Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Hi--
I've been reading up on the Airport Time Capsule and have been considering the possibility of remote printing through this device--that is, printing to a laser printer connected by either USB or ethernet to the Time Capsule from _outside_ the LAN (printing to the printer that is located at home from the local public library or starbucks, for example).

But the more I read the more it sounds like this sort of thing isn't possible because of some firmware update. I think it would be really damned cool (and useful/convenient) to be able to print stuff to my home printer from distant locations outside of home.

Has anyone managed to do this with an Airport Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, or some other device/software setup? How can it be done?

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered a million times or is common knowledge; I'm a bit of a novice in the networking department.

Thanks for reading, looking forward.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Hi--
I've been reading up on the Airport Time Capsule and have been considering the possibility of remote printing through this device--that is, printing to a laser printer connected by either USB or ethernet to the Time Capsule from _outside_ the LAN (printing to the printer that is located at home from the local public library or starbucks, for example).

But the more I read the more it sounds like this sort of thing isn't possible because of some firmware update. I think it would be really damned cool (and useful/convenient) to be able to print stuff to my home printer from distant locations outside of home.

Has anyone managed to do this with an Airport Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, or some other device/software setup? How can it be done?

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered a million times or is common knowledge; I'm a bit of a novice in the networking department.

Thanks for reading, looking forward.

I have not done this myself, but please look at the attached screen capture from my TimeCapsule/AirPort Util. This would seem to indicate that it is possible.

Attachments

• AirPort.jpg
    AirPort.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.