Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Sergio can't ever get of good start in a major... +1 today.

I'm not a Tiger fan but it's good to see him in the field. Just makes it that much more interesting.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
I'm rooting for Padraig. I've met him a few times and he is extremely nice; always stays and signs autographs for lots of fans at the tourney we see him at, always smiling, he definitely deserves all the wins he's been racking up.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Lots of players seemed to stumble on the 18th today..Almost record setting round today though. I'm pulling for Tiger to get better each day like he usually does.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Campbell played an awesome round unlucky to not get the course record. woke up early and saw a few of his shots.

Tiger is playing pretty well seeing as though he tends to score highly in the first round.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
anyone watching this playoff?

what a bunch of ****ing chokers.. can't even hit a 150 yard second shot on to the green.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
anyone watching this playoff?

what a bunch of ****ing chokers.. can't even hit a 150 yard second shot on to the green.

Didn't seem like anybody wanted to win at the end. Phil and Tiger put on a great show early in the day but neither had enough to get it done.

After Sergio faded, I was rooting for Kenny. He just let it go after a solid (if somewhat guarded) outing. Very gracious in the loss, though. It sounds like Angel is a pretty good guy. He kinda won by attrition, but it got him the Green Jacket.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think Perry ran out of gas, he started thinking about the jacket before he won it and let it get away. I was pulling for him.

Phil has plenty of chances to pull into the lead but as always let it slip away. I don't think I have ever seen Tiger hit a tree.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Yes, because this was just 3 guys out playing for fun at your local muni course....

OH WAIT! It was 3 of the top players in the world, playing in front of a huge local gallery, 10s of millions of people on TV, on one of the most challenging courses on the planet. Yea, they totally choked. :rolleyes:

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Yes, because this was just 3 guys out playing for fun at your local muni course....

OH WAIT! It was 3 of the top players in the world, playing in front of a huge local gallery, 10s of millions of people on TV, on one of the most challenging courses on the planet. Yea, they totally choked. :rolleyes:

Actually, it was chokage. More pressure than a local muni but those guys are as you said professionals and paid to work under those circumstances. Not as epic as Norman's failures but a choke nevertheless. Perry could have won in regulation with a couple of better shots.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Actually, it was chokage.....Perry could have won in regulation with a couple of better shots.
By that logic, then ANYONE could have won with just a few better shots. So, did EVERYONE except Cabrera choke?? Again, I fail to see how someone, tour professional or not, making a couple bad shots means they "choked". Lets not forget that on the first playoff hole Cabrera hit it in the trees, then HIT the trees, and still made par. And then played the second playoff hole near perfect. I see it more as Cabrera winning, rather than anyone else losing, or "choking" as you guys love to say.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that many of the people who say the word "choke" have never been in any situations like that. I've obviously never felt pressure like they have, but I've had to hit many important shots in my 27 year golfing career. Some turned out good, others not so much. It seems that to you guys if someone doesn't play their best, ALL THE TIME, then it is labeled as choking. And I find that sad. It was a very entertaining tournament, there were A LOT of guys who had a realistic chance to win.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
It was entertaining and I was rooting for Perry but the pressure did seem to get him there at the end (before sudden death). He had some chances to win outright and didn't take advantage of it. I call that a choke. It doesn't take away that he played 98% of a spectacular tourney but the pressure did get to him.

Dealing with pressure often makes a good player a great one. Tiger can deal with it better than Phil. Nicklaus could deal it with better than Norman, etc.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
...He had some chances to win outright and didn't take advantage of it. I call that a choke.
Then, did Phil and Tiger both choke? Or what about Shingo and John Merrick? They all had chances to win, but didn't execute down the stretch. By your reasoning, they all choked because they came up short.
It doesn't take away that he played 98% of a spectacular tourney but the pressure did get to him.
See, I think it does. There are certain times when, sure, the term "Choke" is very justified. Norman in '96 at Augusta, Van De Velde in '99 at Carnoustie, etc. But, to just broadly paint anyone who plays well, minus a small handful of shots as "choking" is a bit harsh, and I think a little rude as well. The man played great, and just came up a bit short. Hardly a "choke" in my book.

Again, this isn't like he had a 5 shot lead with 2 to play, or anything stratospheric. He had a couple shot lead, with 2 very challenging holes to play. And Cabrera, after making bogey on 10, finished what many people consider to be the hardest 9 holes in golf (Back 9, Augusta, Sunday) in 3 under par. That isn't a small feat.

Perry as well, played the back 9 under par. To play that 9 like he did and call it a "choke", like I said before, you might as well say that Merrick choked. I mean, even though he played the best final round of anyone (66), Tiger and Phil included, he clearly choked and could have shot 62 and been in the playoff.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Yeah, 4 footers at Augusta on 13 stimp greens are total gimmes. :rolleyes:
Greens which were rolled and cleaned just before the playoff started as well. It sucks that Campbell missed that putt, for sure. You always want to see someone "Win" a tournament, not the other guy to lose it. But, I don't think anything over 2 feet at Augusta should be considered a given. The speed and slope those greens have is just crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.