The King of Executive Orders

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
What's wrong with executive orders? I thought they were acceptable.
Again, the issue is how regularly Obama was vilified by conservatives for his use of EO's.

Now, that trump has issued the most EO's in 72 years, one would expect those same conservatives to criticize that as well ... provided they weren't succumbing to bald-faced, hypocritical partisanship.

What's your theory?

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
“We’re not just going to be waiting for legislation in order to make sure that we’re providing Americans the kind of help they need. I’ve got a pen and I’ve got a phone,” Trump said Tuesday as he convened his first Cabinet meeting of the year.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Again, the issue is how regularly Obama was vilified by conservatives for his use of EO's.

Now, that trump has issued the most EO's in 72 years, one would expect those same conservatives to criticize that as well ... provided they weren't succumbing to bald-faced, hypocritical partisanship.

What's your theory?
I submit my chicken coup analogy from earlier today.
There is very little discussion to exchange ideas...mostly one-upmanship.

Not to shamelessly suck up or anything, but you're one of the few here who's softened my opinion on a few topics. Mostly making me silently challenge my views. So keep in mind you might make a difference, sometimes.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
I submit my chicken coup analogy from earlier today.
There is very little discussion to exchange ideas...mostly one-upmanship.

Not to shamelessly suck up or anything, but you're one of the few here who's softened my opinion on a few topics. Mostly making me silently challenge my views. So keep in mind you might make a difference, sometimes.
I appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately, I haven't been feeling quite as broad-minded and peaceful as I would like. I think I'm succumbing to negativity and would blame the political climate, but that would be an abdication of personal responsibility ... something our president has no clue of.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
I appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately, I haven't been feeling quite as broad-minded and peaceful as I would like. I think I'm succumbing to negativity and would blame the political climate, but that would be an abdication of personal responsibility ... something our president has no clue of.
Aww hang in there. It's easy for the negative to crawl under the skin. I'm not too bright plus I'm forget so I'm never angry long. Oh, I woke up to find it snowing this morning. :mad: At least you don't have to deal with the negativity and snow.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
On the other hand will you and others argue in support of Trump? :)
As I argued when Obama was president, Executive Orders are a perfectly legitimate tool for regulating how the Executive Branch operates. Yet so many of our conservatives friends thought Obama was abusing his power.

I wonder if they think trump is likewise abusing his power.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
What's wrong with executive orders? I thought they were acceptable.
Only when "your guy" on "your team" does it apparently. But when the other guy does it, it's a mortal sin. I think that applies to both reds and blues.

Personally I don't have all that many problems with EO's, but other then trying to look like they are doing something I don't know why a President would want to rely on them much because the next President can just undo them.

I think it is especially stupid to sign any right before leaving office. I suppose that is a political stunt though to say "hey look at what I did" on exhibits in presidential libraries as well as leave the next president open to criticism when they reverse something.

Reactions: Eraserhead

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
perhaps he has to ask his friend from Breitbart:

Resorting to unilateral action by the White House just reveals the fascist roots of American liberalism (and, to be fair, some Republicans like George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, who also resorted frequently to Executive Orders). When some politicians cannot prevail at the ballot box, then they embrace authoritarian models better suited to the fascist states of Europe, Asia and Latin America. Americans who love democracy and the rule of law should reject such alien and destructive models of governance and being anti-American.
oh wait ... this was from 2014 ;)

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/01/29/washington-wall-street-obama-executive-order-threat-recalls-fdr-s-fascism/