The Literal Coolness of the MacBook Family

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ticklemonster, Sep 19, 2009.

1. ticklemonster macrumors newbie

I was just wondering how hot the MacBook White vs. MBA vs. all the MBPs get compared to each other, and how much the heat of the models differ.

I don't like hot laptops. ;)

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The ubMBP I have (17" 2.66) runs noticeably cooler to the touch than my 17" 2.33MHz C2D MBP did.

I don't run any special cooling pad - just a flat surface, or the CoolPad swivel pad.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I rarely feel heat and I usually have all kinds of fun running at once.

5. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

From my experience with my (now stolen) blackbook...it would get extremely hot sometimes. However...because it is plastic and not metal, it can cool quicker than the aluminum MacBooks.

6. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

My whitebook also gets exteremly hot but you have to be doing things with it. I was exporting a vid in itunes and wathching hulu and it was at 196f. It does cool down fast though and if your just on the internet with nothing open its around 100f

7. MacrazeR macrumors newbie

My friend had MBP, and geez, it was freakin hot as hell after a couple of hours' use, so that he couldn't place it on his lap! Don't know much about whitebook though.

8. bwaymusgal macrumors newbie

I have a white macbook and the thing gets ridiculously hot running barely anything at all... that is one of the reasons I'm trying to sell it and upgrade. I felt like the fans were always on and in iStat Pro some of my temps were always 85 degrees+. Took it to Apple Store to get it checked out for something else and they found nothing wrong with it that would cause it to heat up. I am currently using the FI's early '08 MBP and it runs considerably cooler (and quieter), but I don't have any extended experience using the uMBP.

9. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Speaking from a technical standpoint (2 years of metallurgy), Aluminum has an amazing ability to dissipate heat, so if you are worried about your laptop being able to cool, aluminum is amazing (not fun to weld, well, it takes a lot of practice) Any laptop you are going to buy is gong to get hot, there are just too many electronic components stuffed into such a small spot for it not to. Aluminum is your friend, trust me.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Absolutely. Milled, single piece of Al = one nice big heat-sink (and, a quite nice work of art).

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I used to have a black Macbook and that thing would get so hot that sometimes I couldn't even hold it or even type.

In the week that I've had my MBP, I think I have heard the fans come on three times. It rarely ever gets hot. The aluminum makes a huge difference.