The more I think about it, I'm happy the Watch doesn't have GPS or Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sflomenb, Sep 12, 2014.

1. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Think about it. People on here are already complaining about the battery. The iPhone has a way bigger battery and GPS (Wi-Fi to a lesser extent) drains the battery like crazy. Imagine how much worse the Apple Watch's battery would be if it had GPS. Also, I (and probably most of you on here) have their phones with them basically all the time. So what's the problem? It might be better.

2. TigerStephie macrumors regular

I tend to agree but I feel like they maybe could have made it a little smaller if it is an accessory to the iPhone. At first I was upset because I was hoping to replace my GPS watch but 9/10 I carry my iPhone on my runs anyway for music. Of course now the iPhone is larger that I am carrying just to get music.

It seems that it will track steps/heart rate without the iPhone but I like to see my map too.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If Apple Watch must always be tethered to do anything useful, there's no point in owning one, ever. Just use the smartphone, which already is required.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You apparently don't understand the concept of a smartwatch as Apple has envisioned it.

5. Schnort macrumors regular

Yeah. Drink the koolaide!

But seriously, the device screams for GPS to be a useful fitness product. Tracking heart rate just isn't enough for $350

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm sure that'll eventually happen in a future iteration; however, not everyone is interested in the Apple Watch as a fitness product.

7. saskateam macrumors newbie

For the fitness aspect there are waist belts that could be used to make the phone more of a wearable device. Once the initial investment is made, the smart watch will be a much better way to control music and watch your heart rate while running. A quick glance and keep going. The GPS in your phone does the heavy work, saving the battery on your watch. Have all the tracking you need done by the watch and stored on the phone so it adds to the overall fitness tracking.

Also the GPS would add size to the watch and people are already complaining about the size. If I had to choose between GPS and NFC I want the NFC on my arm.

I am more interested in the all day fitness tracking the apple watch will bring. The apple watch also has several features that I will use in my work and personal life. More in my work life. Is there some things I would like to see that are not on the watch now, yes. Developers will play a huge role in the success of the apple watch, like they have with every other Apple device.

It is a fashion accessory with a whole lot more. Battery life is a concern, but I plug my phone in at night I can do it with a watch. I would like to have better tracking of my sleep and I see this feature coming when developers get going. We do not know what the actual battery life will be or the charge time. Might charge in no time based on it being a smaller battery.

8. ousboui macrumors newbie

The Watch will be able to estimate running distance without GPS or Wifi. It can do this simply by multiplying the number of strides by the length of a persons stride. Who's going to take a giant iphone running with them? The Watch will also carry enough music for the run.

On the other hand, cyclists would be crazy to go a long distance away from home without a phone in case of emergency, so they will naturally have their phone with them to utilize the gps/wifi to track their distance.

9. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

That would be nice, and is pretty much how my old Nike+ receiver/sensor works. After calibration it's pretty accurate too. No info about where you ran, but having info like this is still very useful. And the Apple Watch will also have heart rate data, so that's a plus.

While location tracking is nice, I personally don't find it that interesting for running. I usually run more or less the same route, with a few variations, so I know where it is and seeing on a map that I ran in a big circle a few times isn't that useful. Knowing how far that was, how fast I was going and what my heart rate was during the run: do want.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps, but now you just removed a major feature and one that might have tempted me from purchasing it. While I'm only a single buyer, I don't really see any need to plunk down 300 bucks, as it lacks the features that are important to me.