The Most Influential People of 2007!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Dec 6, 2007.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Who do you think are the three most influential people of 2007?

I say...

Al Gore
    Steve Jobs
    Oprah Winfrey

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In the technology world, the impacts of Jeff Han's work have been massive...

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, you asked the most influential people in the world of 2007 right?

Since you listed three, I'll go with three as well:

1. Bush-even if the influence is bad

2. Warren Buffet (for his massive donations to charity and his call for a change in tax structure-not to mention the way he still revolutionizes investments).

3. "god"-not saying that he/she exists (because I don't adhere to that) but most of the World's strife is and has been caused by religious conflict.

Next year, Oprah will be on the list, since I have a feeling she's going to alter the course of presidential politics in the US (which will affect the world). I don't see Bush or "god" changing that much though.

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

If you include oil and power hunger as a religion, then yes I agree with your statement. Otherwise, no.

Hmm, I'm really not sure how Steve can make this list. He is the CEO of a company that makes gadgets.

But I have to admit that Al would probably make the list, if he didn't already make last year's.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I know what you're saying about religion as a power-block (similar to oil), but I'm using "god" in the sense of a person. The concept of "god" is imagined as a benevolent being who cares for those who do things "his" way (not unlike a dictatorship) and strikes down those who don't do things "his" way. Humans, rather than wait for any actual signal, simply decide to kill each other in the name of "god."

The personality of "god," no matter how falsely created by humans, has certainly led to strife, war, and misery. The personality of other influential people similarly can be positive or negative. In that sense, "god" is indeed very much an influential person.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That everyone seems to want, making him influential among the rest of the tech industry who keep trying to copy them.

Yeah, him too. Moore probably as well, because he got us talking about healthcare when we really weren't. For better or worse.

7. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Hear, hear!!!

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I actually thought the same thing myself at first, but with the release of the iPhone, he may well qualify as highly influential. Not to mention his continuing effect on the digital content market. Dunno if that means he's one of the top three, but I think he qualifies for the discussion.

9. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Well if you isolate the topic to 'most influential people in technology in the USA', then you would have a point. But in my country, and the vast majority of other countries, the iPhone hasn't been released yet nor any video content available from the iTunes store for their video products, eg., iPod Touch, iPod Classic, etc. To be brutally honest, the name 'Steve Jobs' is just not that well known outside of IT circles.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Your post is quite logical, except for a few key points.

1. A person need not be known outside of their circle in order to be influential. I doubt very many people know who Anthony Kennedy is, but you can bet he's influential. ;)

2. It's true that the iPhone hasn't been released in all first world markets yet, but it has already led to new innovations in markets where it is absent. Phone makers like LG, Blackberry, Nokia, etc, are fighting twice as hard as before in order to create the next "iPhone killer." Now I don't really think that Jobs is particularly influential relative to other figures, but you see how I'm addressing your logic?:)

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk