The More I Use the iPad, the More I Begin to Love it

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Arcadia310, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

I got the iPad 2 on day one and it was my first ever iOS device. Prior I had been on the Android side of things (which I still am, I use a Nexus S as my phone) but wanted a decent tablet. Needless to say, Honeycomb didn't impress me. I've owned the XOOM and GTab 10.1 and Honeycomb is still half baked, buggy, and has less than 100 apps. The Honeycomb SDK is a nightmare to use, and even the HP TouchPad has more apps on day one than Honeycomb has in 3 months (300 apps on HP, less than 100 on HC). One thing I really didn't like is how sometimes if you go back to the home screen it appears "blank" and has to redraw all of your widgets and application shortcuts. It was extremely annoying and horrid to watch. I love my Nexus S, but on the tablet side of things Android is far behind.

I never understood why people say iOS is boring compared to Android, especially when iOS has MUCH better games and apps. People try to deny this but those are the people who have some childish loyalty to their preferred brand/company. On my iPad I have WAY more quality apps and games than I do on my Android phone. That's a pretty big issue guys! I simply will not spend upwards of $500 on a tablet if it doesn't have apps. Period. Applications increase the versatility and functionality of a product millionfold. I can't believe how much stuff I have access to right at my finger tips! Needless to say, the apps and games have made my iPad such a functional device it's ridiculous. Whether it's using the iPad as a radio in my car when going out to party, using it to make posts to my blog, or playing numerous quality games at the press of a button the iPad really has a ton of use. I'm actually limited right now because I only have a 16GB iPad and my space is pretty much gone. I really hope they have a 128GB model next time around!

When I first got the iPad I thought it was a decent device. I wasn't used to iOS at first and was quick to judge it because it didn't have widgets. The more I use Android and iOS in unison, the more I realize that widgets really don't make a big difference anymore (to me at least). The longer I have the iPad the more I begin to love it. Recently I really began exploring the App Store for those hidden gem applications and my god, I can't believe the quality I found! There are so many freaking ridiculously good applications in the App Store. The more apps I find, the more use my iPad gets. It's an everything device, I can do nearly anything on it. I just hope in the future Apple can improve iMovie, Pages, and Numbers so I can use this bad boy for school and work more effectively. I don't like how the format gets screwed up when you try to move files from Pages to Word or Word to Pages so I hope they can fix that! The best part about it, this is just the beginning of where things are headed!

I still love Android, but I'll be getting the iPhone 5 when it drops. I'll probably get the Nexus Prime as well (I'm a nerd like that) but iOS really takes the cake for me when it comes to functionality and usability.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Nice to know that your amount of "beginning to love" is growing. I'd love to know more about how a beginning can come in different amounts? Thanks! :D

4. NTeggerdine macrumors member

5. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

6. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

My iPod led to me buying an iPod touch, which led to an iPad, which led to an iMac.

There is something really appealing about the Apple ecosystem, the iPods are wonderfully simple ways to carry your music, iPod touches are great mini entertainment devices, the iPad is a brilliant all rounder and the iMac is just lovely to use. For someone like me who doesn't want to tinker with settings and micromanage they all equal the perfect computing experience.

They might not be everyone's cup of tea but they are certainly mine.

7. neutrino23 macrumors 65816

There is something really curious about the iPad. I saw them in the stores and thought they were OK. Finally I bought an iPad 2. I thought it would be good to use on the job to present to customers. It is really good for this purpose.

However, like many others, I've found that over time I use the iPad more and more. Something about the design lets if fit with you in a very personal way.

Lots of objects get set aside after the newness wears off. The iPad gets used more and more.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

And right there is the reason Apple makes billions.

9. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Lol you are quite right, there's something about the way they all work together that is so appealing to a techno numpty like me. Since switching to apple products i've not had single moment of frustration trying to get things to work, they just do.

I daresay Apple will make a few thousand of me over my lifetime :)

10. Enectic macrumors member

Glad you're enjoying your iPad! I'm an Android user myself (Acer Iconia A500) but my mom and my brother both have iPads. Personally I still prefer Android but I see where you're coming from.

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

12. johneaston macrumors regular

I wish I felt the same. I tried to find a use for my iPad for over a year but sold it a couple of weeks ago. I just didn't see the point of it.

13. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly. Ever since I've had my MacBook pro, I've had NO issues with it. Now that I have the iPad 2, I REALLY want an iPhone as it would be a damn near perfect compliment in the ecosystem.

I just wish Google would create their own content hub like iTunes and work to create a stable ecosystem within Android. That's my biggest problem with it so far.

14. 4DThinker, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

4DThinker macrumors 68020

Try Amazon for a content hub now. Music, Books, Audio books, Movies already on tap. Wait just a little longer for Google to get there. Books already. Google Music with a store option coming up (I have no doubt), and Movies already from the online Android Market.

4D

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

16. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

I feel the exact same way for my iPad 2, allthough I've just had it since last week! :D

I was very surprised with it, let me explain. I have always been an Apple GEEK (mac, iPhone, 1st gen. nano...) and have been saving money since the first iPad came out. Unfortunately, money was missing in my family so I gave my money to my mom... I have been waiting to years now, forcing myself not to touch an iPad, and I finally got one! The first 24 hours with it were... well, magical :eek: As you said it can do ANYTHING, and I've noticed that my iMac utilisation went down since I have my beloved tablet. The biggest surprise for me was iBooks, I'm a literature student and was against eBooks (yes, I am traditionnist with books ;) ). I bought a book on day1 to try it out- ''Voyage au Centre de le Terre'' bu Jules Verne and was AMAZED, the screen is the perfect size for my reading needs, along with everything else! Already bought for 40$ of books and can't wait to start reading them!

I know my message does not totalyy fit to this thread, but hey! I just wanted to share what I had to say about the best Apple product I have ever posessed!
    ps: I'm french so there probably will be a lot of mistakes, allthough I did my best :p

17. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

this is exactly how it all happened for me...

18. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

You did great...your English is excellent and I enjoyed reading your post ~ :)

19. elbowgeek macrumors newbie

I agree that iOS devices have a wonderful interface which makes Apple's tablet-style devices, from the iPod Touch on up, vastly more useable than Android. My experience with Android, an HTC phone, was miserable. I struggled to get around the interface and find the apps I needed to do even the most basic things. Very confusing.

However the iOS interface has buttons that are right there, all lined up in front of you. You press the button you want and there you have it. I only wish I could find a factory unlocked iPhone here, as I'm through with jailbreaking.

The only fly in the ointment is OSX, which uses an interface which is 35 years out of date and needs to be put out of our misery as soon as possible. It's underlying code base is awesome, but please get rid of the single menu bar at the top of the screen and the associated limitations, which are too numerous to list here.

Cheers

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I was probably the world's biggest Apple hater up until last summer. The mention of the word "Apple" would send me into angry tirades. Apple's computers have screwed me over in the last few years, and even though I spent a lot of time on Macs through high school and college, I hated them with a passion. I hated Apple so much I completely skipped the whole iPod craze. To this day, I have still never owned an iPod.

Anyway, last summer I was finally going to buy into the smartphone craze and I had my heart set on Android. It was the world's first true anti-iPhone, and I was all about it. My AT&T contract was also up and I had my pick of carriers. After messing around with all the top phones available at the time (the Droid X, Droid Incredible, EVO 4G, etc.) I was not very impressed. They all seemed buggy, laggy, and not very intuitive. I had mostly decided on the Droid Incredible, thinking "I'll get used to the interface over time."

One day, just out of the blue, we were at AT&T and I tried the display model iPhone 4. I was blown away and completely speechless. The screen was (and still is) gorgeous. The interface was silky smooth and easy to navigate. Even though I had never used an iPod touch, I felt like I already knew how to use this thing. Needless to say, I bought one. The month of backorder time that followed was like agony. And when I finally got it, I was even more happy with my decision. Best phone I've ever had by far.

This led to iPad 2. I wanted a tablet, and iOS was the natural choice for me. It has the apps, the smooth interface, and the staying power. I thought I would get it mostly as an e-reader/web browser. Now it is my laptop replacement. I am using it so much more than I ever thought I would. It's my e-reader, web browser, media player, iPod, book, magazine, video creator/editor, music studio, and much more. It's in my backpack at all times, and when I'm at home, it's always nearby.

I'm still not crazy about Macs, but as far as gadgets, I'm now deeply entrenched in iOS.

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

This story makes me warm and fuzzy. Thanks for sharing :up:

Maybe Lion may sway you to Macs. Shall i watch this space?:D

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have an older warhorse tower at home that I built in 2006--it started out on Vista and after a hardware upgrade, I moved it to Windows 7 when the beta came out, and then I moved it to the full version later. Its main function is to host all my media to other devices in the house and also to run backups to my 3 TB hard drive every night. Other than some maintenance stuff here and there, I almost never use it anymore. I also sold my Windows 7 laptop after getting my iPad 2.

I imagine our next full blown computer purchase will be a Mac. My wife is already more comfortable with them because she uses them at work, and I think I'm ready for a change myself. We'll see.........