"The Last 100 Days: Obama in China edition"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Sep 3, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

https://www.yahoo.com/news/last-100-days-obama-china-000000357.html

Article has more.

What's your input on it?

Also, other readers' comments are remarkably harsh, nor am I copying the whole of them or even one post in particular that's tinfoil hat worthy - you'll know it when you see it.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Article is fine but the comment you paste is highly curated and biased. Looks like it is some sort of CCP supervised comment. China is right on every way, and United States is wrong in every way.
    Really? Where is the complexity of real world? But yeah. There are must be guys loving binary world.

3. citizenzen, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I ran across this news story that adds to the intrigue ...
    What the heck is going on?

Edit: this from the Washington Post ...
    The next president will have fun with this relationship. It doesn't feel like a new Russia, but it does sound strained.

4. 1458279 Suspended

There's no reason for the TPP to be such a secret. Obama wants to pass it in his term, but it's not looking like that'll happen.

Hillary has already picked the words so that she can pass it, by saying she won't pass any trade agreement that hurts American jobs. The gives her the out she needs, much like ObamaCare, they can pass it then when things reach a certain point, insist that other parts be changed to make it work.

It's sad that Obama is focusing on things overseas when we have so many problems here. He's done nothing to fix inner cities or to help bring the nation together.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I read that article too. And I'll admit I found it disturbing.

I don't like to make overly broad generalizations, but it does appear to me that the Chinese Government, and some Chinese people, seem to delight in acting deliberately rudely as part of some sort of political power play. And for various reasons it seems that the Governments of Britain and the United States seem to be the recipients of this unpleasantness.

Even a person as circumspect and non-political as Queen Elizabeth of England was overheard discussing the disgraceful rudeness of some Chinese officials during a State Visit to Britain.

I hope that as a nation China grows out of this sort of behavior. The same way that Chinese tourists visiting London and New York get over their revolting habits of spitting in the street and letting their children defecate on our sidewalks.

6. 1458279 Suspended

Really? They did that or are you making something up? That's sick 3rd world trashy. Never heard about it, always thought well of Asian people.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The Louvre Museum in Paris actually had to put up signs in Mandarin telling Chinese visitors not to defecate in the grounds outside.

The Chinese have quickly claimed the title as the absolute worst tourists in the world. Next to them Germans' monopolizing beach chairs and the English habit of laughing loudly in restaurants seem absurdly quaint and genteel. Americans' overtipping and chewing gum are, these days, looked upon with fond remembrance by several generations of French waiters and concierges.

It's not just public pooping either. Chinese tourists will shove an old lady physically out of the way to give their kid a better look at a Renoir or Van Gogh. I've seen Chinese women fill shopping bags to overflowing with rolls at a breakfast buffet. Monuments, from Egypt to Athens have to post special guards and extra signs to prevent Chinese teenagers from carving their initials in them. Most British hotels have to remove the tea kettles they usually have in guest rooms, because of Chinese visitors propensity to use them to boil shrimp.

I actually feel pity and sympathy for the people who have to work immigration and customs at airports (such as Vancouver, BC) that get a lot of Chinese visitors. The drug-sniffing beagles pounce on half the suitcases coming off the carousel from Beijing flights. When they are opened they reveal dripping plastic bags filled with slowly rotting chicken parts. And when questioned about their flagrant disregard for other countries' health and safety laws, more than a few Chinese visitors resort to yelling verbal abuse at the poor bureaucrats.

8. 1458279 Suspended

There was a large family living in a house on my street a while back. They raised dogs as food and used to beat the dogs when they were alive to make them tender. Several time the city was called, but they never did anything about it. Used to hear those dogs crying as they were being beat and prepped for food. I guess it's just a culture thing that we all have to get used to.

9. thermodynamic, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016

thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Am glad and appreciated you noticed.

So, here are the reasons why:

Do people post excerpts for deliberate consumption or do they hope people read more?

Are people obligated to click and read the articles, or even excerpts?

Is it okay for excerpts to be taken at random since one paragraph could have a far different meaning than adjacent ones?

How much of an article should people excerpt?

How much before copyright laws are also broken?

Why not have people just post a link and hope readers actually read the damn thing instead of whining they want excerpts?

You pointed out precisely why these questions are rarely asked,how excerpts can lead to misunderstanding (or even intent, though mine wasn't quite what you were expecting I'd hope), and also had shown one of the wide range of initial responses to seeing simple excerpts. At least you didn't accuse me of being communist. :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2016 ---
    How the TPP is shaped, it rightly has been said to be created to build up a counter to China's increasing power (another story, which has many facets as well), but also allows future inclusion of China. Depending on ethics involved, there shouldn't be an actual problem.

Others have felt Obama does not want to be associated with it (despite, a year earlier, touting it). Probably because his last year has been going back to acting as if it were 2008. Hillary seems to be the type not easily compromised with and given the last 6~8 years of the GOP (as majority, which didn't take long thanks to Democratic side defections because the name changers engaged in whatever their reasons were). But she has reached out to both Bernie supporters and Republicans disenfranchised by Trump (see sig line for disclaimer)... the upcoming debates will be very interesting to watch.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2016 ---
    "Strained" seems exactly the word, though "fun" seems to imply the opposite... Especially with the recent reports of Chinese citizens engaging in "nationalism" and trashing iphones, beating up people wearing Nike shows, and other Chinese products made in China but are seen as being "American" companies (despite people in developed countries being told the some countries are multinational, unless it's bad news in which case they become American again), something's amiss in China right now - big time.

10. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Obama had an amazing rebuttal to the Chinese being rude (and it was intentional on their part):

All of my lols. Every one of them. Paints them as either completely incompetent and belittles them as well, or the Chinese have to come out and say they did it intentionally, in which case they look dumb too.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

Thats exactly what it will be though, I mean thats quite obvious, no? Despite their growing world power and their dabble with capitalist markets, the Chinese Government is still an authoritarian communist government, and anything in the press from them will be tightly controlled and scrutinised. They're also in the midst of a huge crackdown on dissent and freedom of speech, paying particular attention to places like Hong Kong and Shanghai which have been more effected by Western ideologies than other parts of the country.

If you look at how things are being handled in Hangzhou for the summit at the moment, its pretty evident they're doing this.

As for their rudeness, Chinese culture has a bruskness about it where they can be rude without being aggressive, something we don't really do in the West, so that hardly surprises me either.

12. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

However no matter how hard they try to...oh, majority of people who do not have any experience browsing foreign sites would accept what CCP says and ruthlessly attack anyone holding opposite opinions. Highly biased and controlled. This is even possible to, you know, uh, saying something is bad while it is actually good.
    I believe those people who knows both how western world actually looks like and how tight CCP suppress freedom of speech, will choose not to discuss too much about western world, leaving countless of myths within the wall.

13. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Lol it's crazy. The last time I was at the Louvre the Chinese tourists were trying to shove EVERYBODY out of their way to see the Mona Lisa instead of just waiting their turn at the front - making the entire situation way worse than it needed to be. Same thing at Versailles. The guided tour groups were more respectful though but I think that's because the tour guides were employees.

In another interesting event that happened while I was in Vatican City was it was raining pretty hard, and unexpectedly. Some of us had prepared and brought a rain jacket. As tourists were trying to exit the building and it started raining, people just jammed up the exit and wouldn't move. There were quite a few people who were trying to get out, damn the rain, and there were like 3 American guys who just yelled "If you aren't going outside, move out of the way so other people can get through" and everybody moved out of the way and a whole bunch of people were able to exit. I was proud to be an American that day.