The most logical reason why the iPhone should be called the new iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Muro, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Muro macrumors 6502

Everyone who thinks Apple must be calling it the 5 because people can get confused, are wrong I think. Has No one ever noticed that Apple can use the iOS numbering scheme as a guideline to tell what iPhone one has. iPhone 4/4s was with iOS 5. The new iPhone will be accompagnied with iOS 6 and next year it will be the new iPhone with iOS 7 etc. etc. Look at the packaging of the iPhone the iOS version states on all previous packagings or will be from now on. It's the most logical and simplest thing to do to achieve clearity among those devices.

So my guess will be on september12th they will simply launch the new iPhone version iOS 6.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Except your theory falls flat on it's face 3GS, 4, and 4S are also going to have iOS6.

3. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I agree with you, and disagree.

Even though the other iPhones will have iOS 6, they all launch with the new operating system at the time. Since each phone has been accompanied by the new iOS version, this could work.

It would be just as easy for Apple to use the year to label the iPhone. Which I think is better than continuing with numbers, letters, whatever.

iPhone (2012)
    iPhone S (2013)
    iPhone (2014)
    iPhone S (2015)

Or just remove S... but the "S" would differentiate the models that are upgraded versions of the previous, and the "new" designs

4. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Why do people care that much what it's called? :confused:

Personally I'm much more interested in its capabilities than its name.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

So the numeral 5 acting as a shadow to the keynote date of the 12th of Sep means ?

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I don't follow you?

iPhone - iPhone OS 1
    iPhone 3G - iPhone OS 2
    iPhone 3GS - iPhone OS 3
    iPhone 4 - iOS 4
    iPhone 4S - iOS 5
    iPhone 5 - iOS 6

iOS has never corresponded to the phone name apart from the iPhone 4?

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Because its street cred I suppose.

Some iPhone 4s early adopters did not like the fact that it just says 'iPhone' on the back panel and not iPhone 4s ,to show they owned the next model up from a 4

Rolls eyes.

8. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

He is saying it could from now on... And it halfway sort of did with the 3GS technically...

But the iPhone 3G and 3GS had nothing to do with what iPhone model they were... The iPhone "3G" was make sure it was loud and clear it now supported 3G networks...

The iPhone 4, was because it was ACTUALLY the 4th model (and it worked because the third model was called the "3GS", allowing "4" to make even more sense).

9. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Can see the op's point, but naming phones by OS version is just as confusing to joe blow. Ask smart phone users what OS version is on their phone and nine out of ten (and that's very optimistic) can't tell you.

Any way you slice it, 6 coming after 4S is going to look funny to just about everybody that's not a nerd with an OCD involving device versions.

10. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Until Sept 12th, people are going to brainwash themselves into thinking it means the most obtuse thing (5 new products, 5 years of the iPhone, A5, 5" screen, etc.) or even convince themselves it's actually a 6 instead of 5 :rolleyes:

11. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

I don't understand why theres so much argument and gripe about what it's called...

You're going to buy it regardless if it's called the 5 or new iphone

12. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

The new iPhone Monacur will be used when the entire design changes.. When it's just a glass touch screen or when it about 80% glass. Honestly think it will come when the phone changes dramatically

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

14. 3rd Rock, Sep 5, 2012

3rd Rock macrumors 6502

I'm surprised that anyone would spend so much time venting, ranting, complaining, arguing over the numbered name game. Is there a behavior professional on this forum that can explain this ? This has been raised so many times now, it dumbfounding.

Must be age related or they use this forum as a social therapy site.. :p ;)

Attached Files:

15. Muro, Sep 5, 2012

Muro thread starter macrumors 6502

True but it really doeasn't matter if the older models have the same iOS. Former iMac models also have the latest OSX. I also think the 3g/3gs nor the iPhone 4 generation will not be technicallly ready to use all the features iOS 6 will have.

What I tried to say was that Apple like simplicity in their product range. Besides the iPhone all other products are named without any numbers, recently, we all know, the iPad also went through this transformation. So to stop all the discussions about which number it is, technically, commercially or otherwise. They could bring out every year a new iPhone guided by a new version of iOS. And it really doesn't matter if the iOS numbers aren't entirely in line with the previously iPhone numbers. What's important is that the iOS numbers are in line and consistent from now on and that have been the case since the iPhone first came out.

From now on it could be called the new iPhone model iOS 6 or build iOS 6 for everyone who is into Tech and facts. The average user, who doesn't care about the specs, just will say I have the latest iPhone or an older one. And see on the packaging iPhone and a simple iOS 6 sticker. Just like they do from now on with the new iPad, have a look at it's box. It just says iPad and on the box you find a sticker with the corresponding iOS version. This way the iPhone finally will be in line with all other Apple's product, just like iMac, MacBooks etc.

I myself also really don't see the whole numbering thing a big of a deal. But since I do see the discussions come by a lot, I thought to share my point of view from an other prespective so things may could clear up.

----------

Oh come on, this is a discussion site and we just debate on things that are even mentioned by adult, professional journalists and major Tech sites. Don't ask me why but it has become a hot and trending topic.

Of course it's just a minor thing but being here at MacRumors frequently we all can say we have a sort of twisted facination with Tech in general, even on the smallest things, but we love it and it's nothing to be ashamed about whether your 15 or 55.

16. Muro thread starter macrumors 6502

Neither did the iPad, do you hear anyone complain about it?! Really, it doesn't need to correspond to eachother from now on.

17. Furifo macrumors 6502

I'm not too bothered with what they're called. For some reason, in my mind, I've ALWAYS seen it like this:

iPhone (1st generation)
    iPhone 3g/3gs (2nd generation)
    iPhone 4/4s (3rd generation)
    Next iPhone (4th generation)

I see the 3g and 4 as 2.0 and 3.0 with the 3gs and 4s being 2.1 and 3.1 respectively. To my mind, that makes sense.

Or am I just overthinking things?!

I think Apple should have named it like their mac line and kept it as just 'iPhone'. People can just differentiate between them based on the year they were released like they do right now - e.g. "I have a 2010 iMac, shall I upgrade to a 2011 iMac?"