The January Verizon iPhone speculation isn't for the iPhone - it's for the iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Apple..., Nov 11, 2010.

?

Yes or No?

1. Yes - it's for the iPad

7 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. No - it's for the iPhone

54 vote(s)
    64.3%
  3. Yes - it's for the iPhone and iPad

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. No - it's just rumors -> nothing's going to happen

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

My reasons:

- a brand new (or even revised) iPhone 4 for Verizon doesn't make sense, since the next WWDC event (iPhone 5) would be just around the corner
    - a 2nd generation iPad is expected around that time
    - Verizon is already carrying the iPad/ has an agreement with Apple
    - etc.

Those three points pretty much sum it up. Anyone else have any more supporting/ non-supporting reasons? Thoughts? I think it's a strong possibility. I just don't see Verizon getting the iPhone in January. If they do, Steve had better have a good explanation... :D

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

If there was going to be a Verizon compatible iPad in the next two months, I doubt that Verizon would be bundling one with a mifi right now. I would imagined that they would just wait.

Contrary to popular opinion, there will be no keynote or presentation for a Verizon iPhone. if there is an Apple/Verizon announcement in Early 2011, there will probably just be a press release saying iPhone is going to Verizon on 'x' date.

Also keep in mind that the Wall Street Journal has been Apple's choice outlet to leak things recently. They reported iPhone and I doubt they would confuse that with iPad.

3. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

That's possible, but I see nothing wrong with Verizon offering the iPad + MiFi right now and then releasing a CDMA iPad later. They could always keep both options! (Wi-Fi only iPad with Mi-Fi, as well as plain CDMA iPad - there's nothing wrong with choice)

I still don't find a January Verizon iPhone launch/ announcement very likely though...

4. gatearray macrumors 65816

Nobody that I know is expecting iPad v2 in January, more like April.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

I never say never with Apple, but it's unlikely the'yre going to add CDMA to the iPad. It's a world product and GSM is the dominant format in most of Apple's markets. As it stands now, the iPad is carrier-agnostic, it just happens to ship with an AT&T microSIM in the US, but it's not married to the carrer in the same way that the iPhone is.

6. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

You never know, especially with the competition that's expected to come around that time...

True. Thanks for pointing that out! ;)

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Since when has Apple cared about the competition and released a product earlier to compete?

The iPad will definitely be on a annual cycle, just like every other iDevice, so March/April is the best time to expect the next iPad.

8. Syk macrumors 6502a

So you think there would be a CDMA iPad and a sim based one for AT&T? I can see a CDMA iPad. You don't really need voice and data with it.

If they were to release one I would consider the Verizon one over the AT&T model.

I figure if I have my jailbroke iPhone with MyWi and a Verizon iPad I should have all my bases covered when traveling. I could tether my AT&T if needed.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would say your guesses are incorrect for the very reasons you think they're plausible. There IS a CDMA iPhone. Whether it's produced for the US (aka Verizon) is another question that will be solved in January.

10. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

The recent flurry of Verizon iPhone rumors from such a wide range of both small and big name sources makes me think there is something to the rumor. Here's what I could see happening:

January: Announce the CDMA-only Verizon iPhone 4
    March: Announce the iPad 2 with a single chipset that supports both CDMA and GSM, perhaps even T-Mobile US bands to make it truly carrier agnostic
    June: Announce the iPhone 5 with same dual-mode chipset, thus returning Apple to manufacturing a single model and reaping the benefits of economies of scale and letting them spread to whichever carriers they choose

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

At first, I thought this was plausible. But then I found myself thinking, why not just skip step 1 and go straight to the single chipset universal model? If the Verizon only iPhone is only going to be needed for half a year, why bother?

12. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I could see them doing it simply because the dual mode chipsets are still fairly new, and they've apparently had a skunkworks style CDMA iPhone for a while, so those would I think be designed around the CDMA-only chipsets. I assume the iPhone 5 will be a somewhat larger redesign, mostly to fix the antenna stuff, so it would be enough of a redesign to incorporate the newer chipsets. Plus, there's supposedly a new manufacturer Apple is going to use in addition to Foxconn, so a small 5-6 month run of a lower production rate model would be a good test run for them.

Again, all speculation, guess we'll see in a few months.

13. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Possibly. You're right though - I've never seen Apple release something early to compete (usually it's just the opposite :D).

I believe there's a CDMA iPhone, I just don't think you'll see it in January. Time will tell... ;)

14. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

15. icyfire macrumors 6502

my guess would be because they have already released the GSM only iPhone 4. To release a brand new CDMA/GSM revision iPhone 4 mid cycle would probably cause some issues with people who had already bought the GSM only version in July (they would feel that they had a bought an inferior model and Apple is leaving them in the dust, similar to how Android manufacturers enjoy releasing a new and improved model every week). Not to mention, we don't know how ATT will take it if they have to push this new dual mode phone mid cycle. Releasing a CDMA only model in January would alleviate that issue until the June/July release of a dual mode iPhone 5.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I wasn't suggesting Apple should release a CDMA/GSM iPhone in January, I was saying why wouldn't they just not release anything in January, and release a CDMA/GSM iPhone 5 in June. In other words, people have waited this long for a Verizon iPhone, what is the urgency in giving it to them half a year early.

17. icyfire macrumors 6502

my guess would be that it's simply competition. That explains why they were so quick to hack together the iPad/Mifi package on Verizon just a week before the release of the Samsung Galaxy Tablet. They probably didn't want to repeat the same mistake of letting Android go unchecked on Verizon like they did with the iPhone. The 6 month gap between Jan 2011 and June 2011 is cruical, especially because Verizon will be releasing their 4G LTE phones. If the iPhone were to show up in June or July, it would be late considering the number of people who will be signed up into contracts for the LTE phones released from Jan 2011 onwards and that will lead to decreased sales. So they're nipping Verizon users in the bud by locking them into iPhone contracts before the LTE ensemble has a chance.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

The Verizon release may have been timed for the week before the Tab's release but that doesn't mean that it was "hacked together". Those deals take time as does the marketing and distribution gear-up. Just because it's news to you doesn't mean that it hasn't been in progress for months before you hear about it.

19. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

your speculation on why there isn't going to be an iphone on VZW is worse than why there probably will be...

20. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

And AT&T frequency. Like the unlocked iPhone I believe it only works on T-Mobile Edge. (If you do the cut the sim card trick).

21. saberahul macrumors 68040

Let's not forget that this thread is almost exactly 2 months old... who knew anything back then?

22. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
  23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you kidding? With the creation of the thread it was over before it begun.

24. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It is too late to modify the iPad for Verizon.
    Likely with iPad 2, AND because iPad 2 is not official, you will hear about it today.

25. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Verizon iPhone + wifi hotspot + wifi iPad = Verizon iPad.