Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
It's that time of year again, when our thoughts shift to the return of the greatest football league in the world – not the English Premier League, Italy's Serie A, or even the Blue Square North... it's the return of the MacRumors Fantasy Football League! Last year's inaugural competition was won by alphapat's Blue Nephews, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of managerial MacRumormongers who'll fancy their chances at wrestling the gleaming trophy from his grasp.

You can join the league by visiting the Official Premier League fantasy football website, the code you need to access the league is 69537-22644.

At this stage, you're free to pick a team and change players as many times as you like without penalty before the August 16th deadline, so don't worry about not being able to change your side to take advantage of real-life transfers or pre-season injuries.

Good luck everyone, and remember – I expect to see at least one Hull City player on each team. ;)

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Ok... sounds fair...

So, is it correct that we cannot sneak a peek at which players the other one in the league have picked or stuff like that...?

Yeah, I tried to see who other people had picked but couldn't find out a way. I think we have to wait till the league actually starts before you can do that.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Cool. Never played something like this before, but it kind of makes sense not being able to spy on others until the penalty for swapping players are in effect... but nice to know I'll be able to peep a bit once the game is in progress... :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Alright, Cleveland FC is back for it's second season, having survived last season due to the fact that no teams were relegated. :)

I might be putting my eggs in one basket, but I've gone with Torres and Gerrard from the beginning this time as my high-cost signing. I have a feeling that, however well or badly Liverpool's season goes, they will be putting big numbers on the score sheets.

At the moment I have "Deano" penciled in as my super sub striker...

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Well I'm in. Ferrari Falcons (traditional name - used since me Telegraph team in 1996-97:eek:). I'm already doing better then last year - I forgot to register my team until the third week - i was already 90 points off second bottom before I'd started - a fate i never really overcame.:(:p

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Hey i might take a crack at it this year, sure why not. Not sure how many man utd players i'll be able to put on the team though! :D

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Ah - me favourite part of Fantasy Football has come to fruition - making up kits and team names!:p Its always fun to see where the names come from - "Sporting Dual-Cores" is a nice football and Mac related pun Jaffa, though I'm at a loss with "Crataegues Monogyna". And as for "BARCA" and "Arsenal"...;):D

EDIT: Just Googled "Crataegus Monogyna" - maybe you should be a Baggies fan?!

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Is it just me, or does my team seem weaker than last year for the same price? It seems tougher to put together a decent squad for 100 for some reason...

We'll see.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I don't know... I'm reasonably happy with my squad to be honest, but last year I did have a bit of spare change after making my picks. I think the higher scoring players have maybe gone up a bit in price.

If you think your team seems a bit on the weak side, here's a tip – buy an extra Hull City player or two and it'll immediately look much more impressive. ;)

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
......If you think your team seems a bit on the weak side, here's a tip – buy an extra Hull City player or two and it'll immediately look much more impressive. ;)

Impressive for whom? :p

I didn't play last year, so I have no frame of reference, but should I have some points left over in case I need to make some changes?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I didn't play last year, so I have no frame of reference, but should I have some points left over in case I need to make some changes?
It's entirely up to yo. Having a little cash reserve is useful for any emergency transfers as it gives you some extra funds on top of selling the player(s) you want shut of, but it isn't a necessity really. I reckon you should build as strong a team as possible and if you have a little extra left for a rainy day then that's a useful bonus.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have an unusual strikeforce of Torres, Crouch, and Windass. Not too sure about my midfield - Gerrard and Petrov are, and Dempsey should be OK as a sub but convinced about Kranjcar and Malbranque.

I'll probably switch from my current 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2, adding Malbranque and dripping Windass to the bench...you don't think Hull will be starting him, do you Jaffa? last season I had better luck with the 4-3-3, most of my defenders were dreadful.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
...dripping Windass to the bench...you don't think Hull will be starting him, do you Jaffa?
I've never heard of a player being dripped before. ;) But no, I'm doubtful he'll be starting a large percentage of our matches, more likely he'll be used as an impact sub late on. I know if I was a tired defender the last thing I'd want to do in the last 10 minutes of a tight, crucial game would be to mark a freshly substituted Deano.

Popping him on your bench isn't a bad idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.