The iPhone lightning connector

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pagemakers, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Apple have just delivered three lightning connector cables to me today.

I am absolutely astonished by how small the connector actually is.

While I'm in favour of the connector I am a little bit concerned as to how it will be incorporated in future builds of speakers.

The connector is so delicate I would be unsure of supporting an iPod nano when on it let alone an iPhone or iPad.

Speaker manufacturers are going to have to come up with a new way of connecting with the lightning connector because simply replacing the current connector with the new one is not going to solve the problem.

Maybe that's why Apple hasn't released the dock for the iPhone 5 because the connector simply wouldn't support the weight of the phone.

Just wait until you see one in the flesh!!!

2. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Very!

Attached Files:

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Lightning is an all digital connection (unlike the 30 pin). So any new speaker setup will have to have built in digital to analog converters (unless you use the 30 pin adaptor) to use Lightning. You can't just replace the connectors. It's also likely most will use BlueTooth or WiFi (AirPlay) instead.

5. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

The majority of portable speakers on the market at the moment are not Bluetooth or airplay enabled.

There must be a reason for that. Cost I would imagine.

6. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

That thing is small!!! A lot smaller than I thought.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That is because they are analog 30 pin analog connection. This is the least expensive way. However Lightning is digital only so they must be redesigned and can't just change their connectors.

8. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

On the plus side, it will be great to have a connector that can be plugged in in either orientation. No "up" and "down."

9. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Yes but what I was trying to say my initial post was I think it is unlikely that the lightning connector will be sitting at the bottom of the speaker that you simply slip your phone or iPod into as you do now.

The connector is so small it would barely support the weight of an iPod nano.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

In my head I think it's about 1cm wide, but I keep seeing pictures contradicting that thought :p

Guess I'll have to see it for myself on Friday.

11. dgstan macrumors 6502a

But even with the old 30-pin connector, docks/speakers always have some kind of additional support. The connector should not be supporting the entire weight of the phone. If it is, you're probably using it wrong.

12. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

With the headphone jack on the bottom, would manufacturers maybe use that to help stabilize the phone when sitting on a dock?

13. txflyfish macrumors member

14. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I got my two cables today, too. The connector is small but it shows you what digital can bring as the 30 pin connector was so out of date.

15. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Wow that's incredibly small. I was wondering the same thing as you though. How can such a small hole support a phone or iPod in a speaker dock? Plus adding the attachment seems like it may cause it to wobble more?

16. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

In comparison the the 30 pin connector, it is small but i would not say flimsy. I woul dbet it feels just right when you plug it into the 5!:)

17. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Just measured it and it is a HALF CM wide!!

18. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

My ihome alarm clock solely supports the phone with the 30 pin connector. I've never had a problem with it.

But yeah, I doubt the new lightning connector will be able to support the phone's weight!

19. orange42 macrumors 6502a

A lot of new speakers are probably gonna end up having a loose lightning wire with a new stand/dock for the phone now I bet. I feel like there's no way the phone can just sit on a speaker dock with that tiny thing.

20. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

A good dock will support the phone with something other than the connector. The connector is never meant to support the phone, even with the 30 pin. That's why docks and speakers would break if they were used without the adapters for each individual device

21. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

I mean I bet they will use the headphone jack to transmit audio and to help support. Have you noticed that on the new iPhone, iPod touch, and iPod nano that the headphone jack is on the same side and roughly the same distance from the dock connector. That way they won't have to convert audio to analog and it will support it better.

22. appswipe macrumors 6502

Obviously you shouldnt try this, but do you think you could snap the connector part off? It has a metal frame but its also pretty thin so Im just curious of the durability vs a simple micro USB connector.

23. leenak macrumors 68020

You know, I was going to wait to order them but went to order a couple and they are sold out... now I wonder how long it'll take them to be available on Amazon?

24. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

liking how early adopters of these are saying how small they are, should fit nice into a bag with the small size of the USB connector is anyway.

Only disappointing thing is that it didn't include usb 3 when its called lightening, but of a bummer.

25. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Worthless without an improvement in Flash memory speed.;)