The liberal spin machine turns on Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, May 13, 2015.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I guess the honeymoon is over folks. The liberal media has finally turned on Obama and are ready to feed him to the wolves. Funny how referring to someone you personally know and talk to by their first name can be construed as sexism. Even I don't get this one, but I have a feeling the calls for sexism are just getting started with Hillary ramping up her campaign.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/was-obamas-criticism-of-elizabeth-warren-on-trade-sexist/

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I don't know about the media, but the Democratic Senators delivered him a stinging rebuke with regard to TPP. This, after his donnybrook with Senator Warren and the Saudi's snub made for an interesting week.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't think it was sexist . What's wrong with using her first name?

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I stopped reading at "the liberal media". :D

But yeah no, definitely not sexist....

5. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

I can't tell if you're serious with "the liberal spin machine" thing...

Either way a single article doesn't represent the whole media's thoughts.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Not to sound racist, but that's the proverbial chink in the armor. (Or the first hole in the dyke.) It is but a single departing from group think that can lead to more. Trigger warnings must be a a-popping all over. My, where is the nearest safe space to go run and hide?

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't think it's sexist 'tis another tempest in a tea cup. I do think the president is a bit tired of beat on from both sides, I know I would. In the end the he's wrong this trade bill needs more debate not less I think he needs to close his mouth and open his ears.

8. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I'm not sure which is more obtuse, the title of this thread or Senator Brown's comments but apparently stupidity is looking for some attention.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Ideally, Obama would have addressed her as "Senator Warren". However, I don't see calling her by her first name as an act of sexism. Brown certainly stretched when he made that point.

And to the OP, when you call CBS News "the liberal spin machine," your saying far more about your political bias, than CBS's.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Cite?

12. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

It's time to start considering an Obamaless presidency. I mean, the guy didn't make too many friends. Let's face it. Liberals are distancing themselves to prepare for the election. This way, when everyone is looking for something new in 2016, they can say "Hey, we are different, too... We never really liked Obama, either. "

Of course he's getting tossed aside. The gig is up; he can't run again. See ya, buddy.

13. Robisan macrumors 6502

The "substance" of this thread is almost as wrongly stupid as its title...

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Most politicians are spineless, Liberals even more so.

15. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Cannibals. All of 'em. Whatever they can do to keep a seat.

And they wonder why they have no friends...

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is simple case where Sherrod Brown, normally a pretty smart person, criticized without really thinking it through. Attempts to make it any more than that are wishful thinking.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The "honeymoon" by the "liberal media." Really? We're still doing this.

18. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

CBS isn't the only one who carried this story, it just happens to be the one I posted.

----------

We could have swapped Bush back in without telling anyone and the only thing that would have changed would be how the liberal media covered the news.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Again, the conservative dogma that there's a the "liberal media" says more about your bias than anything else.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Leaving aside the liberal media nonsense, perhaps you have forgotten that under the U.S. system of government, the President is chief executive, but, does not control the Congress in the same way that a Prime Minister under Westminster-system parliament, like Canada, does. Presidents have defeats in Congress all the time under the U.S. system. Part of the "checks and balances".

21. dec. Suspended

dec.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

Some Democrats are getting a taste of the President's arrogance and they don't like it one bit.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The framing of this discussion is so odd to me.

I've got real problems with the TPP. I think it's a bad deal and I don't like the fact that the treaty is being written entirely in secret, but this isn't the first trade deal that's been conducted this way by the U.S and other partners.

So, the idea that there's "arrogance" from the Obama administration is just an attempt to make an emotional argument.

Moreover, the fact that the press has been critical of the TPP is framed as a sudden turnabout against the Obama administration, which is completely balderdash.

So, too is the idea that until this week, Congressional Democrats have withheld their criticism of the President.

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

The point is that the President is letting loose the kinds of responses previously reserved expressly for the Republicans. It was quintessential Obama then, and it’s quintessential Obama now.

We recall that he’s accused Sen. Elizabeth Warren of not having her facts straight. He says she’s just a politician following her partisan self-interest.

The president of NOW, Terry O’Neill, accused Obama of being sexist. O’Neill sniped that Obama’s “clear subtext is that the little lady just doesn’t know what she’s talking about.” She added, “I think it was disrespectful.”

Both O’Neill and Sen. Sherrod Brown also sniff sexism in the fact that Obama referred to Warren as “Elizabeth.” Brown mused, “I think referring to her as first name, when he might not have done that for a male senator, perhaps?”

Yet, in a White House health care summit and in nearly every other public meeting with Republican senators and congressmen, he refers to them all by their first names. The great irony is that when Republicans complain about Obama’s haughtiness and arrogance, liberals accuse them of being racist.

Generally, when Obama — who ran for office touting his ability to work with Republicans and vowing to cure the partisan dysfunction in Washington — treated Republicans in a far ruder and shabbier way.

Having at the Republicans, When Sen. John McCain, his opponent in the previous election, noted that Obama had broken numerous promises and that the 2,400-page bill was a feeding trough for special interests, Obama eye-rolled. “Let me just make this point, John,” Obama said. “We’re not campaigning anymore. The election’s over.”

There was a White House summit on health care in 2010. The president invited members of Congress to discuss the issue in good faith. He then proceeded to treat every concern, objection and argument from Republicans as dumb, dishonest or emotional. Whenever someone said anything politically inconvenient, the president replied that those were just partisan “talking points.”

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

:eek: The cad!

Obama has bee so unfair to Republicans. :(

Everything would be so different, if he weren't such a meanie.