The Legend of 9/11 — 10 Years On

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ct2k7, Sep 5, 2011.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

2. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

sad sad sad.... sad that americans believe that the government did this, sad that americans dont beleive that the goverment did this, sad that all the innocent people died regardless.... sad.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What is there to discuss, everyone besides you knows about the 4th aircraft. It's flight 93, you know the plane with the passenger uprising?

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Elvis isn't dead 'cause I heard him on the radio!

The 10 Characteristics of Conspiracy Theorists
    A useful guide by Donna Ferentes

1. Arrogance. They are always fact-seekers, questioners, people who are trying to discover the truth: sceptics are always "sheep", patsies for Messrs Bush and Blair etc.

2. Relentlessness. They will always go on and on about a conspiracy no matter how little evidence they have to go on or how much of what they have is simply discredited. (Moreover, as per 1. above, even if you listen to them ninety-eight times, the ninety-ninth time, when you say "no thanks", you'll be called a "sheep" again.) Additionally, they have no capacity for precis whatsoever. They go on and on at enormous length.

3. Inability to answer questions. For people who loudly advertise their determination to the principle of questioning everything, they're pretty poor at answering direct questions from sceptics about the claims that they make.

4. Fondness for certain stock phrases. These include Cicero's "cui bono?" (of which it can be said that Cicero understood the importance of having evidence to back it up) and Conan Doyle's "once we have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth". What these phrases have in common is that they are attempts to absolve themselves from any responsibility to produce positive, hard evidence themselves: you simply "eliminate the impossible" (i.e. say the official account can't stand scrutiny) which means that the wild allegation of your choice, based on "cui bono?" (which is always the government) is therefore the truth.

5. Inability to employ or understand Occam's Razor. Aided by the principle in 4. above, conspiracy theorists never notice that the small inconsistencies in the accounts which they reject are dwarfed by the enormous, gaping holes in logic, likelihood and evidence in any alternative account.

6. Inability to tell good evidence from bad. Conspiracy theorists have no place for peer-review, for scientific knowledge, for the respectability of sources. The fact that a claim has been made by anybody, anywhere, is enough for them to reproduce it and demand that the questions it raises be answered, as if intellectual enquiry were a matter of responding to every rumour. While they do this, of course, they will claim to have "open minds" and abuse the sceptics for apparently lacking same.

7. Inability to withdraw. It's a rare day indeed when a conspiracy theorist admits that a claim they have made has turned out to be without foundation, whether it be the overall claim itself or any of the evidence produced to support it. Moreover they have a liking (see 3. above) for the technique of avoiding discussion of their claims by "swamping" - piling on a whole lot more material rather than respond to the objections sceptics make to the previous lot.

8. Leaping to conclusions. Conspiracy theorists are very keen indeed to declare the "official" account totally discredited without having remotely enough cause so to do. Of course this enables them to wheel on the Conan Doyle quote as in 4. above. Small inconsistencies in the account of an event, small unanswered questions, small problems in timing of differences in procedure from previous events of the same kind are all more than adequate to declare the "official" account clearly and definitively discredited. It goes without saying that it is not necessary to prove that these inconsistencies are either relevant, or that they even definitely exist.

9. Using previous conspiracies as evidence to support their claims. This argument invokes scandals like the Birmingham Six, the Bologna station bombings, the Zinoviev letter and so on in order to try and demonstrate that their conspiracy theory should be accorded some weight (because it's “happened before”.) They do not pause to reflect that the conspiracies they are touting are almost always far more unlikely and complicated than the real-life conspiracies with which they make comparison, or that the fact that something might potentially happen does not, in and of itself, make it anything other than extremely unlikely.

10. It's always a conspiracy. And it is, isn't it? No sooner has the body been discovered, the bomb gone off, than the same people are producing the same old stuff, demanding that there are questions which need to be answered, at the same unbearable length. Because the most important thing about these people is that they are people entirely lacking in discrimination. They cannot tell a good theory from a bad one, they cannot tell good evidence from bad evidence and they cannot tell a good source from a bad one. And for that reason, they always come up with the same answer when they ask the same question.

A person who always says the same thing, and says it over and over again is, of course, commonly considered to be, if not a monomaniac, then at very least, a bore.

