"The Luckiest man on the face of the earth" speech

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Jul 4, 2014.

1. MacNut, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

75 years ago today, July 4, 1939. One of the best sports speeches, if not one of the greatest speeches in American history ever spoken was said by the iron man Lou Gehrig.

Lou Gehrig's farewell address:
    http://www.lougehrig.com/about/farewell.html

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'll certainly accept that it is one of the best sports speeches...but "one of the greatest speeches in American history ever spoken"...I would have to disagree with that. That would, for example, put it in the same class as, for example, "The Gettysburg Address" or FDR's "Day of Infamy" speech.

It's a good speech, nonetheless...

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Gehrig didn't rehearse of even have notes when he gave that speech. That is what makes it more iconic.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Ummm…. I'm going with Shrink on this one. The one time I was in Washington I spent a couple of hours in the Lincoln Memorial. Read the Gettysburg, and then the 2nd Inaugural. Then I read them again. And again. Man, that dude could write.

And I'm not even American. His words transcend national concerns.

Gehrig… sorry, but not even close. I agree with his sentiment though.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That was a good speech, no doubt about it. However, I agree with the others that there are many other better speeches.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent speech, and well worth reading on its own merits.

However, I'm with Shrink, here. To my mind, while it is a very impressive speech delivered by a sportsman, it is not 'one of the greatest speeches in American history that was ever spoken', not if one is including Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, or his Second Inaugural Address.

7. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Some might say Martin Luther King has a chance at this accolade.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I think we can agree that calling Gerhig's speech one of the best speeches in American history is a bit of an overstatement and the there are many speeches in our history that surpass it in eloquence and importance.

It was a good speech, touching, moving, and unusually elegant for a sport speech, but far from one of the greatest speech in American history.