The iPhone ages well?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Mar 8, 2013.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

To bad it "ages" before you even open the box and peel of the plastic film.

3. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose that's true. But I kinda like the idea of my phone developing some character. I don't want a shattered screen but scratching and such is not so bad looking I think

4. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Ermahgerd pay 100's of $ extra for 'the vintage look' iPhone.
    It may be the case with the first generation iPhone but the 3G/3GS are plastic, the iphone 4/4S is glass and the iPhone 5 with it's extremely scratch resistant metal and glass backplate aren't likely to age in any way appealing.

5. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's true. But I sometimes feel that putting a case on the phone makes it look cheap. I like the way it looks with nothing on it so I should put a case on it to protect that look just seems silly.

6. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of cases, I prefer without. I use my iPhone 5, iPad Mini and usually all my apple products without a case.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I often wonder why, other than protection, people buy cases for their iPhones. I can understand a clear, or slim case, but one that changes the appearance of the phone? Why buy an iPhone if you intend to change the look of the iPhone with a case? What's the point?

I have the black iPhone 5 and with this whole "Scuffgate" thing I'm expecting my iPhone to have a nice looking matte silver strip all the around it in about a year or so.

8. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Because people buy a phone for what it can do, not what it looks like.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Wow. OK. That's so NOT why I bought my iPhone. Design was a big consideration for me.

I guess Apple is needlessly throwing away a lot of money in employing Jony Ive and the entire design team.

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

People get cases to personalize their phone and make it their own. Not a hard concept.

11. Random 995K macrumors 6502

Does the plastic of your note 2 go yellow as well? ;)

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, not a hard concept. And I get that people want to make the iPhone their own. It's just not something I'd personally do.

To each their own. I just prefer that my iPhone look like an iPhone, not some neon or plastic piece of junk or something that's hidden so deep in one of those defender cases that it looks like a device you'd find at a medical research facility and is just as difficult to use because the case is in the way.

13. jaenicky macrumors member

Not everyone is so hung up on the look of an iphone. They just want a good functional phone.
    Not trying to be rude but your comment makes you sound so vain.

14. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I never let my stuff get to that state, I'm surprised it kept working for so long. I've been very careful with my iPhone 4 and I have a bumper case on it yet the home button and camera are ****ed :(

15. eyoungren, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No offense taken. I've been accused of sounding much worse. :)

Why buy an iPhone though? If design or looks aren't valued as much as function then certainly there are any number of other phones out there that will serve. I can't be any more vain than the person who buys an iPhone just for the status.

16. makotoisle macrumors 6502

A lot of people prefer iOS to Android. Many have had a bad experience with an Android phone, some have expensive iOS apps that they don't want to replace, or some use other Apple products and want to stay inside the ecosystem.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Very true. Unfortunately, we can't test the complete veracity of that because Apple does not make an ugly iPhone. Hypothetically though, if Apple did make an ugly iPhone, I would bet that there would be some movement away from this stance.

Don't get me wrong. If people want to buy an iPhone and/or put a case on their iPhone for whatever reason, I'm not against them doing that. I just don't see any point in covering up what I consider to be an object of art in and of itself. But people do that all the time with other things.

Personal taste.

18. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

How does everyone feel about putting their naked phone down on a table? I always worry about it getting something on it and that's the main reason I want to out a case on it. But I don't think that's reason enough to add bulk, make it even a little bit heavier, and just take away from the overall aesthetics.

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I usually put it down on something. A napkin, a placemat, a book, whatever. As long as something is between it and the surface it's on.

20. AFDoc, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Don't you folks ever get tired of pulling this one out of the bag? Get over it, some of their phones aren't 100%.... Millions produced, hundreds with issues, seems pretty good to me!

On of the most short sighted posts I've seen here. Maybe they like the way the phone "works" but want to protect it OR god forbid decorate it to their liking.
    Why have paint on a car, colored carpet or drapes, colored clothes? Humans accessorize everything we own, why not do the same with our phones?
    This statement however was even more short sighted. Seems it's all or nothing, black or white with you. Just because YOU bought it to look at, I believe the majority of people bought their phones for what it can do for them.

I guess the ultimate question is why does anyone care what others do with their phones? I have a graft leverage bumper with a red trunket wood back. I think it looks awesome and will rock this for a while.

21. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I know many people who had the original iPhone (myself included), and normal wear and tear did NOT make it look like that. That level of fading was very deliberate and precise, not typical at all.

You bought it just because it looks pretty? Seriously? :facepalm:

As long as it has iOS and functions well, most people couldn't care less how it looks (with or without a case, just look at how many people buy those huge ugly Otterbox cases). They spend between $200 - $900 on this device, and a case protects it from drops, spills, and/or other accidents.

There are a lot of people who don't like the look of the iPhone 5, just look around the MR forums from back in September. That still didn't stop the iPhone 5 from being the best selling iPhone.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Read my statements again. I mention a case for protection. I also state that what you do with it is your own business. It's just my personal opinion that doing that ruins the look of the phone.

Would you take a brand new Ferrari to Earl Schieb and have them paint it neon pink? How about covering up your drapes or carpet because the sun will fade them? Never washing your colored clothes because the washing machine will tear them up?

What I do with my own iPhone is my own business, just like what others do with theirs is their own. I just choose not to cover the natural beauty of my own iPhone and to USE my iPhone. That's all. If that makes it black and white, so be it.

No, I don't care what you do with your own iPhone. Do what you want. Maybe that's why Apple makes only black or white though. They know it's just going to go into a case so ultimately it doesn't really matter what the outside of the iPhone looks like. The customer will change it to taste anyway.

23. palasmidas macrumors newbie

Because some cases actually look good. There are some cases they actually complement the shape of the phone. Also, some cases are comfortable.

Naked iPhones will always, always smudge.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No. I didn't. I said design was a major consideration of mine. But function was also a factor.

If most people could not care less about how it looks as long as it functions, then other than some extenuating circumstance such as needing iOS or a bad experience with Android, I ask again. Why iPhone? If all you need is function, there are much cheaper devices. Why is the Otterbox huge and ugly if all we care about is function?

Protection is great. In two years when your contract is up you'll have a perfect iPhone that may or may not continue to be used but will have spent two years in an ugly case and may be in that same ugly case until you upgrade. A perfect iPhone no one can appreciate because it was locked away in an ugly case.

No it didn't. I don't like the look of the iPhone 4 or 4S. But others do and it was a best seller in it's time. My point wasn't about one iPhone over another. It was about covering up the natural beauty of the device, whatever that device is.

----------

I agree. Again, just a matter of personal taste.

25. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

You're funny. :)