The Macbook Pro is the biggest pile of crap I've ever owned

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hatemymbp, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hatemymbp macrumors newbie

I'm venting in this post because I've tried Apple and get nothing. Over the last 3ish years I've had the sometimes priveledge but mostly nightmare experience of owning a Macbook Pro.

This story started with great excitement. I was finally ditching my PC and "switching" to OSX, one of the most stable and polished OS's in the world. My Macbook Pro had the Santa Rosa chipset in it, something almost nobody was doing yet and I felt like I was on cloud nine. Little did I know that the $2300 I spent on the computer and service plan was a terrible, costly mistake.

Since I bought it I've had at least five, maybe six replacements through Apple for various reasons, but mostly overheating. I've sent it in 10 or so times and gotten it repaired in store also. My most recent replacement has been flawed from the beginning, frequently freezing up and hitting temps as high as 110c, so hot that it literally burns my fingers while using it. This isn't while computing the latest climate model or anything either, this is in flash games and Minecraft. I used it anyways because it was functioning and I needed it for work, but maybe a month ago it started locking up. I backed up my data, reinstalled OSX and had the same problem. I call Apple and set up ANOTHER repair. A few days later the keyboard stops functioning. I turn it off to try and see if a reboot will fix it, won't turn back on. I have 5k+ photos of my kids and family on there, only about 4k of which are backed up (havent time machined in a while).

I call Apple up asking them what to do and they're dismissive, saying they can't guarantee my data will still be there. At this point I'm done with Apple. I'm done with Macs. I want my PC back that costs $1000 less. Apple support hasn't EVER given me a functioning computer, and for the cost you'd think they would.

Apple really shouldn't make a computer that can't perform as advertised. Why can't apple produce a stable, functional computer that doesn't burn my fingers and shut down by itself every thirty minutes? Perhaps they should stop focusing on getting thinner and prettier and instead think about the end user experience. Perhaps they should drop their line of computers entirely if they can't do them right.

2. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry to hear about you poor experience. I think it's safe to say you are in the minority. Best of luck on the switch back.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You should have demanded a replacement after the third repair. Like the previous poster said, sorry about your poor experience but you are in the minority.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

What a terrible experience you've had. If I were you, I'd never purchase an Apple product again.

5. hatemymbp thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't plan to, but at this point I'm still stuck with a $2300 paperweight and I don't trust Apple at all to handle the computer without wiping my data.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Your experience is definitely not the norm - My family and I have had a lot of Macs over the past sixteen years and never once experienced your problems with any of them.

You should see if Apple will give you one of the new MBPs - don't they normally do that after four or five repairs?

Also, when you send stuff in for repair AFAIK they always wipe the data on the machine. Don't they tell you that?

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So pressing the power button does absolutely nothing? No chime, no whirr of fan? If it does and if you have access to another mac, you can use FireWire Target Disk Mode to access your internal HDD files. Just hold down 'T' after you press the power button.

Best of luck and hope things get resolved.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sorry to hear your bad luck ... have you looked to Craig's list for help? :cool:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You won't get anything here, either, except feeling good about venting. There's nothing we can do about your situation.
    It's a well known fact that things like Flash and multimedia gaming will raise temperatures to high levels.
    This is also a well known fact:

MacBook Pro Service: Frequently Asked Questions
    One of the primary rules about using computers. Back up your data, and do it often! It's in no way Apple's fault that you failed to do this.
    Absolutely false. They MIGHT have to in some cases, but only when necessary. Read the above statement.

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This is wrong. When I have taken my MBP/old MB to the genius bar for repairs (anything from new topcases to new HDD cables, to new internal speakers, to new magsafe boards, to new batteries), I have always had my data intact after the repair.

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So pressing the power button does absolutely nothing? No chime, no whirr of fan? If it does and if you have access to another mac, you can use FireWire Target Disk Mode to access your internal HDD files. Just hold down 'T' after you press the power button.

