The longer it takes for the betas to come out..

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by shenfrey, Jul 25, 2013.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

..the more stable they will be. It's a win win, I hope we don't see 7.4 till sometime after next month.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's always the potential any changes in the code to fix one bug will introduce another bug. The only way to validate its getting more stable is to get people to use the beta.

I agree the more time they get to work on the list of existing bugs can only help but there is the potential of making it worse.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

The same applies to the opposite. The biggest bugs have been reported, and it's unlikely they will introduce bigger or similar bugs while fixing the former. They are not blind, and once the reason behind something wrong is figured out it's all good.
    Furthermore, there is no rule regarding the number of betas. Even one beta revision could lead to the release.
    I agree with the OP. And perhaps attaining to a 2 weeks time span between betas is a bad choice. The more time they get, the more stable the release is going to be. They aren't adding new features they have to test, they are trying to reach stability.

4. acmar macrumors newbie

While I do agree that the longer it takes to release a beta version, the more stable it would be, however, precisely for that reason, I wanna have the latest improvements sooner rather than later. This is the very reason for frequent beta releases, otherwise, what is the point? They need our feedback to improve.

5. Scyanide macrumors member

Scyanide

It is very possible they are taking advantage of this downtime and adding in a few extra fixes...

However, my money is on that they have a schedule and that Beta 4 is already finished. As to not delay the schedule they are probably already working on Beta 5.

6. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking they weren't planning on releasing it until the 29th anyway... But yeah, they should be getting more stable. :) :apple:

7. dooten999 macrumors newbie

Not sure that is a very good argument actually as others have pointed out they need to get those betas out to be tested.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Considering many members on this forum are reporting that they don't receive all calls on beta 3 (me included) I want to see 4 before next month. With the dev portal offline, this may be a lofty goal.

9. sero323 macrumors regular

I agree. People need to have a hands on experience in the real world with the real world problems and situations. We (or I should say the developers) are the field testers now.

10. nextgeneric macrumors member

Do you understand what the purpose of a beta is? The community tests the operating system and their apps and supplies Apple with feedback.

The process involves communication. It needs to be out in the real world to improve in stability as they continually make changes to the code.

11. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

And Apple isn't also testing it themselves? Give em time to fix things, stop being so impatient. The betas will arrive when they arrive.

12. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Doesn't negate the need for frequent releases. Say iOS 7 comes out at the end of September, having 6 betas from WWDC until GM is better than having only 3, albeit more stable, betas until GM. It's better for testing and it's better for folks who want to experience more of iOS 7's progression.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ultimately, longer or shorter periods, it actually doesn't necessarily mean much as far as stability or anything like that.

14. nextgeneric macrumors member

Well, sure. But the majority of bugs discovered comes from dev testing. Also, I think it's rather silly to call me "impatient" when I'm not even testing iOS 7. I have iOS 6 installed on my iPhone + iPad.

I'll wait until it's released, thanks.