The left needs to hold the corrupt mainstream press accountable

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SteveJobzniak, Jan 25, 2017.

1. SteveJobzniak, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

We have the best mainstream media, don't we, folks?

ABC News has now admitted to editing an interview they had with Ari Fleischer regarding Trump’s press secretary that made it appear he was attacking him, rather than praising him.

On Tuesday, former president George W. Bush’s press secretary called out the network on Twitter for chopping his quote that aired Monday night on “Nightline” and proving Spicer’s point about the media’s dedication to faking news and manufacturing 100% negative coverage about the Trump administration.

1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png
    5.png

When the media makes up fake smears every day to attack people they dislike, we all have a massive problem in this country and it sets a dangerous precedent. "Then they came for the jews, and I did not speak out - for I was not a jew... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me."

It's time for the left to wake up and join the rest of us in raising the ethical standards of the mainstream press. Or perhaps it's time to dismantle the press completely, and bypass them and speak directly to the people. Because right now, the mainstream press is running amok and dividing the country like petulant children:

what.jpeg

A neutral press that only tells the truth (and with as little opinionated editorializing as possible) is extremely important and would benefit us all. Unfortunately, it seems to be an impossible pipe dream, but we still need to strive towards it and hold the press accountable for every lie they tell. Otherwise we're setting a very dangerous precedent if we continue to allow the mainstream press to lie with impunity.

Attached Files:

• 6.png
      6.png
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Completely agree.

Hopefully the media, mainstream or otherwise, will figure out sooner rather than later that they don't have to make stuff up to make these guys look bad.

All they have to do is report the truth, and the result will be the same.

Period.

3. SteveJobzniak, Jan 25, 2017

SteveJobzniak thread starter macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

Agreed. Let the truth speak for itself. Report the facts, instead of inventing fake smears. There's something seriously wrong with the press right now. There are no checks and balances and they are running amok. And all of their chaotic "the sky is falling" screaming is seriously poisoning America. It's almost as if only neurotic people work in the press. Perhaps having a neurotic personality is a presstitute job application requirement.

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The problem is that there is lying coming from all sides. The President's spokesman called a press conference only to lie to us (as if we are all idiots). If we can't rely on them to tell the truth and we can't rely on the press to call them out on it, what do we do?

Eliminating the press so we can be delivered our news directly from the President and his people is an AWFUL idea. Like 1984, Brave New World awful. Have we learned nothing from history?

If you want the left to hold the lying press accountable, than those on the right have to hold Spicer and crew accountable. Or else you have zero credibility.

I mean, you realize that press conferences on crowd sizes is the last thing this country needs? We have greater problems.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think Frontline is the only investigative reporting left. Is that why Trump wants to defund PBS?

6. SteveJobzniak, Jan 25, 2017

SteveJobzniak

I know for a fact that a lot of conservatives agree with you. We're also seeing the exaggerations from Trump's administration, but we give him a complete pass because the mainstream press treats him with 100% negativity, deligitimization and extremely divisive lies, while legitimizing violent riots and calling it "protesting", and doing everything it can to poison and divide America and make sane debate impossible.

There has been no greater polarizer than the hysterical press. And until the press becomes objective, we'll continue to forgive the small blunders to avoid letting the corrosive press tear down their enemy. When the press declares war on the President, we have a problem. When the President declares counter-war on the corrupt press, we have a problem. In other words, we all have a huge problem on our hands. Where do we go from here?

I can see one way out: Let Trump continue to be Trump and keep fixing America. The press is already starting to look really silly, with how much Trump is getting done in just a few days. It makes me wonder "what the hell has all other Presidents been doing in the past?". They'll have to let go soon or they'll lose all remaining credibility. Because the longer this goes on, the stronger their bias shines -and there's no real way for them to recover after they've exposed themselves, except to perhaps try to stop sinking further.

Some highlights from Trump's first week:
    x Kill the very dangerous TPP
    x Start renegotiating NAFTA
    x Fix keystone pipeline deadlock
    x Mark Obamacare as being-repealed
    x Remove the $700 penalty fine from people who cannot afford to pay their Obamacare bills
    x Jumpstart the building of the wall
    x Defund sanctuary cities harboring criminals

At this rate, I am starting to wonder if he hasn't realized he has 8 years to do this. I guess this is what it's like to have an extremely efficient businessman in office.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Crowd size doesn't really matter yes or no?

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

But you can't give him a pass or he's going to continue to lie to you. And frankly, those on the left would probably say the same about giving the media a pass. It will just continue to be a circular argument.

It's time for everyone to pull up their big boy pants. Hold EVERYONE accountable.

Also, the wall is an extremely stupid idea and I'm shocked that there are actually people that think it's a good idea. Because logic.

9. SteveJobzniak thread starter macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

Please stop feeding that old discussion. The only crowd that mattered was on November 9th.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'm not feeding it. Here is how it is. If the media was willing to lying about something that didn't matter such as crowd size, they are willing to lie about everything else. Trump complaining about the dishonesty in reporting on crowd size is saying just that.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Apparently it matters a great deal to the President.

Me? Couldn't care a lick. But it just looks awful that he cares so much about it. He will have to learn that he's going to have to let a lot of the little stuff slide. And in the grand scheme of things, the crowd size is a drop in the bucket.

12. SteveJobzniak thread starter macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

Yeah it has become a circular catch 22. I would love everyone to instantly snap out of this trance.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

But complaining about dishonesty using dishonesty makes him look worse.

And weak.

He needs to stop being over sensitive about everything. It's embarrassing.

14. SteveJobzniak thread starter macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

Oh definitely. I didn't realize you meant to use it as an example of their bias. Yes, it's readily apparent that the media had planned in advance to delegitimize the inauguration too. They hate him with a fervor. Their candidate lost, so they bitterly think "Okay I will travel to DC and be as sour as I can in my reporting". It's pathetic.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

18 months he's dealt with it. Should he drop it? Maybe. Should the media cover objectively? Yeah. It's the bias of the media that people are tired of.

16. SteveJobzniak, Jan 25, 2017

SteveJobzniak

Yes. Although I have to say that I know exactly why Trump is now acting the way he is (which is a result of his pain and stress from the campaign; and he never acted like this at any other time in his life). I have been in a situation like Trump on a smaller scale. Having hysterical, negative people attack you constantly for months puts you in a position of constantly explaining yourself. And in my case it was exactly the same as what they did with Trump:

- "[Invent fake lie to attack their enemy]" (such as "Trump insulted a handicapped reporter" (in fact he simply used one of his generic flailing hand gestures that is on video every time he meant to illustrate "someone doing something stupid"; and if that handicapped reporter thought Trump remembered him or even remembered that he was disabled then he thinks too highly of himself)),
    - "[Constantly repeat the lie and manufacture more lies to keep their enemy on a constant defensive, constantly busy defending against old and new lies]",
    - "Why isn't Hitler apologizing for [our fake lies]?",
    - "Oh my god, Hitler is lying again and trying to call us liars.",
    - "Haha, Hitler apologized [for something else], look how weak Hitler is".

After enough of dealing with bitter people who can never be pleased, you finally enter a sort of "fućk these people" mode. And that's where Trump is now after 1.5 years of living through every single day of being bombarded 24/7 with constant negativity and attacks in their attempts to break him. As he put it himself: "All these slings and arrows, I gladly take for you". So sure, he is imperfect, but he is the first-ever true change President - the non-Politicial outsider - the "status quo"-shatterer - that the Deep State establishment tried to bring down.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Where were the complaints the last 8 years of FOX News? This is why I can't take this thread seriously.

BTW.... I don't trust Right or Left media at face value.

18. CE3, Jan 25, 2017

CE3 macrumors 6502a

The corruption and lack of credibility in mainstream media isn't really a right or left issue. The vast majority of people on all sides of the political spectrum no longer have faith in the media's ability to report the facts. Like our political establishment, their bias and partiality lies in their adherence to their corporate overlords.

That the media leans left (beyond perhaps a few token go-to social issues) is a myth. Have we forgotten all the lies they spread and regularly fed to the public before the war in Iraq? (If so, this documentary is worth watching). They are masters of confusion and division, and they will flip and push many of the Trump administration's agendas, too (assuming he manages to stay in office).

In fact, when you look at all the free publicity they gave Trump (especially early on), the media are the ones responsible for giving him legitimacy. When you add all the suspiciously inaccurate poll numbers they clung to all the way up to election night, it's more clear than ever who really decides these elections.

19. SteveJobzniak, Jan 25, 2017

SteveJobzniak

@CE3 You are referring to the Deep State ultra-rich establishment, which is deeply entrenched above government - after centuries of empire-building. A "deep state" layer of ultra-rich and ultra-powerful at the top is always the inevitable conclusion of capitalism. They are neither left nor right. That's just two wings of the same capitalist bird. They pick their two candidates, dangle them in front of the people and prop them up via their media outlets. They work the poll numbers and the media narratives to ensure that their candidate wins. And it should be very relieving - to those in the know - that their chosen candidate this time was Hillary. And they failed this time. For the first time ever, the choice was between Establishment or Outsider. They threw everything they had at the outsider, but couldn't stop the populist uprising against the misery wreaked by the elite's previous Establishment presidents. Just like with Brexit.

I don't think another outsider will ever arrive. It cost Trump 500 million dollars to campaign all the way to the finish line. Without the establishment backing you, any other non-rich candidate is not going to get anywhere (without being bought out). Thank God he won. I never thought we'd see the Deep State's existence threatened. He's treading the most dangerous and uncharted waters in the world right now. I would not want to trade places with him.

20. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Trump may be a Washington outsider, but his administration picks are as "Deep State" ultra-rich as they get.

21. SteveJobzniak, Jan 25, 2017

SteveJobzniak

Yes. It could be to lower the risk of assassination (by not threatening the ultra-rich so much that they just shoot him). It could be because he knows his picks well and they're genuinely good people. It could be because he wanted extremely experienced people who could get things done. It could be because he wanted people strong on fiscal conservatism. It could be for a lot of reasons.

Thinking about it, I doubt that he'd have been able to find experienced outsiders for any cabinet position except his own. He did however make some great picks, such as "Sleepy Doctor" Ben Carlson. And he has healed the ties with the Ron/Rand Paul family, who have always been challengers against the establishment (and who couldn't beat the establishment media machine on their own).

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

This also happened 8 years ago with Sarah Palins interview with Katie Couric. As you may remember it was this interview that made Palin a laughing stock. I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin and she certainly is quirky, but the actual interview was highly misrepresented.

I think the press is digging themselves a whole. At the same time, the Trump Administrations recollection of events is not exactly in line with reality either. It seems to be a problem in both ends.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you overestimate the power of the rich.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox