The Missouri State Rep

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tjb1, May 4, 2012.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

For those of us who can't watch video at work, could you tell us what this is about?

3. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

She made a Gun Law to protect people from being fired for owning guns, she has no examples of this ever happening and could not remember voting on a specific bill. If you get a chance, watch it...it would make a 4th grader feel smart.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oh and have to add she says she is against all forms of discrimination but she voted against a law that would of made it against the law to fire someone for sexual orientation.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

But that's not discrimination, that's her obeying God's law. (Or, alternatively, them not).

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No need to watch. I've had enough of idiots like her.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

tjb1 left out the part where she voted against a law that would make it illegal for employers to fire employees based on their sexual orientation (and I think I know why he left it out :rolleyes:)While she can't cite any examples of someone being fired for being a gun owner, there are dozens of examples of people being fired for their orientation. She then defends the employers and says something along the lines of "Well, maybe they weren't fired for being gay but were fired for being a bad at their job."

After that, Asif Mandvi asks her "What if they were fired for their orientation" and she says "Then they should take it to court." Mandvi then says "How can you take someone to court for doing something that's legal?" and she says "Who said that?" and he fires back with "Common sense".

I was watching it. During the first half, about protecting gun owners from being fired, it was funny. When it turned to protecting gay people from being fired, it turned to appalling. I can't believe someone so bigoted and ignorant can be elected to any office. I hate this state sometimes.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Remember that the interview questions are bogus. You miss the original question. All you have are the answers but no question.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In that case, see what happens tjb1, when we elect fools who think it's OK to discriminate?

10. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Reminds me of the sadly stupid Lynn Westmoreland interview they did (back when Colbert was on Daily Show).

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what you mean by "bogus". Do you mean edited in for more dramatic / comic effect? I hope not. I would expect that interviewees are informed that the interviewer is a comedian and that some of the questions and behaviors will be a little "out there". But even a comedy show like the Daily show needs to maintain some degree of integrity. What proof do you have that the questions are "bogus"?

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is bogus because the daily show will take a real interview and edit out the interviewer asking question and replace it with the their own making the comical effect.

The answer given are real and are from a real legit interview but the question you see on the daily show are fake and never were ask by that person. The person you "see" asking the question was never their. It is an edit of a real news interview.

If you want enough of the daily show and interviews from other station you will see one of the interviews they messed with.

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

that's not how it works in these kind of segments.
    Mandvi would really go to do the interview and the interviews are 'real'. Except that they probably taped 3-4 hours of material, and then edited the 5 resulting minutes to maximize the comic effect and message they want to go through.
    but the answer correspond to the questions. they just cherry pick which of the Q&A to show.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Nice nap? Let us tell you what has been going on the past couple decades ...

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What's kind of amazing is that politicians do agree to do interviews with TDS correspondents. Either
    1. they've never seen the show, or
    2. they mistakenly believe they will be portrayed in a flattering way (...and some TDS interviewees are), or
    3. they believe the rightness of their position will be so blinding bright they will overcome any mockery.
    Whatever the case, this woman is stick stone stupid.

Missouri, surely there's some farm animal that can do a better job.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Looks like a pretty standard industry practice. It's called a "single camera" interview.

If you google single camera interview, the top hit is an instructional PDF from the Media Scholarship program at Hamilton College, New York. I've excerpted some text from it below ...

So it sounds to me as if you're criticizing The Daily Show for using an accepted, age-old interview technique.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I saw an interview with them where they explained they do their best not to tell people they're from the daily show. They do their best to keep it vague, they're obligated to tell people if they specifically ask what show are you're from but apparently a-lot of people don't.

And I would argue that a good number of the people who they interview (who wouldn't want to be interviewed) don't watch TDS they might know what it is but they probably don't know who all the corespondents are.

19. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I see absolutely nothing wrong with protecting the rights of legal gun owners...however, that is a pretty silly bill. Of gun ownership rights that could be called "under attack", this does not fit the bill. And if it was made in the name of preventing workplace discrimination, then she is a plain idiot given she is protecting rights selectively. I find it frustrating..no, I find it plain troubling that so many States are yet to protect such a basic human right like sexuality, and that so many good people get screwed over simply because they do not fit the standard heterosexual stereotype.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thank God for real Americans like Wanda Brown.

[​IMG]

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And the American Heartlessland.

I thought she was doing The Donald a solid favour here. :eek:

Doesn't think too much of herself, does she. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

23. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

You know what, if Fox News doesn't need to even speak remotely true, I'd consider it passable that a comedy show is a bit "loose with the rules".