The Market is Melting Down....and...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zgh1999, Sep 15, 2008.

1. zgh1999 macrumors 6502

I am sitting here at my desk looking at the massive big bright red figures on my Bloomberg screen witnessing the greatest collapse of the American financial system since the Great Depression, and the only thoughts flowing through my mind are utterly evil thoughts about how we really really really need a massive, global, total war to kickstart this economy and save us from the brink of this tragic and absurd disaster called the American Dream.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Switch the screen to either display the bond market or just the gold price. It'll make you feel better.

And don't panic just because the screens show red today. Always remember that the markets are based on speculation, therefore they completely overreact to news. By the end of the week most of today's losses will have been recouped.

On another note, it looks like capitalism can join the list of economic systems that don't work either. Anyone for anarchy? ;)

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Obviously:),you know it makes sense.

4. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

There is already too much war mongering. Total war sounds like a bad idea to me.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

:confused: Who said anything about total war.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think the OP was… Although god knows why…

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. Would have a doubt about anarchy, too. What about the ultimate bete noir in free market circles, a little bit of regulation? It just might be the thing to counter greed, incompetence, and catastrophic mis-judgement.
    Cheers

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Duh, having read it now it's fairly obvious.:eek:

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

What are your doubts about Anarchy?

10. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Would we get to keep the Internet and our Macs?

11. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I was always confused as to how war helped the economy?

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Why would the implementation of Anarchy cause the Internet and Macs to disappear.:)

13. Queso macrumors G4

100% employment, either in making the materials required for war or on the front line itself. And as more die, there's less surplus people to fall back onto the dole queue afterwards.

14. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Not quite sure either, probably by increasing demand from the enemy for weapons that can be launched against you.

15. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

The economy at the expense of even more innocent lives? I don't think so. I mean, if it happen it happens but I'm not going to start thinking about how we need to have a war just so our comfortable American lifestyle can be retained..

The economy is stimulated I think because everything is frozen b the government and stuff that's purported to be valuable is always rationed out. Something like that I think..

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Anyone seen Canadian Bacon? That's what we need ... :D

17. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Just checking, cause I want to keep my iMac and my Powerbook - not that I'm into material possessions or anything. :)

18. Keebler macrumors 68030

a good time to buy into mutual funds (ie. lower buy in prices) and then ride the storm out.

btw, i hope this doesn't turn into a political thread, but my eyebrows raised at the line of a global war.

why? b/c i believe it's Bush's fault for the global market problems for invading iraq. he's screwed the u.s. imho which has helped screw us all.

call it what you want and speculate some more, but invading iraq wasn't so smart.

anyhoo, like i said, buy into mutual funds.

i said this in another post on another site:

i'm tired of markets and gas going up on 'speculation'. it's so negative.

i wish someone would speculate something good so maybe that would happen. ie. i 'speculate' there'll be a cure for cancer or aids. (no wait...i forgot how much money is involved in drug research so they'll never find a cure on purpose....that's another conspiracy).

whew. sorry for my rant. don't get it personal zgh.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Speculation tends to be based on confidence, guesswork, nerve/neck and (latterly) sheer greed. There is little logic in it, and no philanthropy whatsoever. However, when the bubble bursts, it bursts. Dramatically. Comprehensively. Globally.

Why the preference for anarchy to market regulation? There was a reason why regulation was imposed initially after the disaster of 1929. It was necessary.
    Cheers

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nowt like the slaughtering of millions to escape high inflation rates.

21. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

If you're not close to retiring, low stock prices are a good thing--good buying opportunities. Warren Buffet argues that most people would be best off with undervalued stock prices their whole lives as long as the value comes back when you need to start selling at retirement time. I may not agree completely with that philosophy, but as a young person I'm trying to see the positives of this.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, at least we're not in a recession or anything... ;)

23. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

It's hype. Lehman has a history of rocky roads based on the risks they take. Every few years they hit bottom...then they hit top after another few years according to the news about it. Hopefully it will disappear this time around so they won't be as much of a menace. :p I'm sure competitors are secretly jumping for joy. :D

On the plus side, Texas hasn't collapsed and oil is dropping through the floor. Hopefully this can make things better in the future some time.

24. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

heehee...American Civil War II!

Actually this is capitalism working it's magic I think. Every so often there seems to be some "restructuring event" that changes things. In the wake some companies get crushed and some others emerge to be something you would have never guessed they'd become. Somehow, it's natural forces correct itself into "a new world" sort of.

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Natural forces?:confused: