The jobs movie should have began with the iPhone introduction

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tymaster50, Nov 30, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

The iPod was a weird place to start at, should have been the end instead of the think different commercial, with the arguably greatest achievement of his life being the first.

2. hafr macrumors 68030

I've always seen the iPod as the real start... When Apple really became a supplier for the masses.

3. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Yep I feel the same way.

4. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

yeah but for a RIP steve jobs movie shouldn't it have ended with something a litle more recent than 2001? The iPhone was the biggest game changer he made, like everything he made was just leading up to it, he had the computer, and he had the music player, then he combined them together into a device that fits in the palm of your hand while being touch screen and a mobile phone. Just amazing.

5. hafr macrumors 68030

I interpret the movie as explaining how, and what happened before, Steve Jobs became a household name. Not a RIP movie that celebrates his entire career. The iPhone was doubtlessly a huge thing in his career, but the big break for him and Apple, what got the ball rolling, was the iPod.

(You know the iPhone wasn't the first, nor the most powerful, touch screen smart phone on the market, right?)

6. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Yes I do know. But was it as common as it is now?

7. hafr macrumors 68030

The movie is about what happened before the Apple/Jobs era as we know it started - and it started with the iPod. The iPhone might be considered a bigger legacy than the iPod, but that's beside the point.

The movie makers basically divided his adult life (career) into two, and I absolutely agree with them that the iPod is the most natural breaking point.

8. cube macrumors G5

No, the real comeback was OSX. The Cube was my first Mac because I wanted Unix and it was upcoming.

9. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

Any movie about Jobs has to start with the Mac, then OSX, the Job's Mac's then and only then the pod, phone, and pad.

10. hafr macrumors 68030

Who mentioned anything about a comeback? I said I've always considered the iPod to be the first Apple product to be sold to the masses.

11. cube macrumors G5

You said it was the "real start"

12. hafr macrumors 68030

Yes, the real start. The real start of Apple as we know it today. The start of Apple becoming a company that is selling its products to the masses. I'm sorry, but I don't know how much clearer I can be. You misinterpreted my post, simple as that.

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

That movie was all over the place, it shouldn't have started at all

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

While I have not seen the movie, having read the thread, I will make an observation to the effect that wit, originality, verve, vision, etc. etc. that the iPhone represented in terms of sheer technological synthesis......the iPod was what introduced people who were indifferent, or perhaps, even vaguely hostile, to the Apple universe to that very same Apple universe.

The iPod was what moved Apple from being a niche product (yes, beautifully designed, but esoteric, and worse, full of self-regarding geeks admiring their navels in the eyes of much of the non-Apple universe) to the mainstream. Having mastered the marketing required to attract a significant minority of the mainstream, Apple, through the 'halo effect' bestowed by the iPod, (and by the customer service which supported the iPod) attracted customers in the sort of numbers they could only previously have dreamed about.

Hence, any movie - which is a biography of sorts of Mr Jobs - which decides to offer a narrative pause at the point where the iPod was introduced to the world (or public) is making a very serious point: the point where Apple decided to chase the mass market rather than skulk behind effortless (but incomprehensible) superiority.

15. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The rate the movie was playing at, the movie could have been 5 hours easily. The movie just ended with so much more that could have been added...