"The Kingdom" a form of propaganda...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by princealfie, Sep 28, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

not a great movie but certainly a good one from the current admin's to -watch list... I think that sean hannity has met his match here.

yawners.:confused:

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I can't wait to see it. Having lived in the Kingdom for almost three years, I'm interested in seeing how much is accurate and how much is not. From the previews it's obvious that allowing J. Garner to walk around without an abaya is certainly wrong, but the scenary and natives looked accurate.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I would like to see it too... the previews seem to go out of their way to put a human face on Middle Easterners, which I think, whichever perspective you're from, is a really needed thing in the US.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It's the little things that I'll be looking for that I found amusing when I was there such as SUV's and Mercedes vehicles with curtains across the rear side and back windows so that the women inside couldn't be seen. Visibility for the driver be damned!

There was also the roving bands of mutawah (religious police). I wonder if they've integrated that into the story line.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

the people you refer to, would not even think of going to see this movie.

so its basically, worthless. :rolleyes:

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I guess that's fair. Preaching to the choir as always? Well, maybe they'll get lured in by the explosions. :D

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

See if you can also tell that most of it was filmed in Mesa, Arizona. When I was living out there last year their big set was less than a mile from my house.

8. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I saw it last week as a pre-screener. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though it's hard to watch at times, especially if you're squeamish (which I'm not).

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Good to know. I was wondering if I would see any buildings in Riyadh that are distinctive or not. I guess not unless they used some CGI to incorporate them.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Who all has seen it and what was your opinion? I'm going later tonight but I'm worried since Metacritic and Rottentomatoes have it roughly at 55%.

jon

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It looks boring as s***, also very contrived and Hollywoodish. I won't be there. I'd go see Into the Wild first.

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

You'll also see some Phoenix/Mesa freeway in the movie too. I remember one weekend they shut down a large portion of the freeway to shoot some car chase/explosion scene.

Anyway, I have zero interest in seeing this movie. It looks like just another dumb Hollywood action film.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Those are the only ones that are entertaining, frankly. When I go to a movie, I ain't going to something like "Out of Africa" or "Blades of Fury".

14. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Sorry to get of topic, but do you know if Into the Wild is going to be a wide release? IMDB.com said it was coming out Sep. 21, but I was really dissapointed when I couldn't find it playing anywhere.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

having seen it, I can say it wouldn't be surprising if it were banned in Saudi Arabia

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Having seen it, would you recommend seeing it?

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

it's a big budget hollywood action movie.....either you like that sort of thing or you don't........but don't expect it to do much in the way of "putting a human face" on anybody......and don't take any Saudi friends you might have either

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Are you suggesting they'd put stereotypes, hokum and mindless action before plot, drama and intelligence? :eek: