The Koch Attack on Solar Energy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, May 9, 2014.

1. G51989, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

The Koch Attack on Solar Energy

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/opinion/sunday/the-koch-attack-on-solar-energy.html?_r=0

I thought the Koch Brothers were American heros to the right? Champions of the free market? Lower taxes? And letting the market decide?

Then why are they trying to make it unprofitable and increase taxes on those who choose to buy solar panels?

As Solar power explodes across America and Europe.

These hero of the GOP and the right...want more taxes? More regulations? Surcharges? Costing home owners more money?

Of course they do! It might dent their profits! And they might have to compete with a new form of power production....why compete? When you can just buy off the goverment? And force hard working Americans to pay more for energy they produce themselves?

It seems like the Kochs want to put a tax on something that is free, sunshine.

How DARE property owners generate their own energy? Its freaking communism, and destroying America! According to the the right.

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They really need to be taken to the village center and hanged for the townspeople to watch.

GODDAMN!! They're really playing off the stupidest of the stupid Americans aren't they?

3. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I agree with that.

From their actions in the past few years.

It seems like the right thinks.

Big Business producing energy and selling it at a profit to the homeowner = good

Homeowners producing their own energy to power their homes = bad and communism.

----------

That is what they do man, they totally ignore that energy companies get bigger handouts than any other business in America.

Then attack homeowners for taking a tax credit on solar panels to produce their own energy for their own property.

Then want to throw a huge surcharge on the homeowners making their own power. So they actually lose money in the long term. Because how DARE property owners not buy 100% of their power from the big producers? ITS COMMUNISM!

I am glad I live in a state not run by a bunch of red neck easily bought off idiots. I have solar panels on my business roofs, and my own home. Even without the tax credit, after only 2 and a half years, I'll be Saving TONS of money.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Same here! Even though we have Governor Crispy, he's actually very pro-solar energy. Trinity Solar is scheduled to install the panels on my roof on May 28th! :D

NJ is second only to California when it comes to solar power in the US. That's a nice spit in the face to the Koch fascists.

5. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Love NJ Love Seaside Heights!

Here in New York State, we still got an awesome tax credit, and I bought AWESOME panels, they've cut my electric costs at my business office and machine shop by nearly 30%, I ever went with the wiper option, so if they get snow on them, they can clear themselves with a few swipes ;) I also have a small wind turbine on the roof off the office that saves me another 15%

At home, I put them on top of my 15 bay garage for my cars, and more on my house. During the spring and summer, and fall. And sunny winter periods, I have saved nearly 45% on my power bills. With the tax credit, they already paid themselves off.

I love my solar panels.

I also have a geothermal heating system for the winter, assisted by a 23 SEER Carrier Heatpump/AC/Electric Heat combo with DC motors ;) I save tons of money via that to.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Wow you went all out! Mine are actually leased. They're going to be at a fixed rate of $100 a month for the next 20 years. They're guaranteed in the contract to produce 97% of our energy needs based on our past 12 months of usage. They basically guarantee we won't have an energy bill most months and maybe a small bill in the summer. Which is better than what we pay now, our average bill is $160 and it gets up to $500 in the summer. We're getting a jumbo 9.5KW system with about 40 panels. Luckily we have a roof with a huge surface area and minimal shading and pointing in the perfect direction for optimal energy production. :D

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The Koch Brothers & Their Amazing Climate Change Denial Machine...

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Obviously Dave & Chuckie want all the subsidies. It is no good letting other people get their grubby little hands into the subsidy pie. Especially not if it cuts into their revenue stream, too.

9. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The Koch *** ***** are good examples of billionaires who should have their money taken away from them. :mad:

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have no problem with a reasonable tax or fee on green energy users who are attached to the grid. As a customer, part of my bill pays for the grid's infrastructure. If you have green energy and are connected to the grid, you should pay your share of the upkeep for the infrastructure.

11. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Wow! Now that really shows how wealth envy is in the USA. Rather than support their right to freedom of speech regardless of whether you agree with what they say or not, you feel that their money should be "taken away from them".

Just thought, I'd let you know that we are in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. We don't seize a person's assets or wealth because we disagree with them.

12. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Well, people with stuff like polar panels or windmills on their homes are already paying their share for upkeep of the grid via the power they buy from the power company.

The issue here is that energy companies want to charge them for power they...aren't buying from the grid. They're upset that energy isn't being bought.

So what these energy lobbyists are saying is " Well you aren't buying as much power anymore, so we're gonna charge you for power that we didn't produce because you made your own "

13. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Mmmm....

Were did he write that he wanted their freedom of speech limited or even that he wanted to take their money based on their opinion ?

All he wrote (IMO) was that these 2 are the perfect example of why billionaires should be taxed into oblivion. An OPINION you don't aggree with, but also not so far from those coming up with welfare queens and Obamaphones as a reason to dismantle welfare.

14. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I don't know if it has anything to do with wealth envy on that posters part.

But, what they are trying to do, is charge people with say solar panels or wind turbines on their property, need to pay a tax on that energy, or surcharge because they aren't buying energy from energy companies. It's literally a tax on the sun that only harms middle class homeowners.

Does that kind of lobbying fall under " free speech "

And the Koch Bros are super into lower taxes, or even in some cases removing many taxes completely. But here, they seem to want more taxes. Does that not seem kinda hypocritical?

I find the entire idea of these laws insane, why should I have to pay an extra tax or a surcharge to an energy company when I'm making my own energy with my own equipment to reduce the amount of energy I have to buy from them? I should have to pay my power bill for what I buy. Nothing else.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Wow! You have a tendency of making these type of leaps. I don't envy them their wealth. I dispise their use of it with an exaggerated ability to influence the democratic process towards their own means. Apparantly I have to explain to you that I don't expect their money to be taken from them, but I can fantasize about it because they don't deserve this kind of power. That phrase along with great power comes great responsibility, the Koch brothers who you probably worship, are misusing theirs.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

But yet you would say that they deserve to have their wealth taken from them. It was a pretty clear statement. Here in the USA we don't seize people's wealth because we disagree with them. Now, in a few other countries on this planet, maybe but never in this one.

17. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

I agree with you.

But does it not seem like they are trying to seize peoples via extra taxes and surcharges on people wanting to use green energy? Essentially charging people for energy they never even purchased. It seems like they want other peoples wealth to be seized.

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Thanks for the lecture, lol. Yes I would, no hesitation at all. Think of it as trust busting. Here in America we allow billionaires to corrupt the democratic political process. Apparantly you have no issue that because they earned it and they deserve to do what they want with it. Money always makes right? And yes it was a clear statement of how I feel about the Koch Brothers. They are evil **** heads.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

You got it. It is their money to spend as they wish. They have the same rights and freedoms as any other American. If they want to spend their money on a certain party or group of candidates, so be it.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I am saying they abuse their position, they don't deserve their wealth. It's that simple. I'm not proposing an unofficial militia come take it from them. :p

----------

There is no "so be it" unless you are rooting for the country to fail. It's one of the fundamental problems with this country today. Laws must be passed to prevent this kind of subversion of the democratic process. Money equals corruption, and sitting on a huge pile of it gives individuals undue say in the process that they do not deserve regardless of how rich they are.

21. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Him wanting their money taken has nothing to do with wealth envy. :|

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't see how you can sell oil dependence over alternative energy homegrown in the US and call yourself American.

24. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Would it have killed you to reply to the actual topic of the thread and give your opinion on the anti-American actions of the Koch douches rather than attacking a member who despises them for all the harm they're attempting to do and already have?

----------

Bingo! And people wonder why I call them anti-American....

25. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

The old school energy companies are very clearly good at doing that.