The MacRumors Fantasy Football League 2010/11

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jaffa Cake, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The 2010 World Cup has been and gone, and of course the world's finest players were doing their utmost to bring glory to their respective national teams. But make no mistake about it, it's not just national pride they were playing for. They were also hoping that a vintage performance in South Africa would attract the attention of the watching scouts and earn them a lucrative transfer to the best league in the world – the MacRumors Fantasy Football League.

League-Logo.jpg

We're back for our fourth season, and the finest managerial minds here at MacRumors will be looking to claim the trophy won last season by pivo6 and his Brainerd FC outfit. The MRFL is played using the official Barclays Premier League game, you can read up on the rules and register on their site here. Please pay close attention to the rules, as there are a couple of additional ones from last season. I'll go over a couple of the major changes in a separate post in a little while.

As with last season, there are actually two competitions you can enter. First is the MacRumors Fantasy League itself. A traditional fantasy league, you pick your team of players who then earn (or lose) you points depending on their real-life performances. The Manager with the most points at the end of the season lifts the trophy. Easy as that and twice as simple.

The second competition is the MacRumors Fantasy Cup, won in fine style last season by andrewstephenso and his ffmiphone.com team.

It works like this – each week you're randomly picked against another MacRumormonger, and your two teams go head-to-head, as it were – essentially, you're trying to outscore your opponent that week. Whichever team scores the most fantasy points wins, and gets three league points – the loser gets no league points and if it's a draw you get one each. This happens every week – until Gameweek 36 (currently scheduled for 7th May 2011), when the knockout phase begins! The top eight teams in the MacRumors Fantasy Cup qualify and are drawn against each other in a knock out competition which takes place over the final three Gameweeks. Come the final week only two teams will be left standing, and whoever wins that final tie lifts the trophy.

You're free to enter one or both of the competitions, it's entirely your choice – but why not both, eh? ;)

Sounds good. How do I sign up?
    Simply visit the Official Premier League Fantasy Football Site and register – it's totally free to do so. If you played in the League last year then you'll be automatically entered into the MacRumors League as soon as you create your team – if you'd like to enter the cup though you'll need a code from me.

If you're new to this – or a previous manager wanting the code for the Cup – then just drop me a PM and I'll send you back the codes you need to join the MacRumours Leagues – if you could tell me your team name in the PM that would be useful too! I'm planning on posting a few updates as the League progresses, and by posting usernames rather than real names we can protect folk's privacy a bit.

Why PM? Why not just post the codes here?
    I'm aiming to keep it a private league for actual MacRumors members and the odd 'guest' as far as possible, not those folk who trawl forums looking for league codes to join.

Chortle! Soccerball is for girls and whichever sport I prefer is better! lol!
    Good for you. Do run along, now. :rolleyes:

If I pick a team now, what happens if I change my mind and want a different player or two before the tournament starts?
    Have no fear – you're free to pick your team and change players as many times as you like without penalty before the August 14th deadline, so don't fret about not being able to change your side to take advantage of real-life transfers or pre-season injuries.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask them here in this thread and I'll answer them the best I can – all that remains is for me to wish everyone the best of luck for this season's competition. :)

2. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I mentioned yesterday that there had been a couple of rule tweaks that I'd outline, there are three main ones to consider...

Transfer Rollovers
    As previously each manager can make one transfer per week, any further transfers incur a four point penalty. Last season the rules were altered to allow us to carry an unused transfer over to the following week. But if we didn't use them, we lost them.

This season however we can carry over a transfer and continue to roll it over gameweek after gameweek, until we want to use it. However, they don't accumulate – you can only ever have two penalty-free transfers available per week.

Wildcards
    Regular players will remember that we each had a transfer wildcard that we could play at any point during the season, this allowed us to make as many transfers as we wished during that week without any points being deducted. This season though we'll each get two wildcards rather than one.

However, this second wildcard can only be used during the January transfer window, starting Gameweek 23 until Gameweek 27. If it's unused by the Gameweek 27 deadline, you lose it. Note though that you can still use your original wildcard at any point of the season you choose.

Own Goals
    If a player scores an own goal, he'll now be docked two points. A relatively minor change, unless of course you have Jamie Carragher in your starting line up.

3. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Alright, I'm in. Team name: The Stoplights. I gotta prove the MR Fantasy World Cup win wasn't a fluke. Oh crap, it was! I'm exposed! :eek:

I've set up the account, picked the team and submitted my starters for a game that's a month away. Now, what the hell am I doing? Anything else need to be done? I'm going to be asking lots of questions 'cause I know next to nothing about the Premier League and absolutely nothing about picking Fantasy players for it. From what I can tell, this league doesn't even have a playoff to determine the champion. How is that even possible?:confused:

4. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Until the first deadline, you can change your team as often as you like – keep an eye out for players getting transferred or injured in pre-season, as this may have an impact on your team. Needless to say, many folk end up shipping players in and out of their squads like nobody's business. And by many folk, I mean me. :D

The Premier League, or the two MacRumors competitions?

In keeping with the majority of national leagues, the English top flight doesn't use a play-off system to determine the eventual champion. Each team plays each other twice – home and away – over the course of the season, and the team who scores the most points wins the league. It's a simple system, and one that has served us well since the 1880s. :)

In a similar fashion, our main MacRumors League is won by the team that amasses the most points over the course of the season – it works exactly as per the World Cup game that you did rather well in. ;)

The MacRumors Fantasy Cup works a little differently, in that it's a 'head-to-head' league. You're drawn against another team at random each Gameweek, and compete to see who scores the most points. The winner of each pairing gets three points, the loser none – if it's a tie you get a point apiece. This goes on through the season, until the final three Gameweeks – after that, the top eight teams qualify for the knockout phase. Once again, the teams are paired off, the winner of each pairing goes through to the following Gameweek, the loser is eliminated. This will mean that in the final week only two teams are left – whichever wins that tie wins the Cup.

Hopefully that's cleared a couple of your questions up, if there's anything else that you're in the dark about feel free to ask. And if you want to keep up with various Premier League goings on, MacRumors' own Football Thread isn't a bad place to start. :)

5. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Alright I'm in!

Team Name: "La Selecta"

If you guys are wondering what is "La Selecta" it's the nick-name given to the Salvadorian National Soccer Team. :D

hehe i'm american, but have spanish decent that's why,

If Donovan was in, I would totally get him but let's see how Howard does at Everton. :D oops... anyways... that is all..

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Ha! I was talking about the Premier League and certainly meant no disrespect. Just that here in the US, every sport has a regular season followed by the playoffs, even golf these days! Not used to a straight round-robin to determine a champion. But I guess you do have the European and FIFA Club World Cup. I actually really like the idea of a true world champion in a team sport.

You've explained the rules quite well and answered several of my questions. I've been lurking in that football thread, but I feel like too much of an idiot to post. I'll get the nerve up soon enough.:eek:

Howard and the possibility of Donovan playing for Everton has given me a team to root for in the Premier League. Given their lack of a championship and mediocre performance for the past couple of decades, I will feel right at home rooting for them.:D

7. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Don't worry, it doesn't stop the rest of us. :p

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A great intro to the league Jaffa! Shall we start calling you Sir Dave Richards? Love the logo too. :D

Cleveland F.C. is reborn and prepared to make up the numbers in midtable mediocrity. ;)

9. andrewstephenso macrumors member

andrewstephenso

Can't wait for the FPL to kick off, the World Cup was dire :)

10. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Fret not, just two weeks until the MRFL kicks off – so if any stragglers haven't signed up yet, drop me a PM and get yourselves registered. ;)

For those of us already signed up, I hope pre-season is going well and your players have reported back in good shape. :cool:

11. andrewstephenso macrumors member

andrewstephenso

I'm happy to report that FFM v2 has been given it's work permit by Apple. You guys are in trouble now :)

12. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Splendid! That can count as one of the 'homegrown' apps you have to have on your iPhone under the new squad rules. :D

13. andrewstephenso macrumors member

andrewstephenso

:)

I took the liberty of using the following image in the app after my cup win (I never did receive my prize). I hope the creator doesn't mind, I really like it!
    [​IMG]

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I didn't see any promo codes? Am I missing something?:confused:

:D:p:D:p

I'm ready to get this season going. Ready to see what this Premier League is all about...

