Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The Life and Times of Steve Jobs Infographic

Click for larger version

STEVE-JOBS-OK.jpg

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Only 54 million active mac users? I would expect that number to be double or triple that at least in this day and age. Only 54 million??? What was that number 5 years ago?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Only 54 million active mac users? I would expect that number to be double or triple that at least in this day and age. Only 54 million??? What was that number 5 years ago?

On the opposite, i'm not surprised at all. The desktop market share worldwide is less than 10%, and about 10% of all US computers. Apple is still a small company. It probably always well be too.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
On the opposite, i'm not surprised at all. The desktop market share worldwide is less than 10%, and about 10% of all US computers. Apple is still a small company. It probably always well be too.

At least in the terms of traditional computers, then yeah, Apple are unlikely to gain much marketshare, despite it constantly rising due to the popularity of their iDevices.

In the mobile world however, Apple has the minerals to be top dog. The only problem preventing more people from buying their products I feel is the price. In this current economic climate, people are opting for cheaper Android phones which in all honesty, work just as well.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

It could be more, but as far as what we can be reasonably sure about, that's more or less it. Apple themselves recently pegged it at close to 60 million users worldwide. It might be a conservative estimate but I'm inclined to believe that's about it.

It's certainly rising, and that's all good but in my mind the far more interesting figures are the iPad numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.