The Last Three Months Were the Hottest Quarter On Record

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
http://science.slashdot.org/story/14/07/15/1436207/the-last-three-months-were-the-hottest-quarter-on-record

The last three months were collectively the warmest ever experienced since record-keeping began in the late 1800s. From the article:

"Taken as a whole, the just-finished three-month period was about 0.68 degrees Celsius (1.22 degrees Fahrenheit) above the 20th-century average. That may not sound like much, but the added warmth has been enough to provide a nudge to a litany of weather and climate events worldwide. Arctic sea ice is trending near record lows for this time of year, abnormally warm ocean water helped spawn the earliest hurricane ever recorded to make landfall in North Carolina, and a rash of heat waves have plagued cities from India to California to the Middle East."

Also, it puts to bed the supposed 'fact' that there's been a pause in temperature increase the last 17 years. Raw data shows it's still increasing.
Hope our kids and grand-kids are ready for famine and mass migrations!

Reactions: Centaurr

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I'll take it. I've lived in north Texas for 20 years, and just this week was our first official 100 degree day. I can't remember it ever happening so late in the year before.

Reactions: Snoopy4

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
By contrast, we are about four or five inches shy on spring rainfall, it has been hotter and drier than in years past.

Funny how that works.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'll take it. I've lived in north Texas for 20 years, and just this week was our first official 100 degree day. I can't remember it ever happening so late in the year before.
Minnesota is having near if not record lows recently (link). This global warning stuff is just another liberal conspiracy designed to cost us extra $$. :rolleyes:

Fact is you can't take regional temps to make judgements about the Earth's overall temp.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
In Montreal this summer and we also broke records here in terms of heat

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
No....Not another global warming thread. Let the links begin. Let me guess how this will go....One link showing things have gotten hotter...another showing it has gotten cooler....then a link showing there is climate change, but no proof people are the cause...then a link showing there is climate change and people caused it.

I think I will sit this one out as I doubt anything new comes to light, but might be wrong here.

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Here in NYS Southern Tier it only has been in 80's this summer only twice so far. We also had a VERY cold winter, The Great Lakes Are Still Almost Half Frozen, And It Could Affect The Environment For Years. I haven't seen those freeze like that in my 45 years of life. I have personally seen birds flying south in July! They usually started flying south in Mid September but never this early.

Last edited:

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
No....Not another global warming thread. Let the links begin. Let me guess how this will go....One link showing things have gotten hotter...another showing it has gotten cooler....then a link showing there is climate change, but no proof people are the cause...then a link showing there is climate change and people caused it.
Are you under the impression that there has not been evidence pointing to a human cause?

I'm sure we can find some for you.

I think I will sit this one out as I doubt anything new comes to light, but might be wrong here.
Too late.

----------

Here in NYS Southern Tier it only has been in 80's this summer only twice so far. We also had a VERY cold winter, The Great Lakes Are Still Almost Half Frozen, And It Could Affect The Environment For Years. I haven't seen those freeze like that in my 45 years of life. I have personally seen birds flying south in July! They usually started flying south in Mid September but never this early.
Isn't weather funny that way?

Do you think it means anything more than that?

Reactions: Limey77

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Well, at least then we will be talking about climate rather than weather, which is one step in the right direction.

...I think I will sit this one out as I doubt anything new comes to light, but might be wrong here.
Essentially, the predictions are increasingly accurate and we'll have difficult circumstances ahead.

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Are you under the impression that there has not been evidence pointing to a human cause?

I'm sure we can find some for you.

Too late.

----------

Isn't weather funny that way?

Do you think it means anything more than that?
I am seeing some dead birds around. Some were looking mighty thin. One even feel dead onto our mayor's car, denting it while it was parked under a tree at work.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The linked "post" is completely non-specific about what geographic area exhibited this heat. Some regions in the US ? All of the US ? North America ? Earth ?

Therefore, it's basically a meaningless statement.

For what it's worth, the Midwest has been unusually cold the last quarter.
We had snow in the middle of May in Chicago.

-t

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It's only 64º on Long Island this morning and you can open your windows in the middle of July. Clearly this global warming **** is all a hoax. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Current conditions on the northwest coast of California ...

55°F
Cloudy
Some areas nearby are reporting fog.

The OP should change the title of the thread to: Tell us what the weather is like where You live

Riveting.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
It snowed one day. Therefore, it's all a hoax.
Uhm, who said that ?

You are kidding, aren't you?
I only clicked on the first link, pointing to the Slashdot post.
This post *IS* non-descriptive in regards to the geographic are.

I admit, I did not follow all 4 links in that post.

If you aren't, maybe it's better if you sit this one out.
Personal attack ? Nice.
Did someone spit in your cheerios ?

-t