The iPhone cheap knockoff/clone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GeorgieAcevedo, May 1, 2012.

1. GeorgieAcevedo, May 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012

GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Doesn't this remind you of them? good job rim
    [​IMG]

2. war eagle macrumors 6502a

3. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

http://m.gizmodo.com/5906629/blackberry-10

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

A really piss poor photoshop job. ;)

A lot of those screens are simulated.

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah a bit more info would help.

Edit: just saw OP posted a link. Thanks

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

huh? I wouldn't call it a piss poor PS job at all. In fact, even if the screens are simulated, it's still the real device. I'm not sure where you are coming from? It's the new BB10..

7. rjohnstone, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The screens are clearly simulated. And the "London" device is still a prototype, not an actual product.
    And the stills are mockups. (Photoshopped)

Here is the Dev Alpha unit (not actual product)
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/01/blackberry-10-dev-alpha-hands-on/
    Looks more like Android than iOS and nothing like the piece of fiction in the OP's video.

8. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

All I have to say is that I could still probably type that sentence faster than the video did with the predictive text.

9. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

lol

10. scaredpoet, May 1, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually I tried it with my iPhone and did it in about half the time.

It's an interesting idea, what RIM's got going there, but the problem is that it slows you down because you have to scan the entire area of the keyboard to pick out the right word you might want.

That can be ignored of course. But, pretty much everything I saw in that demo video flies in the face of everything that die hard RIM users have said make them cling on to their Blackberries, and what RIM has doggedly marketed as what makes Blackberries "tools, not toys." A hardware keyboard, defined specific actions instead of "discoverable" gestures, and a on "toy-like" interface are all gone from BB OS 10.

Not to mention... there's no actual innovation being shown here. Sure, the "catch the floating name and pull it down with your thumb to answer the call" thing is cute, but everything else: camera, touch screen, swipe gestures, being able to send video to another video device... aren't' these all things smartphones already have?

Yeah, okay, RIM does have to start somewhere.And if this OS were available on Blackberries for sale, today, then I would likely be less critical. Finally, RIM has caught up! But then there's that other little problem... the public can't buy these Blackberries with this OS yet.

[​IMG]

All that's are there are alphas for the devs, which are, by everyone's account, basically shrunk-down playbooks, even down to the same display resolution in a smaller physical package. When is the public getting their hands on this catch-up device? Near the end of the year. Maybe.

And by then the next iPhone and iteration of iOS will be out, and Android will have their next gen devices out, and Windows Phone will also have had some time to mature.

This isn't shaping up well for RIM, I'm sorry to say. And that's sad because, honestly, I used to say that if I couldn't use iOS, I'd be using a Blackberry...

11. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I don't disagree with anything ur saying. I just didn't get the "bad photoshopping job" comment. It's very good work, actually. Whether or not we like or dislike the physical design is irrelevant. I'm just talking PS skills. Not the best, but def not bad.

On a side note, I actually like the design...it looks very iPhone-ish.

12. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

According to the reporters at the event, this is not the actual device, just a shrunk down version of the Playbook and not the final product. Just like the software was just a shrunk down version of the Playbook OS.

Basically, everything was vaporware. There wasn't even an alpha version of BB10 for devs to start coding with. Based on this event, I will be surprised if RIM can even get BB10 out this year. My guess is that time frame will slide. And of course, by then the ip5 and a slew of new and better Android devices will be out. Chances are the 'new' BB will be obsolete before the first one arrives in a customers hand.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, if RIM actually manages to release this OS on hardware and ship it this fall, then they have, I'd say, another year to use that platform to propel themselves forward (or at least, keep up with the competition).

If not, then this will look a lot like a dark chapter out of Apple's history, and the Copland OS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copland_(operating_system)#Developer_release

14. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I have a feeling this is Blackberry's last chance at a cell phone company. If BB10 flops, then they are done for. They will likely be turned into a mobile software development company, which would be the only way they could save themselves. Which is sad, they did bring us all into the smartphone world.

As for the phone itself, besides the fact that it isn't even a real phone, you guys say its a copy of the iPhone. Ok, maybe, but there are A LOT of candybar-style phones out there, so its basically just copying the loads of phones already on the market. Besides, it'll likely change a bit before it goes on sale. And thats IF it goes on sale.

15. DerekRod, May 1, 2012

DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

BB10 isnt actually on these devices its just Playbook 2.0 software.These devices are Alpha units solely to help devs tailor apps for bb10.Also the camera app is cool.Competition is always good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztFimQiJRWI