The most reliable ways to use siri productively

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PeteLP, Nov 13, 2011.

1. PeteLP, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

PeteLP macrumors regular

If you've been using Siri a lot, as I have, you may have found, that most things are intuitive and require no thought at all. A few others are a little more challenging, either because siri misunderstands a word or two and things go bad, or because she misunderstands your intent. The most reliable methods use multiple syllables for keywords so that they are more likely to be properly understood.

I thought it would be useful to have a thread (hopefully sticky) that list the most consistently reliable ways to do productive things with Siri. Here are some that are working well for me:

Appointments
    I've found a lot ways to go wrong with appointments.
    One approach that never fails me:
    "New calendar event on Thursday at 6pm about clothes shopping"

Messaging
    "New message to Elizabeth about Call me later."

Reminders
    "Remind me to get a haircut on Thursday at 6pm"

Music
    "Play Milestones by Gerald Wilson"

Finding Businesses
    "Find the best car wash within 7 miles"
    Siri will find all car washes with 7 miles, and will sort them by yelp rating.

I'd love to hear some more tips

Pete

2. zelaya macrumors 6502

I've noticed this issue as well specially when I'm dictating a note through text.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I find saying "Pause" when music is playing Siri will pause it. But when I say "Play it back" it doesn't understand it. However, saying "Resume music" will play it again.

4. AnionicStrength macrumors member

I like the following better:
    "Send message to Bob about begin quote Don't forget to bring the beer exclamation mark end quote."

If you say new message, sometimes it tries to tell me if there are any new messages from that individual. The quotes also help Siri know exactly what you want to say.

5. Jimbo47, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

For adding calendar events (I do it all the time for my work schedule) I say "create an event titled work for Friday 11-7"

Hasn't failed me yet. Its pretty good at knowing am and pm too without me saying it, just by using common sense I guess.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Great thread! Looking forward to reading more ideas...

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

All I say for messaging is: Text Bob Jones I am on my way. Always works for me.

Michael