All iPads The lack of new iPad features in iOS 10 was a little shocking

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ghost31, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I made a post probably...last year? Predicting iOS 10 would be a BIG update for iPad. That I thought the iPad Pro was just the start of something special and they wanted to get the hardware out there before really blowing us away with great software improvements. I was dead wrong. Those software improvements never came. What we ended up getting at the wwdc keynote was a long iPhone software unveiling and then at the end "this stuff will be on iPad as well". Then that was pretty much it.

Now there are some really basic things that we have wanted and it's just really....grrrr. It's hard to watch concept videos these days because you see these great ideas that never come to fruition and you're always asking why. Why is split screen selecting an app so jumbled. Why do we literally have to go through a list of every app we have to find the one we want? Why can't we drag content between split screen? That would be amazing for productivity. Why haven't notifications been totally revamped vs small tweaks that never really made a significant difference in usability? What about apps that really emphasize "pro"? Why couldn't we have had at least one pro app from Apple on the iPad to really show what it was capable of? A final cut. A logic. A freaking me Xcode that could make iPad and iPhone apps RIGHT on your iPad and publish. That would have blown my pants clean off. This step from Apple would have inspired others to do more.

I don't know man...I love my iPad. It's my favorite device ever. It's just a little confusing how slowly the software is progressing at this point when the hardware capability is obviously there. I'm going into every keynote now with extremely low expectations. And I hate that. I feel like I used to be a lot more impressed with what they presented. Like there was this pattern of us begging for specific features for a year or two and then boom. Apple provides and has this great implementation of the features we wanted. Now? Apple is just...Apple. They don't seem to really respond to the market at all anymore except to introduce different watch bands or sizes of iPads. I know they aren't doomed, but I am a little worried about them becoming a little too complacent

2. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I remember hearing from more than one Apple pod caster that they heard we were getting more iPad features in a subsequent iOS 10 update shortly after iOS 10 releases. They were shooting for it being a 10.1 thing.

3. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Any idea what features we might/possibly/I don't know if we'll be getting? If it's anything I listed, I'll be on cloud nine.

4. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Afraid none of them were any more forthcoming than that. But if I were to guess based on what they complain about the pro lacking, it'd be a combination of things that we'd like as well as some things most of us don't care about. Apple has been pushing the idea of podcasting on a Pro. But you can't do that right now because you can't do something like record a Skype call. Core Audio just doesn't allow multiple audio streams at once. Probably some multitasking fixes, since the multitasking UI is a mess and they seem to be learning to be less dogmatic about design.

That being said, there was a slight implication that these UI elements (like notifications) might be made to make sense on a screen like the iPad Pro. But it's all rumor at this point, so who knows. Apple could have tricked up the sources that these people have and deliver nothing for the Pro.

As for the app from (logic, final cut, Xcode)? I don't see that happening, sadly, for a long time (if ever). I think Apple is not as quick to cannibalize their own products as they used to be. Plus, I don't think Apple wants to compete on the app front on iOS because they want their precious third party. I think they're waiting for others to come out with great things and they come out with mediocre. Look at iWork. It used to be a decent Office competitor. Now? Not so much.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

iOS has always been a phone/iPod OS that they just slapped onto larger screens for tablets, with few modifications. At least there are many tablet optimized apps, which makes it better than Android in that regard.

Say what you will about Microsoft, but having full Windows on tablets, and making Windows a more touch/tablet friendly OS has made for some interesting devices.

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

As Michael Goff mentioned in the second post of this thread. iOS 10 isn't over, we only know what 10.0 brings. We still have 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 if they go that far. Not always but generally x.y updates are about adding new features. Definitely not out of the realm of possibility that more iPad centric additions can be done in any of those major updates.

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Your post echoes what I feel.

Apple can really extend the iPad in many ways, but they're dragging their feet. A real shame.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Apple knows iOS 10 features are missing they just want to be careful and see how SP4 features people used the most, they will add to next iOS 10.1

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I really don't believe Apple is looking at the SP and seeing what is successful there so that they will incorporate it in the iPad line.

10. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

11. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

I didn't realize that.. it should come in handy.

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Apple needs to make it more noticeable. It's in the tab/zoom out button. You hold it and the option pops up.

Attached Files: