The iPhone handsfree headphones with 3.0 or the 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Jon-Luke, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Anyone who has a iPhone 3G will remember or still be using the headset that came with the phone. (I have since upgraded to the Apple in-ear headphones with mic)

I am very happy with the sound quality and the clicker works the same way that the earbuds that came with the phone. It is able to answer calls and control the iPod functions. But the volume controls have never worked.

Recently I upgraded to a unibody MacBook Pro and was please to note that the volume controls on the in-ear headphones worked perfectly. Now when I bought the headphones they were not rated to work with the iPhone they were meant to only be for the new iPods. But now if you look at the webpage for the earphones click here you will notice that the headphones are now rated to work with the iPhone 3G S.

Does anyone know if this is purely a hardware thing... or does anyone know if the volume controls may work with the older iPhone 3G once the 3.0 software upgrade has been done.

Any info would be appreciated. :rolleyes::apple:

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

They work exactly like they do now on the 3G with 3.0 (i.e. everything except volume control works). They work fully with the 3G S. I'm guessing there must be some hardware difference that stops the volume control working on the 3G

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yea, the missing connector for those controls.

4. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

can you use regular non apple in ear headphones with the 3g S?

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

As far as we know - yes. I suspect it's the same port as on the iPods so you can.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah, that would be the obvious reason, but there are no extra segments on the in ear 'phones compared to the standard iPhone headphones (both have 3 rings and a tip) so it must be a bit more subtle than that...