The most annoying company to write a message with - (My iPhone's keyboard "buddy")...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by igmolinav, Jul 30, 2008.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

Everytime I write a message, I get the "kind" help of my "Keyboard buddy".

So, if I write a word, let's say: "Hola" (or Hello in Spanish), the keyboard buddy will suggest the word "Hold". If I don't want to use the suggestion my "buddy" has kindly offered, I just stop writing the message, and tab softly on the suggested word, and then the word is discarded.

The problem is that everytime I want to write a message I get many suggestions, I also stop a lot, and it takes longer.

Do you know how to disable this feature?

Thank you very much,

igmolinav

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

It appears that there is no way to turn it off. I thought that it was located in the keyboard menu under general in the phone settings on the 1.1.4 firmware. I guess I may have been mistaken.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

This is one feature that should be able to be simply turned on and off. I am only on a touch and thus do not text with it, but even so there are often enough times that it will suggest something that is nothing like what I was thinking and when I hit the space bar, it does it and then I have to go back and correct it. I just wish that Apple would have made the spell-check and option that can be disabled.

4. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

There may be some sort of "salvation" for me out there. In the "language catalog" of my iPhone, there are four languages listed: English, French, Italian, and German. All these get the spell-check feature and spell-check provides suggested words in the language the iPhone is set up. My setting is now to English. I wonder if it is possible to download/install a setting for the Spanish language?? That way, suggestions will come in Spanish, that is the language I am using the most at the moment.

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

P.S. The other problem I found, and that it makes it worse, is that many times the suggested words are "no-words", they just are little clusters of letters wanting to be a word.

5. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

its very annoying.... you would think they would have offered a way to turn it off. I know for a fact that on jailbroken 1.1.4 you could download a program that would turn it off. Since some programmer could write a program...you know its no biggie for apple to do so.
    I agree though with the annoyance factor

6. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your answers. If anyone knows in the future, please let us know.

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would imagine that it will end up being an option in the future, it might help some people, but there is also a large amount of people that it is an annoyance for.