Is there anyway to get My Player news? I click on the i button in the Graphical view and it just shows me Profile, History and Fixtures. I want to know if the guys had any recent News or Injuries, or Transactions that may effect him. I'd prefer to do this without searching for each man. Possible?

15. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No problem – to be honest, the shirts are templates that I download, recolour and stick the crest and suitablale sponsor on, so I'm not too precious about them.

Needless to say though, our teams will be looking to cash in on supporters with some new polyester rags for the new season. ;)

If the player was injured or suspended (ie, definitely not going to play) that 'i' box would be red. If he's a serious doubt (ie, he might not play due to a niggling injury) then said box would be amber.

For example...

Picture 6.png

...in this screenshot we can see that they reckon both Cueller and Drogba are serious doubts. Of course, that's their opinon and they're not always right. ;)

By the way Tilpots... you're in the Cup but not the main league – I don't know if that's intentional or not but I thought I'd best flag it up. ;)

EDIT: Might I take this opportunity too to say that the league starts a week tomorrow – so if you're not signed up yet, your time is running out...

16. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

:eek: Not intentional! Thanks for the heads-up. Missed the separate code in the PM, but it's been remedied.

Thanks, also, for the injury example. Wasn't sure how that worked. More newb questions to follow...:eek:

17. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

That's me joined at last!
    The website appears to use your real name rather than the user name that you take out, but I think you'll recognise my team, The Renfrew Meerkats, with a lovely purple and white striped shirt that would put the Everton away strip to shame.

Since I know very little about English footie, I've just gone for the 'I don't know anything so just pick my team for me' button so I will be an interesting benchmark to compare against those who engineer their teams.

18. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Pah, that doesn't stop any of the rest of us! :D

Fret not, though – I'd worked out it was you. Besides the fact that I recolonised your name from the World Cup game, the Scottish nationality and Renfrew name were slight giveaways. ;)

Anyway, as I'm sure we're all aware the League starts tomorrow – the deadline for the first game week is at 11.30am GMT tomorrow morning. What this means is that time is running out for us all to make last minute changes to our squads without penalty, so make sure that you have the players you want in the line up you want them!

Equally, time is short if you've not registered a team yet – if you fall into this camp and fancy giving the game a whirl this season, PM me and I'll send you back the codes you need to enter our two competitions.

For what it's worth, we currently have 16 teams registered, a slight increase on last year's tally – and it's a pleasing mix of veteran managers and young upstarts looking to dethrone them. Here are the teams as they stand...

League-Table_Starting.png

As I say though, there's still plenty of room for further teams so if you want to give it a go let me know.

Good luck everyone! :)

19. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Great. The clock hasn't even started and I'm in last place.:(

20. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Purely alphabetically – anyway, once we actually get started there's plenty of time for you to actually earn that last place. ;)

21. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just a reminder, don't forget to join both the MacRumors League and the MacRumors Cup. Seems like the cup is missing a few people.

22. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed – these are the teams currently registered for the MacRumors Cup...

Sporting Dual-Cores (Jaffa Cake)
    Nievals Angry Mob (Nieval)
    Brainerd FC (pivo6)
    SF Giants (Silencio)
    The Stoplights (Tilpots)
    La Selecta (leomac08)
    Omaha Latics (swiftaw)
    Buchaneers (oscillatewildly)
    The Fightin' Shrooms (pjlander)
    Fabulous Boyz (Kofi)
    Renfrew Meerkats (Fuzzy14)

...just to recap, the Cup is a head-to-head league which sees you drawn against another MacRumormonger each Gameweek. Whoever come out on top of each pairing gets three points, at the end of the season the eight top placed teams contest the Cup in a knockout competition.

As with the main league, if you want to enter and need the code to do so, send me a PM.

23. Nieval macrumors 6502

I'm rearing to go. Kudos to Jaffa for the excellent work in arranging everything.

24. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Just a quick query... pleasingly, we've had another signup to the league, Shanti Stars – shamefully though I'm not sure whose team they actually are! :eek:

If the manger could make themselves known that would be great, that way I can update the league table with the correct username. :)

25. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Week 1: Results

Well I'm quite surprised, first time in a fantasy league and i'm 7th. :D Chelsea did slaughter West Bro 6-nil!!!!!!!!! :)

edit*: man u vs newcastle don't play till monday... so it's an unofficial chart. :D cheers!