The left's war on women and freedom of speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by haxrnick, Aug 21, 2014.

1. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

DYER COUNTY, Tenn. (CNN) – A young girl, who claims she was standing up for her religious beliefs in the classroom, was suspended after breaking a class rule of saying “bless you” after a classmate sneezed.

When Dyer County High School senior Kendra Turner said bless you to her classmate, she says her teacher told her that was for church.

“She said that we’re not going to have godly speaking in her class and that’s when I said we have a Constitutional right,” said Turner.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/0...ying-bless-you-to-a-classmate-who-sneeze.html

I always feel awkward and weird if someone DOESN'T say bless you to me when I sneeze.

Democrats.

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

War on women? A bit of stretch don't you think? :rolleyes:

I also think that using the term "suspension" makes this story seem worse than it is. From every article I've read, the only suspension she received was finishing that particular class in in-school suspension. Unless you can find word of an actual suspension in another story, the title misleading.

That said, the teacher seems a bit high-strung. That's not a democrat thing, it's an individual thing.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Can we have a war on using the phrase "war on"? Because I fail to see how one fairy tale believer not following the rules of her classroom is a "war" on anything.

4. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not, not even a little.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

6. haxrnick thread starter macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

The title was simply having fun at they way any lefty on here would have done it. At first I heard she was suspended one day but you seem to be correct on that.

It's purely a democrat thing with the attempt to "ban" anything they don't like.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

"Purely" a democrat thing? What a ridiculous statement.

In other happy, and way off topic news, the BAN of homosexual marriages in Florida was found to be unconstitutional today. I'm sure the Democrats are really, really upset about that ruling. :D

8. haxrnick thread starter macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Let them suffer like the rest of us.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The teacher is an idiot plain and simple, which isn't just a Democrat or Republican thing. Plenty of idiots on both sides of the aisle.

10. chown33 macrumors 604

How do you know the teacher (or the principal, or whoever created the rule) is a Democrat? I see nothing in the article saying that, so please clarify.

In any case, I see this classroom rule running straight up against the Free Exercise clause of the First Amendment. This is assuming there's an actual religious component to the traditional "bless you". The Supreme Court doesn't consider "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, nor "In God We Trust", to be religious, so I'm having trouble seeing how "bless you" would be any more "godly".

----------

Please provide supporting evidence for this assertion.

11. haxrnick thread starter macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

With my broad brush that is so often used here.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

So you're admitting that you have no support for the claim, and no idea what the party was that instituted the school rule?

Do you want to report your own posts for breaking forum rules, too?

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

In this instance, it doesn't appear to be a school rule, but a rule that the teacher made up. Apparently she had a list of things the kids can't say.

But, agreed, nowhere in the article does it state the teacher's political affiliations.

14. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Good lord there's some hysterical people in the world. Last year when I was at high school someone put a swastika up on the wall of a classroom, and no-one seemed to care -- I wonder how that would've been received at this school ;)

Also, while I see how this is a violation of freedom of speech, how is it against women in particular? Just because it was a women who happened to be suspended?

15. haxrnick thread starter macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

It's called life experience. I don't need a link or anything of the sort to be able to tell what kind of dumb this is. It isn't a school rule, it's a classroom rule. The people in PRSI could use a little loosening up at times, and God forbid, even joke and smile.

Feel free to report me. Not going to lose sleep over it.

16. chown33 macrumors 604

I assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that the school administrator approved of the classroom rule, either tacitly or overtly. To me, that would make it a school rule, although one that applied to a single teacher's classroom.

If the administrator had overruled the teacher, then it wouldn't be a valid rule at all, but that apparently didn't happen: the administrator didn't overule the teacher.

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

To be fair, there's not a lot of follow-up. Just that the student finished the period in in-school suspension. The article doesn't address what, if anything, was said to the teacher about her "rules".

18. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Actually not really. It was only for one case where a gay couple was married and living in another state. Property was owned in Palm Beach by the person that died. Said property was in probate. now it's not. You still can't get a same sex marriage license in the state of Florida.

19. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Yeah because it's the democrats that want to ban:

- Abortion
    - Same-sex marriage
    - Social welfare
    - Income inequality

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

While personally I've always found saying "bless you" (or anything else for that matter) to someone sneezing (or coughing, as some do) be pointless and even a bit asinine, I'm not bothered by other people saying it. Furthermore, none of the professors I've had with so-called "liberal agendas" have ever shown any problem with it.

21. haxrnick thread starter macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

The far right wants to ban abortion.
    Not many want to ban gay marriage. We've evolved like Obama so that makes it ok right?
    Ban social welfare??
    Ban income equality?? Lol

22. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I'm very liberal myself and also an atheist. I say bless you every time someone sneezes without any religious connotation behind it. I just find it to be polite to do.

----------

In what world do you live in? :p

[​IMG]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...republicans-block-minimum-wage-increase-bill/

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/07/230023627/gops-history-of-resistance-to-social-welfare-programs

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

This is the first time I've heard anyone try to claim that the Democrats "don't like" those things.

When did their platform change? I haven't been away that long have I?

Funny, I was about to ask you the same thing....

24. haxrnick thread starter macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

25. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

It was sarcasm because Harnix said Democrats love asking for a ban for anything they don't like. The same can be said about the GOP, the same can be said for any political group.