The MacBook Pro is an ultra thick laptop. Aren't you bugged by it's thickness?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blackberryroid, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Blackberryroid, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

They did it with the MacBook Air. They did it with the retina MacBook Pro. For thinness sake, they made an 11" MacBook Air is nearly as powerful as the 13 Inch MBP, yet dramatically thinner in length, width and height.

I can't see why they can't do it with the 13 Inch MacBook Pro and the 15 Inch cMBP! The two are the thickest laptop inside my house! Right now, I'm using an 11" MacBook Air and whenever I look at my MacBook Pro, I scream inside my head. The thing is thick! I'm surprised barely anyone is complaining about this.

What are your thoughts? Aren't you bugged by it's thickness?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Its not thst thick, you are over exaggerating a lot.

And the 11" Air is NOT as powerful as the 13" MBP at all, it only provides an SSD over the MBP's HDD, that is it.

The screen is much worse, especially in color gamut and viewing angles. The 13" MBP is a good machine that is user upgradable and can run circles around the 11" or 13" Air when equipped with an SSD and 16GB Ram.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The 13" MBP has a more powerful CPU and the HD4000 GPU running in a full voltage mobile CPU, like in the 13" MBP, is more powerful than the HD4000 running in a ULV chip, like in the MBA, regardless of size. I am not sure I get this post.

4. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I was comparing standard base model 13 Inch vs Maxed out 11" MBA.

5. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

It doesn't bother me. I like both laptops. The MBP feels like a dinosaur to carry around now after carrying around my MBA. They both have their uses though. The Air is great for carrying around and everyday stuff and the Pro is great for gaming, DVD watching, Photoshop etc.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

That makes two of us.

----------

A maxed out 11" Air costs $2,149.00, which is insane. A base 13" MBP cost $1199 and for another $200 you can add a 3rd party SSD and have a faster machine with a far better screen.

This is a apples to oranges comparison kid.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It does not matter. What I said still holds true no matter what you do. 2.0 GHz i7 ULV CPU in a maxed out MBA is slower than the 2.5 GHz CPU in the base 13" MBP. Do you not understand that?

The only thing that is slower about the MBP is the mechanical HDD and 4 GB of RAM. A 256 GB SSD will cost about £150. Upgrading the RAM to 8 GB will cost about £30. The CPU and GPU in the MBA is slower regardless of these things.

8. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I'd prefer that the odd was removed with the last refresh (13") but I can live with it. Useless waste of space for me. But I understand that some can't let go of their copy of Office 2000 or Quicken '02. :p

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I'm really confused... the 17" MBP i use is less than an inch thick... I don't think any other 17" laptops exist that are that thin, and if they do they are not nearly as high quality or powerful...

same goes for all the other MBP's for that matter. the design you get with the power you have is incredible. and yes the MBA is thinner, but also not as powerful in terms of raw performance. sure, it feels faster because of the SSD, but it could never beat my MBP in something requiring raw power

10. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

Not thick at all. In fact, I like it just like this--any thinner and you won't be able to feel the bloody thing.

11. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

This is yet another post to try to get people worked up over something that isn't a problem. Is the MBP thicker than the other Apple notebooks? Yes. Is it "ultra thick?" No...and that's a ridiculous statement.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure I understand, you want a thinner MBP, which exists, but... Nope, that's it, I'm confused about what you want. It's like saying you like how thin the iPhone 5 is and wonder why they don't make a thinner iPhone 4/s.

13. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

OKAY, FINE!

Its's not as fast as the MBP, but still very close to it's speed. Don't believe me? Then check the Geekbench results.

The point is, even if its a bit slower, you lost more mass, weight, volume and thickness than you lost performance.

In short, Apple has done more miniaturization on the Air.

Let's stick to the topic - the MacBook Pro is a fatty.

----------

Does a thinner 13 inch exist?

----------

Which has the faster booting time, the maxed out MBA or the standard Never ever configured base 13 MacBook Pro?

When launching applications?
    When opening Safari?
    When fetching files?
    When importing 1080p video?
    When playing back a 4K video?
    When moving files?

MBA all the way.

And yes, the MacBook Pro may be a bit faster when it comes to rendering and processing tasks, but it's not even noticeable. When rendering, it's probably just 10 seconds faster. The gain you have on the MBA's SSD is greater than the gain you have on the processor.

That's what made me conclude that the MBA is just as fast than the MBP.

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

My MBP is too thin! I've never owned a thinner computer. How about fattening it up with some extra battery capacity?

The space taken by the optical drive can be used for a second hard or SS drive if you don't need to read/write CDs/DVDs.

15. fisha macrumors regular

And what? Who cares? I really dont get your point. Its a 3 to 4 yr old chassis design, which at the time was the norm in terms of size ( actually thinner than average I would have said.) The thinner designs have already been developed. Which are already available from Apple.

If you want a thin laptop for portability, then its the air or MBPr ... but they come with the consequences of the thinness. Apple have already covered that option.

If you want some more expandability / power and slightly less portable, then the MBPc still fits that bill. Are you seriously suggesting that they thin down the MBPc to become a competitor to the Air/MBPr ???? :confused: Why make 2 machines the same and not offer the choice?

16. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Miniaturization, lol.

That extra weight must really put a strain on you. This is a ridiculous thread.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah they made it thinner. It's called the MacBook Pro with Retina display.

I think you need a new hobby.

18. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

You are comparing $2.150 machine to $1.200 machine. That does not make any sense.

Add SSD and RAM to the MBP and you will have $1.400 machine faster than MBA. Does the "miniaturisation" worth $750 extra?

19. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

it's not thick.. look at the competitors laptops..

You're going waaay to crazy on this.. yes, the air is thin, and so is the Retina.. but some people still want to be able to have large storage HDD's and built in ethernet, and the fact that they can upgrade and switch around with ram and storage as they want.

if it's bugging you that much, just sell your cMBP and get something thinner.. Apple did the right thing keeping the cMBP the way it is.

The new MacBook Pro is already here.. it's the Retina.. what more do you want?

btw. i've always wondered why people said the 15" was heavy and impossible to carry around.. it's really not that heavy!

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Then I must be a chubby chaser.

21. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

That is exactly what I was thinking.

22. Mrbobb macrumors 601

All they have to do is to get rid of the removable. Am sure the line is gonna follow the rMBP soon enuff.

So are u saying u will never buy an Alienware XPS with all the flashing lights?

23. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

My personal 13" MBP is 2/3 the thickness of my company provided Dell laptop.

The Dell makes interesting creaking noises when you open it up or move it about; the Mac is virtually silent, and (now being on my second one) I'm confident it will still be in very good condition in four years, whereas my Dell will probably have dropped to bits.

Biggest things for me about the MBP are the built-in Ethernet and the SuperDrive (yes, some of us still use discs!) You can't fit either of those into a MacBook Air chassis; the extra height of the MacBook Pro is one of the compromises of the design.

But I like my MBP, its a fantastic laptop.

24. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Facepalm

Apple isn't going to slim down the 13" and 15" pro. They are going to replace them with the retina eventually.

Oh no the 13" pro is too thick, get an air or wait for the 13" retina that is well rumoured to be right around the corner. 15" pro is too thick? well they already released the thinner retina version.