The iPhone GPS kind of sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HurricaneDC, Jul 23, 2009.

1. HurricaneDC macrumors newbie

I was driving down I-66 in Virginia today using my iPhone's GPS and noticed that it's pretty awful. Most of the time it DID have my location, but occasionally it would suddenly show me as drifting off the road and into the woods or bodies of water. I can assure you I did no such thing. It would also sometimes stop tracking me even though the little track button was blue.

Also the compass pisses me off. I'll be pointing the phone East while I'm driving East and it will say that I'm facing North or something ridiculous like that (on both the Compass and Google Maps).

I know the TomTom GPS software & cradle promise to have "enhanced GPS performance." Does that mean not having the fail that I described above?

2. netslacker macrumors 6502

Read the manual, the compass doesn't work with lots of interference. There's probably no better place for interference than a car...

3. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

Also it was probably not the gps being the main issue. it was probably as you were using google maps which has to load the maps as you drive along. So if you do not have 3G signal it is going to lag. If you buy one of the sat nav softwares then you should have better luck. I have Sygic on my phone and it is brilliant

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Echoing the others, the GPS is dependent on the maps. Someone can correct me, but Google doesn't strike me as interested in constantly maintaining their maps.
    If you want up to date maps, you'll have to suck it up and buy a Garmin or one of the other GPS systems.

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

yes, it can be kind of sucky on gmaps, but on a dedicated sat nav app, i find it accurate to within a metre when driving

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

I've found Google's maps to be extremely accurate.

7. Ilandy macrumors newbie

The GPS on the iPhone 4s totally blows! When driving it lags big time. If I want it too actually tell me the true direction I'm walking/driving I have to wait a couple minutes and even then sometimes it never works. This is one component that droid has done far better than apple. This is a pain in the a** fix this apple!

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I completely disagree. I've been using the GPS and MotionX Drive for years on my 3Gs and now my 4s and it's great. I use it over the built in system in my car even. I drive 30k yr and live by it.

I've not seen it lag at all. You seriously can't tell what direction you're traveling, even walking ?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good job bringing up a thread from July 2009:rolleyes:

10. white4s macrumors 65816

oem maps app is terrible. i have the mapquest 4 mobile

11. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

Well, if he didn't, some ***** would rip on him for starting a new thread and NOT using the search button
    (can't win on this site, geeze) :rolleyes:

12. DroidRules macrumors 65816

13. DroidRules macrumors 65816

HuH?

14. cynics macrumors G3

I have the latest Tele atlas and navteq maps in dedicated gps device and find google maps to be just as accurate. I believe google may even own one of those companies. Both leaders in the electronic mapping game.

15. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I've found with the TomTom GPS app, it has been very accurate.. I have no complaints with the GPS in the 4S.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

TomTom works great on my iPhone 4. I have no complaints.

17. yang88she macrumors regular

This ^

I love that the bottom left corner turns red if you are going over speed limit :D

18. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

SAME HERE!!!! TomTom really goes all out.. I was hesitant in buying the app($$$), but SOOO happy I made the decision. One of my favorite!

19. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I've never encountered an real GPS issue, even in my house. NAVIGON or Google Maps has never really done me wrong. Even on my iPad no issues with GPS.

I'll assume some people GPS are bad though, I've seen a friends who's GPS is all over the place.

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I've used dedicated GPS receivers for couple of decades or so. I have Garmin on my 4S and found it lags. So much so that I missed a turn where there were a few streets less than a block apart while going about 25 MPH. In some cases the indicator does not move and then jumps a block or so to catch up with me. No other apps running. Complete view of the sky. Same car that's had no issues with stand-a-lone Garmins.

21. Timzer macrumors 6502

Seriously, nothing can touch Google navigation. And anyone trying to make the argument otherwise is just kidding themselves. This is one thing I will miss when I completely move over to Windows Phone. But I have a standalone Garmin that is more than accurate to take over.

22. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

My suggestion to you is throw all of your electronic devices in the garbage and call it a day. :D and please get rid of your shovel you used to dig this thread up and don't use it again. :eek:

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm still sticking with my Garmin Nuvi. It does everything I need and doesn't run down the iPhone battery.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

No doibt if they OP had created a new thread, he/she would have been accused of not searching the forums properly.... :rolleyes:

In any case, the GPS signal on my 4S is quite good and I have been impressed by its accuracy. However, there are conditions in which GPS doesn't work well (like being very north....). Unless somebody has compared the GPS performance of the iPhone versus other devices simultaneously, it is hard to draw any conclusions .

The problems with GPS in general make me wonder if the solution of supplementing GPS satellites with fixed land beacons wouldn't work better. GPS is for smart bombs - it was never really designed from the ground up for civilian transportation.

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

The iPhone GPS post 3G version is superb, you just need to use the right app with it. TomTom, Garmin or Navigon are great for starters.