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

If the shadowy cabal of the US government was able to mastermind one of the greatest acts of covert terrorism in history, you'd think they'd be competent enough to keep S&P from downgrading the country or pass a better healthcare reform bill or not let an entire city flood because of infrastructure in need of repair or defeat the Taliban insurgency or command a better puppet than GWB or command a better puppet than Obama or do anything else, ever, with that level of precision, co-ordination and unprecedented success.

The US government is the best argument against conspiracy theories that depend on government efficiency.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Boy howdy. Donna needs to look up Occam's Razor.

Not that I'm a conspiracy nut or anything.

A bunch of wackos murdered 2900 people 10 years ago and because of that this country has wasted itself to kill all the other wackos.

It's a vicious circle. No conspiracy needed.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Oh please! The dinosauric human-blood-sucking reptiles from the constellation Draco who are the ones really in charge of everything are very efficient!

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, I agree completely.

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Hmmm, maybe you are ready for the final piece of the puzzle. The one thing that puts it all together, that makes it make sense...

Chastity. Bono.

Bam! Not so crazy now, is it?

10. (marc), Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

(marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Exactly, and they use HAARP to control us! But I'm safe:
    [​IMG]

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Exactly, I'd also like to know from the conspiracy theorists if Bush could plant explosives to blow up the World Trade Center, why couldn't he plant just one WMD in Iraq for us to find? It would have justified the invasion and saved his legacy.

12. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

is it because they want to kill people?

13. Shrink, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I know I'm a naive, foolish sheep because I'm not enamored of every conspiracy theory asserting that anyone who does not buy that conspiracy theory is a naive fool.

Having said that: THIS IS TOTAL B***S***!!! :D

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This thread is part of a government conspiracy to discredit conspiracy theories. ;)

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Kramer : walking down a sidewalk..la la la la

Newman : pulls up next to kramer in a Postal truck

" Kramer!!" Kramer!! Get in quick.

Kramer : What ?. Why ?

Newman : This is how it will happen. someone you know. Maybe even someone very close to you will pull up next to you and ask you to get in. DON'T trust them. They want to kidnap you.

Kramer : But you're a postman in a truck. And you're my friend. It's you!! You want to kidnap me!!

Newman : No I don't !

Kramer : How do I know that ?

Newman : Because I'm your friend. Perhaps your only friend.

Kramer has a puzzled look on his face.

Kramer : NO! I'm not trusting you. you want to take me away.

Kramer starts to walk away.
    Newman yells at Kramer. " Stop! "

Three men in black suits and dark sunglasses come from behind Kramer and grab him.

MIB : Come with us. Someone wants to talk to you.

16. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I'm not entirely sure what to believe. I get easily pulled into the CT's and then find out there is a lot of misinformation and pure speculation coming from the most vocal CT'ers. I don't believe that the Govt planted explosives in any of the buildings. What I think is more possible is that evidence of an imminent attack was ignored by the Bush administration so that they could use the attack to wage war in the Middle East.

It wouldn't be the first time the Govt tried to stage a fake attach in order to invade a foreign country. I don't know how many people have heard of it but Operation Northwoods was a plot drafted by the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the Kennedy administration to invade Cuba. Kennedy refused to cooperate and the Plan was never carried out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods

Keep reading at the link for more details. The CIA is a criminal organization and has been for a long time.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I doubt there was even that much of a conspiracy. I'm sure people knew things, but no one person knew enough to stop it and general incompetence and inefficiency in the government kept the right people from finding out what we knew in time.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Since this thread is already here I'll use this one although this isn't a conspiracy theory. Or is it. Hmmmm

Does anybody think the cable networks are kind of saturating the airwaves with all this 9/11 10th "anniversary" a bit.?

Isn't it a little overboard ?

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I believe the last time the U.S. got an equivalent hit on home turf was Pearl.

They definitely dislike getting a bloody nose at home.

Older Londoners must be chuckling up their collective sleeves. ;)

21. Liquinn Suspended

I don't understand how innocent people got killed in this tragedy, yet we have serial killers living...

How an earth does that work?

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Poorly. The innocent are but collateral damage, and easily dismissed by some.

I would welcome whatever results from a binding plebiscite on Capital Punishment, but that will never be allowed to be put forth.

There are too many vested interests at play on this topic.

23. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

It amazes me that people can't accept that 9/11 was just a tragic event. I even hear people going as far, as saying that the planes were a holographic projection!?

It was simply an evil group of people who wanted to cause chaos.

24. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

The commotion is about the identity of the evil people.

Everyone is granted in that it was an event, it happened.