Best of luck and hope things get resolved.

12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Unless you are embellishing, you should relax and call Apple, I know again, but if you have had 5+ replacements, you should just get a new machine. If you are done and you have had this many replacements, I would buy the "right" from you, as I'm pretty sure I could talk Apple into sending me a new machine.

13. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

converting!?!?

well i just joined the mac family and youre leaving... sigh..
    but ill try to point you to the right windows computers.

now what i have heard through my PC friends is that the best PC to buy are those built for businesses. They are built with design, quality, etc. in mind. For example search the HP business store you will find much better PC's compared to other PC's.

Another thing to keep in mind (which may contradict what i said above) is never to trust anyone when making decisions about technology. DO your own research and spend time in picking the suitable computer. YOU DO NOT WANT A PIECE OF CRAP!

Good Luck! ;)

14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If the data is critical, take it to an Apple authorized service center and have them take your drive out before they do the repair. Bring a blank drive for them to use (500gb drives are well under $100). Or find someone here who has an original 120 or 160 or whatever it came with. I do this myself before sending in for repair but if you're not comfortable taking the old SR MBP apart an AASC is an option. You just want the data so get it.

Regardless, as soon as your data is secure, I would firmly and politely demand a new laptop as a replacement. Your machine is done.

Cheers,

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Your computer is clearly a lemon and Apple should have outright replaced it with the current model MBP. 110C is absolutely ridiculous to expect someone to be able to put their hand on the computer and they should have immediately addressed that as it is a huge accident waiting to happen (that is enough to burn skin; imagine if your children put their hand on something that hot!!! Did you ever look at lemon laws? Some States are better than the others. I don't blame you for being PO'd. Instead of going to the store or sending it in, have you called and demanded to be able to talk to an administrator only in the "customer relations" (NOT service). People in stores can't do a whole lot but if you talk to someone higher up, I imagine you would get at least something to make the experience not a sucky as it sounds like it currently is.

You dropped over 2 grand into the thing and I would continuously call them and politely insist on talking to the person who can fix this problem, which in this case, should be an outright replacement even if the computer is out of warranty.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I re-read your post ... 5 or 6 replacements? 10 times for repair?

How is this even possible?

By the sounds of it ... you should have bought Alienware for gaming.

oh wait ... you still can :cool:

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I assumed they were talking about replacement parts but after reading it again, it does sound like he had 6 different computers. If that is the case and they all have had issues, it is obviously user error and not a quality control issue.

18. Animalk, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011

Animalk macrumors 6502

That is some really bad luck. I would argue politely with them that they sold you a lemon and that it should be replaced as others have mentioned.

19. Apple OC, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

No ... he is talkng SIX lemons here and 10 repair jobs ... now ask yourself again what could cause this?

20. sydenham macrumors regular

Yea, sounds a bit dodgy to me. A computer replaced 5 times? And repaired 10 times? Just a troll I expect.

21. howardnow macrumors member

All this sounds very odd and unfortunate. I think Apple should replace your unit (or solve it's problem).

I have been very happy with all my Macs over many years. I did have a strange problem once with a new tower. It turned out to be bad ram (even though the various tests did not show it). Once the ram was out and replaced, it's been flawless for 6 years or so. My early 2008 MBP is also just great and flawless.

Of note, the bad ram caused all kinds of strange problems, including several that you described.

22. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

An impressive thirst for lemonade?

23. Animalk macrumors 6502

This is a game developer speaking. Macs can handle gaming fine. They don't have the greatest performance but they can run them all day no problems.

I've had my MBP run simulations for over a week non stop at full throttle. Zero issues.

If Apple replaces the machine, it means that they deem it faulty and not the result of abuse from the owner.

Sorry kid.

24. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

No way anybody gets 5 or 6 bad ones in a row. He must be using a furnace or wood-burning stove as a laptop stand...

25. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

It seems almost unbelievable but, I guess. Good luck to you sir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.