"The Lord helps those who help themselves"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jul 17, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Is that about community spirit where if a person wants to work and improve everyone chips in, since the Lord is in all of us? (Like loving your neighbor as you do yourself?)

Or does it condone greed, despite other parables like Proverbs 28:6, Deuteronomy 5:21, Proverbs 23:4, Matthew 19:24, Mark 10:25, Luke 16:19-31, etc?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A inspirational motivational fantasy concept. :)

But better IMO not to play this game. It's better to rely on your own efforts to lift yourself up, than to plan on celestial favors. And it does not make much sense either. You'd think that if God is in the habit of handing out favors, it might be more inclined to help those truly desperate, than those who have their act together. :)

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

less you think god runs your life or tells you as the only income earner of a large family to stay home and read the bible and take handouts.
    so many religious saying that the people who say them don't actually follow them.
    but I agree we need to do it and not depend god to do it (climate change fixing)

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

If you just sit on your butt, how can the Lord help?

If you're up, doing and producing, He might be of some assistance.

The comment is usually made to somebody who sits on their butt, yet wants assistance from the Lord...

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I always took it as in order to get something/somewhere you have to take action. Like you can pray to God to win the lottery, but it's not going to happen if you don't by a ticket. (Even Clark Griswold in Vegas Vacation bought his Keno ticket)

As others said its about taking initiative, putting in the effort, rather than sitting around and waiting for good things to happen.

Can't comment on the New Testiment quotes. I've never touched it.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I prefer "The Lord helps those who help themselves to the cookies".

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It's one of the bible's cleverest get-out clauses.

"The Lord helps those who help themselves" encourages adherents to go and make change in their own lives, rather than relying on prayer, and a god to make that change for them.

If Christians instead thought that success could be achieved by prayer and piety alone, they might very son realise that there's no-one listening and helping.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    This is the way I've always taken the phrase. If you want something done, don't just pray for it and hope God intervenes. Do it yourself.

10. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Yes sad when prayer is used instead of help.

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There's nothing "biblical" about that old saying. It's a purely humanistic idea that is a mis-guided distortion of the relationship between God and man.
    I always think about the "other" saying: If you say it is in the Bible, give me chapter and verse (the reference for that saying)

12. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

It means, "Get off your ass."

13. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

of course like god will never give you more then you can handle. hell it is just the opposite in the bible god throws so much at you you break and run to him.

14. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Back when I was a teenager, I used to stay with a friend of mine a lot, his wife would cook dinner but wouldn't serve it. My friend would go into get up and tell me," The Lord helps those what helps themselves." Not having ever read the Bible or been to church much, I always thought it meant, it's time for dinner, help yourself because no-one here is going to serve
    you;-)

15. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

But what happens to the people who cannot help themselves??

16. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

They go hungry.

17. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

No matter God tells me I am enlightened and don't need food.

18. 1458279 Suspended

I used this against a younger person that held religion very high. She was in high school at the time and was failing every class. I asked if she believed in the Bible, she strongly said yes.

I asked if she ever heard "god helps those that help themselves", she said yes. I asked how was failing school helping her... She paused. I said: If God helps those that help them selves, and you're not helping yourself, you're rejecting God's help.

It didn't seem to be enough, she dropped out anyways. Maybe HS peer pressure and socializing is more powerful than God.

I tried the same logic on her unemployed, bum dad and it did work either. He kept saying "God will help me..." I kept saying you tell God to NOT to help because God told you he only helps those that helps themselves and you don't help yourself.

People don't seem to like it when I throw this in their face, but logic is logic.

I'm not big on the whole Karma / God will fix things for me, but I have to say, this is one that seems to balance things out when someone acts like they have no control over their life because God is going to fix everything for them no matter what they do.

19. APlotdevice, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I say take it for what it actually is: an ancient Greek motto that was later reapproprated by Christian authors.

(Go ahead and look for it it the bible. You won't find it. :p)

20. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I would also not like your attempt at logic, as your statement that God helps those who help themselves - although a nice platitude to perhaps help people be more confident about themselves - but the idea is not supported by the Bible
    I find it interesting that you would ask if she believed in the Bible, then continue to ask about an idea that is not in the Bible at all.
    That, my friend, is simply not a logical argument.

21. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

It's a great motivational statement but when it comes to gods I don't think we have much in the way of example.

22. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

this is an example of not doing it yourself

Large Christian rally ends early due to heat

23. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

It's no such thing.

Your continual hatred of all things religious and particularly Christian is undermined by your lack of reasonableness.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Who needs God when democrats give us government handouts?

25. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Who the hell says I hate Christians? Just because i don't praise them they do that to me a headache other enough. Now I know it is ok to hate Muslims here though right? Or back people.