The main ipad problem outside of storage and ram is using it in the sun

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stirolak123, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Could apple just combine e ink and led or allow you to switch one on and off so its possible to use the ipad in a mid summer days outside?i wanted to use it once while waiting for a bus and it was hard as there was no shade.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

No doubt Apple's engineers have been working 'round the clock to remedy your one instance of inconvenience.

3. MrWillie, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

What is wrong with storage and ram? The main problem they have is Excel compatibility, the none use of folders for both pics and iBooks, and the USB port on the 30 pin dock connector. (they need to open it up). All this can be fixed via software update. While I have been living in the state of denial, I am starting to believe Apple won't do this because it could take away laptop sales.

Edit: I left out podcast management. I should be able to subscribe to podcast on the iPad and have them automatically download.

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I have the 32GB unit and have no storage problem.

I have no RAM problem.

I use mine outdoors in all types of weather except rain or snow, and have had no problems. Even using it to Geocache on bright sunny days.

Since I have not experienced any of the issues that you list they must not actually exist anywhere except in your world. :)

5. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

The RAM problem is that it doesn't keep many apps running in the background and yesterday I was switching between 2 web pages and it kept having to reload them each time I switched.

6. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

And using it in the sun is no problem: get out of the sun. It's dangerous, cancerous and hot. No place for a human. Although.... I read a news item that stated that you SHOULD get 10-15 minutes of maximum unprotected sun each day. It helps your skin make certain vitamins. Hmmm that's exactly what my grandma always said as well. And all these years they have been shouting at me in newspapers and on television to get out of the sun.

More seriously, if you want it a bit better readable make the screen negative. It might heat up even faster, but it better readable in the sun.
    And the safari pages Afaik that has nothing to do with ram.
    Its something about the way the page was build iirc.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

Lol. Well stated.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Pixel QI screens do just that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NotK4TVQ-6E

Not sure if Apple would actually use that in an iPad though. I believe that they're fairly expensive and don't have the ability to make them in very large numbers yet. They also probably aren't as high quality as the current IPS screens when in non-daylight mode.

9. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

Well, it exists in my world too. I got an anti-glare screen protector and it has made an enormous difference. Prior to that, the iPad was completely unusable in sunlight. Anyone who says anything different is flat out lying. Even with the anti-glare screen protector, using it outside on sunny days is not a joy. That being said, I rarely ever use mine in direct sunlight. I always am in the shade, so it is not that bad.

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

What I do when that happens is close applications. I find that Atomic works better than Safari. I can bog down a desk top/ laptop regardless of the amount of ram if I want to.

But the main question is I have 19 gigs of solid state storage free. Why doesn't the iPad use a page file ? Then the amount of system ram wouldn't be an issue.