the level of stupid in America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 30, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

is too damn high.

http://www.colorlines.com/articles/california-parents-could-get-jail-time-if-kids-miss-school
    kids getting stupid ditching school and parents going to jail over it?

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2016/09/29/stop-throwing-kids-debtors-prison

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

no problems there, but fines for the parents? in the 1000's?
    misdemeanor for missing class? how is that for forced indoctrination?

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Well, that's because - as I sadly found out though certain volunteering activities - there are a lot of parents that don't give a crap about their kids. They just go to work flipping burgers and leave their 10yo kid in front of the Xbox all day long just because they don't want to do any parenting effort. You have no idea how many parents are like that, I was shocked to find out how big the problem is here in TX (and I live in a fairly middle-class city).

In my district every once in a while the Superintendent, the school board, and the various principals go to the houses of those students that don't show up to let the parents know what is going on and to warn them about the consequences. A good 50% of those parents don't give a crap.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

though choice for some, go to work and make ends meet or baby sit JR to make sure he goes to school like he is supposed to .

the GOVT is not consistent, kids can abort w/o the parents knowledge or consent but god forbid they miss school because then the parents face fines and or jail. discipline the moron and end up in jail anyways :rolleyes:

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

IME you've always had to pay for your time in jail and its not cheap

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Well, I never claimed consistency! ;) I am just saying that the situation is quite complex, and there are reasons for those rules.
    As for the choice, obviously it depends on the district but many of them have enough resources for working parents, including free early-schooling and free after-schooling. In my district, we have a nominal fee ($1 a week or so) if you need those services and you make less than $40K a year. Many parents are informed about those services, we tell them what to do, the district pays, sends them a school bus. Nada, they just don't care.

The truth @jkcerda is that not only parenting in the US is in an awful shape, but families in general are often in situations so horrible that it's not even possible to describe.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

"Last Thursday California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed......"

Wait? What? When? Who?

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

there is a date on the article, including when the stupidity went into effect

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The thing about TX is that the system was designed more for revenue generation than the good of children. Funding is tied to attendance, so schools push for policies and laws that work to collect the lost state funds instead of working to help those who have fallen away come back to the fold.

The mandatory attendance, you are told, is so the child doesn't miss important instruction. Miss school, for any reason, and you can't make up the work that would strengthen the student. Want to get practical exposure to Texas, US, or world history or politics? Do it over the summer. Scientific opportunity? Do it over the summer. Family member dies? Get on Skype. Football games halfway across the state? Ok, we'll excuse that.

I don't doubt that the state cares. I don't doubt that the teachers care. But local administrators and school districts are little tin plated dictators and dictatorships.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I would flip it saying the teachers care about the students while the state cares about the money.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Not really. Funding is also tied to attendance (Average Daily Attendance), which obviously makes sense because you don't want to send money to a school which doesn't need the money while some other school don't get funds that they need.

While certainly the system isn't perfect, you have a very pessimistic and overly simplistic view of the issues faced by the school district. Attendance is required because it's the only way to ensure that a student is exposed to a certain degree of information and knowledge. There is no other way, unless you do it through testing (which, in TX is allowed as it's a free choice state). Now, again. Attendance is not the perfect way to measure students proficiency, but it's a good measure of the service provided. Exactly as a test is not the perfect way to measure knowledge, but it's a good measure of a vast population.
    As for getting more hands-on experience, I agree although students have two months in summer, spring break, christmas break and so on. The problem is that to send students to visit the Alamo you need money for transportation, food, and insurance. It costs a lot of $$$ and unless you convince Texans to pay more taxes it won't happen; given the fact that many parents would remove teaching history ("why should they study it? it's useless!".) I don't see any way that an increase of taxes to pay for hands-on experience could pass.

I happen to disagree in general, but I have no doubt that it many district local admins are a problem

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

This can all be solved. Just put all kids into a military-style school with dormitories. :D

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

My dream :)

15. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

understatement of 2016
    maybe 2017

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Sounds like it would be a better idea to eliminate the bureaucratic waste that is truancy officers.

Our "education" system is a ****ing joke.

17. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

everyone says americas education system is terrible (including trump supporters), but then when you say they're anti intellectuals they get offended

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It boils down to this. We say we value education, but we don't value it enough that we'll fund it properly or imbue our kids with an intellectual spirit. People in Asia are going to hand our a$$ to us in a few decades, because they do care about education.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I agree with the title of your thread... however you're a decade or two too late....

As for parents getting thrown in jail... it's after warnings, and counselling. If they still can't get control of their lives enough to get their kids to class or get help then yeah I say punish them... but I don't know if incarcerating the parents would do more harm then good... and truancy after 3 missed days is a little strict!

20. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Land of the Free® Now watch your commercials™

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If an Asian kid doesn't show up to school he gets his ass beat. A good dose of fear would go a long way.

22. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

ignorant statement; fear breeds resentment

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They can be resentful while sitting in their school seat.

24. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

you're so good at parenting

25. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

There is uneducated, bad decisions and then there is stupid. Granted we often mix the terms up but should be careful how we use them and describe people. Motivation is also a huge component in the calculation. I know Middle Class kids who grew up pampered in the 80-90s, with a sense of misplaced entitlement. That has to change. Unfortunately, or fortunately young people will face intense competition to achieve the good life and have to get real motivated... or maybe they'll be content to live in their parents basements. o_O

A political aside to stupidity: I would say that backing Trust at this point either means you want the Republican label to win no matter what calamity results and/or there is a strong possibility you (not the OP) are lacking in intelligence, i.e. are stupid. :D:p