The McCain affair

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm being coy here. I'm using the word "affair" in its generic sense...like a "Man from UNCLE" episode title. :D

Still, the country is abuzz about the so-called affair -- the juicy kind -- with lobbyist Vicki Iseman. Suddenly Rush Limbaugh is blustering about this story being a typical liberal New York Times hit-job on McCain. Right-wing internet surfers adding comments to stories on CNN are bitching about this being a liberal NYT hit-job on McCain. Hell, even McCain is complaining about this being a liberal NYT hit-job on McCain.

So I decided to do something totally irrational in this day and age:

I read the New York Times story.

Oh fer cryin' out loud, folks. All the NYT did was to write an apparently well-substantiated story that says that McCain's aides have been concerned that McCain's connection to Iseman may have been romantic, that they communicated that to him, and that McCain himself acknowledged "inappropriate" behavior (according to an aide). It very carefully does not suggest that McCain was rutting with this 40-year-old woman every chance he got. In fact, it seems impeccably worded as far as news stories go.

Which means McCain's "inappropriate" behavior could have been nothing more than giving people the appearance of impropriety.

Now I know what you may be thinking: "Yeah, right. Are you that naive, Tom?" No, of course not. What I am suggesting is that the right wing media and a number of their internet followers are having conniption fits over something which the New York Times never actually said.

Which, ironically, amounts to a conservative hit-job on the Times.

The actual thrust of the article (if you'll pardon the pun) is that McCain can be quite tone-deaf as to when his actions look inappropriate, which the NYT (correctly, IMO) believes to be an important issue when it concerns someone who presents himself as a reformer.

To me, unless somebody turns up with proof (a la Monica's dress), the suspicions of McCain's advisors are nothing more than suspicions, whether there actually was an affair or not. The real story here is how this story invoked a knee-jerk anti-Times reaction in the conservative media.

2. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Of course, you know that a lot of the members here are way too young to get that reference. ;)

Be interesting to see how this plays out.

3. stevegmu macrumors regular

The story worked. Lefties have been working themselves into a lather all day. He lied, affair this, affair that, bye bye McCain...

4. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh please. Unless something more damning comes out, this isn't gonna hurt him much. I think you're projecting.

5. stevegmu macrumors regular

I didn't say it would hurt him. I said the lefties have been working themselves into a lather. The story worked for them.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/2/21/104558/425/560/461152

Case in point-

Often an accusation is just as effective as the truth.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Great generalization. I'm a "leftie" and I couldn't care less.

I get this feeling this thread was started by a Republican.

7. stevegmu macrumors regular

So you do care.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well first off, it's amusing to hear the same people singing the praises of the spot-on accuracy of Judith Miller's reporting using unnamed sources now suddenly claiming that the same news organization is now out to get them. The same newspaper that sat on the illegal eavesdropping story for over a year when they could have dropped it and made John Kerry president if they'd wanted. But now that the coverage doesn't favor them, it's a hit job.

Second, it's also amusing to hear Republicans complain about John McCain being "Swift-boated", in essence admitting that what they did to John Kerry was an unfair hit job based on nothing but smear and innuendo. It shows them for the crass political opportunists that anyone paying attention already knows they are.

And finally, it exposes the righty talkers as the GOP shills that they are, when they attack the Times for running a story that has been well-circulated among newsrooms and rumor sites like Drudge. The talking heads are around newsies all the time. They have all heard about this story. Howard Kurtz, no liberal himself, reported on McCain's retention of a lawyer to fight this story a few months ago. The Times ran it to avoid getting scooped by someone else.

And that's before we even get to the implications of this for McCain. Personally, I don't care where McCain dips his "little john". That's between him and his wife. Same way I felt about Clinton's indiscretions.

But it makes it that much harder for the fundie right to pull the lever for McCain. And while many of them will easily handle the cognitive dissonance of "Clinton affair bad, McCain affair OK", there will be those who cannot. He's going to lose more than a few voters in that demographic.

This also has the side-effect of bringing the Keating 5 scandal back to the public mind. McCain's image as a crusader against special interests cannot withstand that kind of bad PR. It raises questions about his judgement and his honesty at the same time that stories are floating around about him trying to use his public financing monies as collateral for a loan used to keep his struggling campaign afloat last year; and now seeking to back out of the public financing.

And really... she's a lobbyist for an industry that has business before McCain's committee. For a guy who claimed to learn his lesson twenty years ago, he has to know that he's under additional scrutiny and should be even cleaner than everyone else. Turns out McCain likes to castigate his peers for not preventing even the appearance of impropriety, but he doesn't practice what he preaches.

Doesn't sound like the kind of leader America needs right now.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sometimes watching the audience is more interesting than the action on the stage.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What?.............What???

Only the fear of banning is preventing me from telling you exactly what I think about that statement. :mad:

You do realize I started this thread, don't you? You do realize there are four years' worth of my posts that you could have checked out before making that remark?

Jesus H. Christ.....

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What is his middle name?

I don't see this story causing much. McCain is going to get the nom no matter what.

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hubert.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I would have guessed Hussein... He was middle eastern after all...

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Very astute. The story is truly a non-issue, but it's very interesting to watch the conservative apparatchiks.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Better answer than mine. :p

16. RacerX macrumors 65832

The only lathering appears to be from the far right. Other than their reaction, the story seems like something that could easily be overlooked.

The question that we should be asking is why the far right would want to draw attention to this story? It seems like the type of thing that the right did against McCain back in 2000, so I find it hard to think that conservatives putting this thing under a microscope is an accident.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Giving them a reason to defend McCain when they, just a few weeks ago, were railing against him.

Which is the real story. I don't know if he did anything inappropriate. I was mad when Clinton lied about his, I'd be mad if McCain was doing that too and is lying about it. But that's not the big deal. He still claims to be anti-lobbying, but there he is changing his vote after getting chummy with a lobbyist. A lobbyist who makes jokes about how she can get him to do things for her. That doesn't seem very mavericky. Add in, as I mentioned in the other thread, the fact that the fundies already don't like him. I'm sure some will hop on board because that darn, dirty, liberal rag is attempting to smear him, but that doesn't work on as many people as it used to. Preaching to the converted on that one. And as mentioned, it's not like the NYT are the only ones with the story. A story they sat on until verifying BTW, that also as mentioned, isn't anywhere near what the conservative media is trying to say it is.

He did actually cheat on his previous wife though, so even though I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now with the sex part (which is getting play no matter what some people keep saying, look around) I wouldn't be surprised if that part actually was true. But as with everything else, IOIYAR. Clinton was evil, and so is Hillary, even though they stayed together. McCain, Guiliani, Gingrich, Vitter, Craig, McCain again. When they do it, it's not a big deal. :rolleyes: Yeah. How 'bout they're all bad, and so is lying about it? Now can we focus on the issues that really affect the rest of us?

It's shame though, I used to like McCain, but between the kowtowing to the right and the lying about the lobbying and lobbyists, he's long since lost my support, and I know I'm not alone.

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

By characterizing McCain as a hit-and-run victim of the so-called liberal press, they help to unify their base, bringing neo-cons who normally do not like McCain to his defense.

Oh yeah, they're gonna milk this for all it's worth.

19. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I'd also think the Homepage in your profile gives it away ;)

20. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

No kidding.

I put in a lot of work at that place, not being conservative. :D

21. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Give it up... We all know you are either a neocon plant, or Swarmlord in disguise.

:D

22. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Well sorry..I didn't realize an off the wall meaningless post would get you all lathered up.

My apologies.

In fairness however I'm neither Republican nor Democrat so I don't pay much attention to this sort of stuff.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

McCain has always flitted between being a total jerk (Keating Five) and being a decent politician (his thoughts on torture are most appreciated), so for me this doesn't change much. I've never been convinced that McCain was much better than many of his colleagues.

24. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Accepted...now that I'm all calmed down. ;)

I wouldn't call the post meaningless, but I'm also a little amused by my own reaction to being called a Republican. ("Them's fightin' words!") I may not be the furthest-left guy around here, but I'm damn proud of being a liberal.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs