Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucidPsychosis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I'll likely be waiting until at least gen 2, probably gen 3 to actually get an iPad. Does anyone think (and I know that at this point it's pure speculation) that tethering will be possible in future models?

Maclee2010

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
Louisville, KY
There is no way that I am going to pay AT&T twice for mobile internet. I will be getting a 32GB Wi-Fi Ipad soon and I love all my Apple products. One of my favorite things about Apple is that since most everything is Unix based, their really are few, if any, restrictions. I love their is no registry (the curse of windows and spyware - virus hell) and I have no issue cracking the device wide open. I understand the At&T and Apple position on tethering, etc, but I am not paying any company twice for the same service. MyWi is the way to go for the limited times when you need that mobile connection.

kevhui

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2008
Yep JB iPhone and install MyWi works. But heard MyWi drain the battery easily.

GorData

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2010
I had my heart set on a 64GB 3G iPad but early yesterday I was giving it some thought and changed my mind. I have a Iphone 3gs and a Palm Pre, both able to be turned into Wifi Hotspot. I decided to just go with 64gb Wifi unit because I already paying for two data plans as is, why add a third. I will be using either phone as a wifi hotspot once in a while but I have Wifi at home and at work and school where I spend greater part of the day. I know its contract free but $30 dollars more seem like a extra bill.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Yep JB iPhone and install MyWi works. But heard MyWi drain the battery easily.

I agree that using MyWi is the way to go for anyone that has an iphone and wants an ipad. If you already have an iphone, there isn't too good a reason to buy a 3G ipad, since you'd be paying for two 3G data plans.

I'd imagine the majority of people bring their iphone with them everywhere, so just pull it out of your pocket, fire up mywi which will take your 3G internet connection from your iphone and make it a wifi hotspot that your ipad can then access. Seems like a perfect setup for me.

The only downside is you have to jailbreak your iphone, but I've done that and it isn't as big a deal as you might imagine. I just wish Apple would allow mywi as an authorized iphone app, but I'm guessing ATT is blocking that.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I thought AT&T was working on a tethering solution for the iPhone a while ago... I guess that never came to existence..

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Does anyone think if you have the Net Share app for the iPhone would you be able to connect the iPad via Wi-Fi to it?:)

I would imagine this would work. I use it occasionally to connect my MacBook.

But, I also have a Motorola Droid hacked (a.k.a., rooted) with WiFi tethering enabled. Very fast and a perfect solution to the WiFi iPad I ordered.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Of course, AT&T still hasn't got laptop - to - iPhone tethering formally allowed yet, so why would this be different?

As a consumer, why would you care about silly regulations as this? I'm pretty darned sure, that even the (somewhat silly, as it is being portrayed in the rest of the world) US legal system isn't so corporate-driven that a service provider could dictate that it it OK to use device X with this dataplan, unless the actual usage comes from device Y. You're paying for a connection, it's up to you how you choose to use said connection as long as you aren't breaking any laws while doing so.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I would imagine this would work. I use it occasionally to connect my MacBook.

But, I also have a Motorola Droid hacked (a.k.a., rooted) with WiFi tethering enabled. Very fast and a perfect solution to the WiFi iPad I ordered.

I thought that Net Share only worked like the existing tethering option with the iPhone (either through Bluetooth or USB). I am one of the lucky ones that was able to buy the application, but I've never used it. I'm going to have to do some experimenting.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
As a consumer, why would you care about silly regulations as this? I'm pretty darned sure, that even the (somewhat silly, as it is being portrayed in the rest of the world) US legal system isn't so corporate-driven that a service provider could dictate that it it OK to use device X with this dataplan, unless the actual usage comes from device Y. You're paying for a connection, it's up to you how you choose to use said connection as long as you aren't breaking any laws while doing so.

Not so. you are obligated to the terms of use.

So if you use the data service, you are required to agree to the terms of use.

That does not mean you can't decide to agree and then ignore your agreement. But it also means that the carrier can terminate your service if they determine that you have done so.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010

Yes, and the terms of use are obligated to conform with the law. Granted, I do not know exactly what rights you are given as a consumer in the US, but at least here across the pond in Finland the law states that you could wipe your hind quarters with such terms of use.

Maclee2010

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
Louisville, KY

So if you use the data service, you are required to agree to the terms of use.

That does not mean you can't decide to agree and then ignore your agreement. But it also means that the carrier can terminate your service if they determine that you have done so.

catch me if you can...spooof :D

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I just tried Net Share. It works. Interesting app. I don't think it will work on the iPad, however. The iPad would need the ability to start a new network. I know for sure the iPod Touch doesn't have this ability.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
That's why I love my Motorola Droid. I tether and doesn't cost me a penny extra. Now I can cruise the net on my MBP anywhere. Too bad Apple left out a USB port on the iPad. Could have tethered which would have made me more inclined to buy one. But since it lacks USB, a camera, and has a small screen (and not in 16:9), I will NOT be buying one.

My wish is for a 17" high res anti-glare version with USB and a camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.