iPhone X The iPhone X to me really feels like the successor to the 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cmiller4642, Feb 20, 2018.

1. cmiller4642 macrumors regular

The previous 7 years have all had great iPhones (the 6S Plus was my favorite until the iPhone X came out), but they all just felt like slight modifications of the 4's design.

But the iPhone X just feels like.... I don't know. It feels like what Steve Jobs was shooting for the iPhone to eventually evolve into.

I liked the phablet form factor in the 6 plus-8 plus models, but this one is just better in the hand IMO (although I would personally buy an iPhone X Plus because I have big hands)
    [​IMG]

2. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The flaw in your reasoning presupposes that the iPhone 4 design (as it was released) was a finished design such that all other future phones would be based on that foundational finished product. I submit such is not the case. In my opinion, all of the released iPhone are ultimately transitional phones. They are transitional in that the technology behind each and every one is, and has been ongoing behind the scenes.

I think the comparison falls short.

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Where's the love for the iPhone 5? The 5 reduced the size of the top and bottom bezels, and was lighter than the 4.

4. cmiller4642, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018

cmiller4642 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm definitely not criticizing the design, but the 4 was the OMG REVOLUTIONARY design, while the 5-8 (IMO) were just refining that year and year and making it better. the iPhone 8 is the ultimate refinement of the 4 to me.

But the iPhone X is another OMG REVOLUTIONARY design.

It'll get refined over the next few years, and I guarantee you that there will be an iPhone model where the biggest selling point is that the notch is gone in a few years.

5. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I'd say it's more like the SE is the refinement of the 4 design, and the 8 is the refinement of the 6, but I agree about your other point. Their goal will be to make the items that are currently in the notch hide under the display, somehow.

6. puma1552 Suspended

The 4/4S are so ugly now. They were amazing at the time, and the glass back is still so great, but they were dead to me when the 5 form factor arrived.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree with your iPhone comparisons. In terms of physical changes, the iPhone drastically doesn’t change all that much over the course of its generation. With the iPhone X, the biggest changes I think will be physically will be integrating the sensors/Camera/speaker to minimalize the notch, but that likely is at least another two years before we see anything improved.

8. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

@cmiller4642 - Although I get the sentiment but can categorically say that Steve jobs didn’t have any idea about how the device will look after 10 years.

@Andres Cantu - completely agree with your comparison.

9. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Uhhh…No.

I waited one entire year to upgrade to the iPhone 5 when I was eligible to upgrade. Because the 4s was based on the look of the 4 and I did not like the look of the 4 (and still really don't, even though I own a 4s now).

The iPhone 4 also introduced the era of the FUGY bumper! Encase your iPhone in this plastic garbage and make it look like cheap neon junk. Just ugly.
    Again. No. Flip phone over on the front. See that camera bump on the back? Guess what? I don't like it. Why? It's not flush with the housing. Apple quadrupled down on the ugly camera bump.

This is the major reason I will not buy the X.

So. Just no.

I don't care about the notch, but if you're telling me Apple is going to refine and get rid of the camera bump I may reconsider. If you mean they will refine the phone and the camera bump will get even uglier…then no.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Do you feel that the 6 to 8 model phones are transitional? that's 4 iterations of pretty much the same design. I think by the 7 that design lost the transitional tag

11. ScreenSavers macrumors 6502

ScreenSavers

I feel like the iPhone 6 design was nothing like the iPhone 5 and even less like the 4- all nice designs for their time.

12. Ffosse macrumors 68000

The 8 is a nice design, better than the preceding bunch since the 6, at any rate.