The labels in my Finder sidebar have been renamed suddenly - how to change back?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wineandcarbs, Feb 27, 2012.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I downloaded and installed dropbox and for some reason the labels in my sidebar in finder have now been renamed. DEVICES is now SD5, NETWORKS is SD6, etc. Why did this happen and how do I switch them back? Is this related to my installing Dropbox? It was only after installing it that the labels suddenly changed.

TIA.

2. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! No luck yet...could installing DB be what caused this? I'm on Snow Leopard. still tinkering around with it trying to fix it.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, installing or using Dropbox doesn't cause that to happen.

4. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay. I don't know what I did then. I tried setting up a new account. When I do that, all is well in the new account, but in this account it's all...FUBAR. lol. It's tedious to re-set up everything in a new account but maybe it's what I'll have to do?

Would you recommend just upgrading to Lion or would I face the same issues in Lion?

----------

Macintosh HD is also showing up on my desktop for some reason and I can't get rid of it (when I try to move it to the trash it says I can "eject" it (the eject symbol comes up) but doesn't actually let me).

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've seen several with that issue, but I don't recall if they were running Lion or not.
    Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop:

6. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! That got rid of Macintosh HD on my desktop. lol. This # thing is driving me insane in the membrane though. I don't know what I did to cause it.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Membrane? Do you mean the Finder sidebar? By the way, read my last post in the first link I posted here.

8. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Screenshot please? That will help some of us understand whats going on.

9. wineandcarbs, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Attaching screenshots now :)

Okay - will check for those files and report back. TY.

Attached Files:

10. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Did you try repairing permissions? That may fix the error.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Permissions have nothing to do with this issue. Repairing them won't help.

12. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

GGJstudios - I don't have any of those files.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's good! It doesn't solve your problem, but it eliminates one potential problem.

14. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Ah, good to have some good news. LOL :) This is the first problem I've had with my Mac since I bought it almost a year ago. Until then everything has been very smooth.

15. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay. The only solution I could find was to create a new Admin account, save all my stuff onto my external HDD, log in under the new Admin account, transfer everything under that account, and then delete the old account.

Jeez, that was time consuming.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you worked it out! I haven't found any easier method.

17. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!!! If I download Dropbox now and this happens again....well, at least I already have everything on the external hard drive to create Account #3. LOL :p

(But in all seriousness, thank you for your help; Hopefully I won't face this in the future. The DB downloading right before this happened thing was probably just a coincidence.)

18. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Come on GG, don't you remember your Cypress Hill from the late 80's early 90's? Insane in the Membrane...insane in the brain!!!!! A true classic.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have no idea what you're talking about. :confused:

20. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

No big deal, it wasn't everybody's style of music (I happen to like almost everything so I remember it). It was a lyric from a group named Cypress Hill that was popular during that tie period. Insane in the membrane referred to them going crazy (of course it was chemically induced).

21. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

If you go into Finder, click on Go -> Go to Folder and then type in ~/.MacOSX and go there, does this folder exist? Could be the FlashBack trojan.

22. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I do this, I get "This folder can't be found." So it doesn't exist (which seems to be a good thing??)

I wasn't able to resolve the problem so I ended up creating a new Admin account, copying all my files there, and then deleting the old, problematic Admin account. It was the only thing I could think to do.

And GG, you were right - not DB related because I have DB downloaded now and all is well. Weird coincidence I guess!

23. iforbes macrumors 6502

Enjoy GG! (wait till at least 1:02 or so in...)

I should also mention that the lyrics are NSFW...

24. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Lol. Definitely an acquired taste (as I stated before I have an eclectic taste and like almost anything, have never gotten into Opera though, but pretty much every other style and genre).