The Most Common GPU's. Probably Not What You Were Guessing + Most Common Gaming Macs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmbrown09, Aug 4, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

So here are the simple facts for the just over month of July.

[​IMG]

If you are wondering what the red and green percentages on the far right are, those are just the changes (% wise) from the month prior. So for example if you see 4 teddy bears at 40%, and then +2.34% in green to the right, that means there are 2.34% more people with 4 teddy bears this month than last, which also means you will see red next to other numbers.. to keep the 100% total. So you could then see red 1% and 1.34% next to 3 and 2 teddy bears.

Also though, new people coming to steam will give a boost to certain areas giving it the appearance of not balancing out

I find it weird that the 8600m still beats out the 9600m, guess people love their throwback notebooks lol. 9400m is no surprise at #1, a year from now I expect it to almost be knocked out of that spot maybe, either by the 330m or 320m.

These are some other stats, including the models being used. Remember, this is the STEAM hardware survey, which means those that are signed up for this service and partook in the survey, had gaming in mind, and therefore probably had somewhat decent computers... I think

Also Steam won't run on A power PC, so there won't be a single mac over 4 years old here (roughly)

[​IMG]

2. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

The 9400M/9600M stat is probably skewed since a lot of people who have the two cards in their MBP likely do not bother to switch to the 9600M before gaming.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

+1 steam console from memory dosnt run in 3d so would log the lower end card.

4. mark28 macrumors 68000

Where is this from, because I don't believe it.

Intel = #1 in selling GPU's

and ATI sells more GPU's than NVIDIA atm.

5. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Steam Hardware Survey. And what? There isn't a single mac today that only comes with a Intel GPU.

Everything has a dedicated card.

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

Not everybody is on steam, hence the title of the most common GPU's is very misleading as this survey isn't correct about the current GPU sells. ;)

edit: Or does this survey target only Mac users?

7. d4nn0 macrumors member

d4nn0

I would guess that it is only Mac users? Judging by the assortment of cards...

And I would also say that, as long as it's confirmed that this is for Mac, it is a pretty fair indication of the current GPU usage. As a popular distributer of many different genres of games, a sample of Steam users is a pretty good sample.

-Danno

8. brianfast macrumors regular

That is just a breakdown of the graphics cards of macbook + pro users who use steam.

Also, the 13 inch macbook + pro does not have a dedicated card.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

I'm also thinking it's only targeted at Mac users, due to the card line up.

People who game on laptops generally go for hi-end laptops with a good GPU. So the test result only indicates the most common GPU for gaming with Mac's.

People who don't game on their laptop could settle for a much older Mac, so the distribution can be alot different depending on what type of users you do the survey on :D

10. d4nn0 macrumors member

d4nn0

A true say.. I was thinking of only gamers, but you're right!

Go X1600!! :cool:

11. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

yes this is the Mac Side Steam hardware survey, this is the usage by computer for the macs

[​IMG]