The last secret sauce of iPad Mini is FullHD Retina Display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TigeRick, Oct 20, 2012.

1. TigeRick macrumors newbie

Previously lots of people said upcoming iPad Mini will feature same resolution of iPad2 which is 1024 x 768 but in 7.85-inch display size which translate to 163 PPI. Definitely not retina display....

If u know Apple, Apple is not going to release something new but with low display quality. Like new iPod Touch already launched with 4" 16:9 1136x640, Apple is slowing moving display resolution to 16:9 scale even for new iPad Mini...

From the source of Taiwan forum but later removed, the new iPad Mini will feature 16:9 1920x1080 Retina Display (280.63 PPI) in 7.85-inch display. As with iPod Touch / iPhone 5, initially the current apps will run under scale mode but I believe will slowly move to new resolution natively. And with FullHD resolution, movie will run perfectly on the screen - no more black border.

The rest of spec is as below:
    1. Starting from 8GB (as rumor but I hope is not true)
    2. iOS6 (expected)
    3. Siri (expected)
    4. 5MP iSight (same as new iPod Touch)
    5. LTE support (as with new iPad)
    6. Earpod bundled (well maybe the same as new iPod Touch)

As with final retail price, no mention but today starting price of $329 make sense. Think of upgrade version of new iPod Touch but with lesser storage size

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Not going to be 16:9

That aspect ratio is useless in portrait mode

I agree that it might be 326 PPI out the box, just like the iPhone

But it's going to have the same number of pixels as the iPad 3

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

Over $300 without a retina screen would be sad :(

4. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

Obviously this person has never used an iPhone 5. 16:9 is NOT useless in portrait mode. In fact, it is better than 4:3 for reading Twitter, internet articles, books, and just about everything else, especially movies.

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Perhaps you're right, but I find the Surface in portrait mode to be a bit cramped and awkward

6. TigeRick thread starter macrumors newbie

Please read carefully as I mentioned Apple slowly change to 16:9 scale on new iPod Touch, iPhone 5...SO I also wonder what resolution would be on new "new iPad"

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I feel you are wrong.

1) Your speculation about the aspect ratio doesn't match the vast majority of leaked information and photos.

2) The aspect ratio you suggest makes it unsuitable for existing iPad apps. iPhone/iPod apps would be scaled, which would look bad, which defeats the purpose of the retina in the first place.

3) The 4:3 aspect ratio means the iPad Mini will have 40% larger screen than a 16:9 7" tablet. This enables the Mini to be far more useful for tablet apps that need real estate, and it makes it way better for ebook reading than a 16:9 tablet.

4) For this year, Apple just needs to make a Mini and that alone is a big deal. Next year the big deal that will make everyone upgrade is retina. If it were retina now, what will they save as a big deal for next year? A speed bump? Cameras on the edges? Case colors?

5) There is very good analysis of why no retina on Daring Fireball. Relevant section:

8. Scott2345 macrumors regular

9. PlutoniusX macrumors member

Daringfireball`s analysis makes no sense. Why did the iPod Touch have a retina display? It certainly isn`t the "premium" iPhone 5. The iPad Mini is really a different product then the full sized iPad. I have NO inclination to purchase a fullsize tablet, they are just too large for me. The lack of a retina display, or at least something over 200 DPI is too big of a turnoff. Not when there is a host of quality android tablets with nice screens and lower price tags.

10. roxette macrumors newbie

iPad Mini will be a reader and reading on non Retina sucks

I think that the new iPad Mini will be mostly positioned as a ebook reading device and reading on a not retina display is much harder. So the new iPad Mini needs to have a retina resolution from my point of view.
    But let's see tomorrow.

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Well I hope that you guys are right and that I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

In any case, we'll know tomorrow! :D

12. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Only a little white left, it may have a bigger res than 1024x768. It's possible.

13. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Please tell me again how Daringfireball's analysis makes no sense. :D

14. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Apple just released an iPad Mini with 1024x768 resolution today not with 1920x1080. Owned :D