The most stupid thing apple had done (in my opinion)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by deux-ex-mak, Feb 2, 2011.

1. deux-ex-mak macrumors newbie

The most stupid thing apple had done: to try and re-invent the wheel. That stupid flat useless keyboard !! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I´m an editor and have a beautiful FCP logickeyboard with the disgrace that the space key is damaged. (No fix here, I dismounted and cleaned the whole thing carefully, I did check with a proper electrical measuring device that the printed circuit was broken).

So now what... !!? I refuse to pay a fortune for a new FCP flat keyboard. I consider this move from apple the worst ever: you can´t re-invet the wheel !

If you can qwerty typewriting, like I do, you realize very quickly that that flat senseless thing just doesn´t have the proper feel. I mean I obviously don´t use the keyboard just for FCP. I write, I like to qwerty type, I like to type fast. And this flat thing is just useless ! I talked to an apple rep and the answer was ¨it´s much better, it doesn´t get dirty¨... Sorry pal, I´m old enough to cover my keyboard and do whatever is needed to keep it clean !

So there you go... I´m trying to find shops around which have the good old model -just the previous one I mean, trying to find second hand ones (maybe being lucky enough to just replace the keys and have my good old FCP working fully again)

Any advices?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Funny because the space key on my Apple aluminum keyboard stopped working and I switched to a Logitech keyboard. My fingers literally hurt and it felt very unnatural to have to press a key SOOOOOOOOO FAAAAAAARRRR DOWNNNNNN.... I miss the flat Apple keyboard.

3. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

I love the flat keyboard. I touch type, write computer code, etc. and have no issues using it what so ever.

And I hated the old keyboard, would just accumulate dust/dirt for no reason, was always blowing it out. Pretty nasty at times.

YMMV.

4. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

It is a (relatively) simple device so you might be able to find a local electronics shop who can repair the circuit board if that really is the problem.

5. simsaladimbamba

6. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Keyboards are a very subjective thing - I spend 12+ hours a day at my keyboard and my personal opinion is that the Apple keyboard is quite simply the best keyboard I have ever used.
    I can type quicker on it than other keyboards (I touch type), and the short travel and light touch makes it much, much more comfortable than other keyboards.

8. 2manyg macrumors newbie

The logic keyboard in question simply came as a pack of keys from logickeyboard.com, you simply switched the keys from your Apple Keyboard with the new keys supplied.

The simple and cheap option here is to pick up a second hand non flat Apple Keyboard and switch the keys.

9. autacraft Guest

+1

The short key travel and the fact my palms are virtually in a flat postion (no arching of hands) on the keys when touch typing is AMAZING. Its completely ergonomic, but yes - personal preference.

I would say though, that if you actually prefer raised keys on a higher profile keyboard, you might be doing yourself long term damage.

I actually found this a similar initial issue with the new magic mouse. I first tried it and thought to myself "god, that is just a terrible design"...way way too low profile (seems to just disappear below the palm) but literally, after a days use, I thought it was just the most fantastic and brilliant design. It actually relaxes your hand into quite a comfortable way of doing things.

I'm a graphic designer and work on average 60 hour weeks. The flat keyboard and magic mouse are indispensable in my opinion, wouldn't change them.

10. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I love the Apple Keyboard, It's beautiful and it feels very natural to type on it (In my opinion), The space bar on mine stopped working to and I bought a Logitech K340 which is the Equivalent of it, Soft Keys, smallish design, and it has a NumPad while being wireless and costs 20$ less

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

IJ donntjk ithkn teherh si af roplefme wignfth Anpp;le kerkyborasfsfds. ehtyy aret gratekte.

13. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

lol.
    I find I make more typo`s on Apple keyboards if I try typing too fast.
    Dunno why...

14. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

I've only ever had this M$ keyboard for the life of my 4+ y/o mini though I wonder how one of the flatter keyboards would work. My hands rest on the plastic shelf provided for the keyboard but as I put my hands flat on the table and simulate typing it seems like it would work.

My keyboard grump is that they tend to be "one size fits all" and I have large hands.