The most nerve-racking repair I have ever done.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ichabodkky, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ichabodkky macrumors member

Last Sunday, while goofing off with the gf, I threw something at my pillow "in anger" (like i said, we were goofing, so i wasn't mad at all) and heard this thud that could not have been a good sound. Sure enough, my iPhone 4S was under it with now a shattered screen. I was speechless. A total accident, and no one to blame but myself.

So, a decision to make. I have the money to replace it with an unlocked, off contract phone, but I really think that I can fix it. So off to the Internet I go, find the parts, and place the order.

The new screen and the screw drivers came in the mail today, and I decided there is no time like the present, let's crack Siri open and see what is inside. Thankfully, a quick search online lead me to a great video to assist me in this journey.

What an incredible piece of hardware. 28 screws, 8 ribbon connectors, (one voided warranty), and a LOT of patience (I'm not real good at that), my phone is back to almost new. The home button is not quite as snug because I dented the frame just below the home button when I shattered it.

$53.05 in all for the repair, But all in all, not bad. I hope I NEVER have to do it again. EVER!!!

Anybody else have a successful repair story they would be willing to share?

2. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

Wow man nice job! Hats off to u.

I'm a DIY type and I didnt have the nads to take this one on after watching the videos. Keeping track of all the fasteners and delicate ribbons.

I ended up chickening out and paying apple $150 out of warranty. :(

Go have a beer! Mission accomplished and you saved 100 bones. Plus now you can fix friends phones.

Can you link us to the video you used?

3. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Always nice to hear when someone successfully does their own repairs!

I'm one of those guys who believe that if someone else can do it, then I can do it, it's nothing to it but patience and having a good layup on how to place all the different screws so they go back exactly where they are supposed to, i have learned that the iPhone uses at least 5-6 different screws if not more, the funny thing is, they all look pretty much the same until you look up closely.

I have repaired almost 10 iPhones mostly for my friends for free, all successfully, everything from cracked screen to a mic that wouldn't output sound to both left/right and broken ribbons.

If you are a DIY guy, it's really no problem fixing an iPhone, it's just grabbing a hold of the "unknown" and get to know it a little and you're good to go :)

One thing i can recommend is to get genuine original parts if you can, because the cheap ebay parts are not the same thing, even if they work equally good they don't have that same feeling and perfect fit, which can ruin the feel of the phone.

4. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I tried to replace the casing on my old iPhone 3GS, and wound up breaking the whole thing. Snapped a piece off from the inside, lost another part, and when I put it back together, I couldn't figure out where one of the parts was supposed to go.... By the end of it, the phone turned back on, but the vibrator was broken and the screen didn't register any touch input.

Epic fail all around. From now on, I leave my repairs to the professionals.

5. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

Good job! But seeing as my deductible is cheaper than the cost to repair that screen...I'm happy I have AppleCare+ :cool:

6. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I replaced the screen on my old 4 when I upgraded to the 4S and gave that to my wife.
    It wasn't too bad really. Just tedious and need to be very organized with how you set out the parts and the screws. iFixIt have a great walkthrough.

I also fixed the screen on my old 3G that my son uses as an iPod. That couldn't have been easier. Changed in 5 minutes.

7. Macman45, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

+1 Same Here

I'm happy to upgrade RAM, but as for working on my iPhones? Years ago when the eyesight was good I would have tackled anything, but now I have my Applecare to resort to if things go wrong.

Must have built in excess of 1000 Windows PC's from scratch back in the day, but I wouldn't dream of cracking open my iMac or my notebooks or iPad either.

Well done though....Young eyesight helps, and with age I don't throw pillows around anymore so I should be okay:)

8. daaneel macrumors regular

Sounds like one of my repair stories except something went wrong when I put it back together (on my iPhone 4). I was trying to replace the home home button and as you all know you have to remove the digitizer/lcd to do it. Well... when I was putting back the lcd/digitizer there is a cable that goes through the metal frame of the iphone which I didnt pull all the way through..as a result some excess cable was between the lcd and the metal frame of my iphone.. as I was tightening I noticed the screen wasn't sitting right but I had no clue why and thought it just needed to be pushed in... later when my iPhone was all together I powered that badboy up only to notice I had a cracked my screen. WTF face. I took it back apart and noticed that I hadn't pulled the ribbon cable all the way through the frame and as I was tightening it I was pushing the lcd against the excess cable which... broke my lcd :( ..... man... i ended up spending $50 for a $4 (home button) repair....

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They sure do fit a lot into that small device. I broke an iPod Touch trying to open it. First the screen cracked (not into pieces, but you could see a curved in the glass), then I accidentally touched the actual screen which pretty much ruined it, and then I ripped the battery connecter out of the motherboard at which point I just threw it in the trash bin.

11. ichabodkky thread starter macrumors member

Attached Files:

12. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Got a before/after shot?
    Good job, I`ve done a back panel before but would not fancy doing the front screen at all.

13. ichabodkky thread starter macrumors member

this was the screen that I took off.

After looks normal as normal can be.

Attached Files:

14. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Geez almighty, you weren't kidding. Glad you got it fixed man.