The main issue that is going to keep impacting 5c sales...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

Was having drinks with a good friend yesterday... I pulled out my iPhone to check a message, and he said "Dude, you got the cheap iPhone... You're a banker, what are you doing with one of those." This guy is a trendy dude (works in art, etc) and pretty funny... I told him it was the same as the iPhone 5, better than his 4S (which runs iOS7 beautifully, BTW), etc. At the end of the day, he was a bit unconvinced. It's a dumb conversation, but the fact is millions will have the same view. And its difficult to really say the 5c is much better than the 5 given iPhones 4-5S basically work well for most people's phone usages and all run the current OS.

In prior years, I would have upgraded to the 5s, but this year I chose the 5c instead due to the more hefty feel and better battery life. Cost wasn't an issue and really shouldn't be given the phones essentially cost the same. However, it will always be seen as the "cheap iPhone" when no such thing ever existed. This may be a problem going forward as Apple has never made "cheap" products even when some of their products have been inexpensive (iPhones are pretty inexpensive on contract and basically always have been). I doubt this issue would have been solved by making the phone worse and cheaper as many suggest.

Not sure how Apple overcomes this in the long run.

2. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

In a way you kind of answered your own question. He is a "trendy" dude. He knows the difference.

I know the difference so I got the 5s. My wife got the 5c. Is my phone more "advanced"? Yes. Does her phone have better battery life and feel better in the hand? Yes

According to a few new reports, the 5c may have matched or surpassed the 5s in sales during the first 3 days.

Most people will not see or care about the difference between the two phones. Trendy/tech savy people may go with the 5s...but the majority of america won't know the difference/care to know.

The 5c is a great phone, and surpasses most of the competition in the price range...and its user experience is superb. The 5c will sell very well, and it will serve people well for the 2 years they have it.

When I bought my 5s, I was switching from sprint to a new provider. I was deciding between verizon and att...and I went with verizon. All the att and verizon stores in my area were sold out of 5s, and all some out of the 5c. I managed to find my 5s in a small town near by. Never-the-less...I can count the number of people that came in saying, "I want the colored iphone". During the time I was there, I was the only one who bought a 5s. Including my wife, I saw 10 people pick up a white 5c.

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I agree, it will be seen as the cheap iPhone. It's not of course. It will come down to how many care about others opinions, which will unfortunately be a lot. Me, I'd have purchased the 5C. It just came down to, at the price difference. 5C wasn't worth it to me.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think that they will be very popular for young people.

5. AJAAY macrumors regular

Most people will not even care about the difference. The majority of the population only knows two iPhones we're released. One with colors and one with a finger print reader. That's it.

I have the white 5 now and the white 5C is looking delicious to me. Who the F cares what someone else thinks regarding what phone they have? Unless they are paying my bills, there say is irrelevant.

The 5C will outsell the 5S.

6. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

I don't think the 5c has any problem selling. It's taking the spot the iphone 5 woulda filled. People will usually buy based on cost. As a phone salesperson, I constantly convince my customers to buy what they think will last them for two years. I'm forced to be unbiased and I'm in commissioned so prices won't influence me.

The 5c has been selling at the rate that I expected. The problem I have at my job is that my coworkers don't understand the differences in the 5s and 5c. I find them saying "the only difference is the fingerprint scanner" all too often.

I love selling 5cs. They're a blast and generally my customers who get them are happy about having so many color options. The same cannot be said for the 5sright now considering color shortages.

7. mikosk macrumors member

I picked up a 5s but was considering the 5c, just wish they offered black or space gray. All the bright colors was the biggest reason I didn't go with it. It certainly is a better feeling phone than the 5s.

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Look at how successful iPhone 4 has been this past year. That alone is proof that most customers don't really care about whether or not they have the latest and greatest. This is the market that Apple is going after with the 5C.

9. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

I have the 5s since launch and haven't seen anyone else yet with it on campus but I've seen a few 5c's and my thought was cool, looks nice in colors. Not really turning my nose up at it. I'm sure most people are going up from a 4 or 4s so it's an improvement

10. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Or, alternatively, you can just be a grown-up, make your own decisions, and don't let the opinions of others affect you.

"Oh, you say I got the cheap phone? Who the **** cares what you think?"

Also, you're a banker huh? How's it like the be rollin' in da cash?

11. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

My 10 year old daughter opted for an iPhone 5 instead of the 5c

12. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

For most people, that is the only difference. The new processor doesn't mean jack right now when there's no software to support it. Not to mention most people won't ever use software that needs that kind of power.

And sure, the camera is improved, but for the average user the difference is negligible at best.

13. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

The 5C is still a $550 phone. It costs more than half the other smartphones on the market.

Cheap my ass.

14. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Stop being cheap and buy the good model phone.

15. wellingtonwimpy macrumors member

Yep. The difference is basically that between the old Macbook and Macbook Pro lines. A higher price buys you a bump in specs, but most people probably won't even make use better hardware; they just like the conspicuously nicer look. How many people do you know who bought a Pro over a white plastic Macbook (when they were still offered) but do nothing more than word processing and web browsing?

For my own part, it's the childish color options that really turn me off. I'd buy a plastic phone, but I won't buy one of those plastic phones.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah, I agree with your buddy: you're a banker, you should be using a Vertu Signature.

17. juswest macrumors regular

I've heard the same thing. Apple spent the years since the 3G dumping on plastic, and have convinced a good majority of their buyers that plastic is evil. I heard a lady call the 5C stupid, because it's plastic. I still think the 5C will do well, but if it doesn't well it's Apple's fault.

18. urkel macrumors 68030

I'm unconvinced too. Sure, your phone is "new" but your defense is to compare it to last years iPhone 5 (1yr old, $300 Used) or his 4S (2yrs old, out of contract).

Dont get me wrong. I'm not slamming the 5c at all. In fact, I'm in the camp that is tired of the 4generation old 4/4S/5/5s design so I feel the 5c looks nice even though its an "inferior" material. But IF we are to care about the internals then the 5s is "better enough" that it would be hard for ME to justify the 5c based purely on aesthetics or $100 savings.

There's nothing to overcome. In 2013 it may look like trouble to have two phones so similar looking except for the shell. But in 2014 (and beyond) we'll likely see a larger screen iPhone 6 and the future-proofed guts of the 5s will be placed in a plastic shell for those who don't seem to believe that a bigger screen is better.

19. mantan macrumors 68000

Especially when most users go and put a cheap plastic cover they bought off Amazon or at a mall kiosk.

I wouldn't be too phased by early sales. These are mostly early adopters and people off contract who were waiting for the new model. I think it will be a steady selller. It's an especially good upgrade for the user who wants 32 gig for $199....which is what the base iphone memory should be anyway.

20. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

All the 5c has to do is sell better than 5 would have sold inorder to be a sucess. It doesn't seem to be harming the sales of the 5s.

21. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Awesome. Lol

22. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

The UCF answer to your tagline is yes & yes.

23. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

That's rude. I'd throw it right back at him but replace the word "iPhone" with "wife".

24. OMAC83 macrumors member

25. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Honestly I don't think anything is affecting sales. I think it's selling good. If the 50/50 projection is correct then I'd say it's selling great