Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaynek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Hey guys, I'm looking around for a 23" monitor to hook my MBP up to, and am on a tight budget. I know I could buy the dell 23" refurb for $600, but I would rather have an apple monitor (partially for looks, I admit, but not completely ruling out Dell). I'm a little hesitant about the new apple 23" monitor, because its a little outside my budget, but I've seen some of the old Apple 23" monitors on ebay for around 700 bucks (these are the ones in the glass casing which would require the dvi adapter, which I have, but its being used by the G5 tower, but I could probably use it anyway, we dont use the g5 anymore).

So, I was just wandering what peoples opinions are of how much an older 23" apple monitor would be worth, is it worth paying $700ish for or not? Does the ACD to DVI adapter sacrifice quality and color? (I have one hooked up to a 15" acd next to a 17" acd on my g5 tower and the 15" display looks a little darker, maybe its just not setup right). Should I wait until after MWSF and maybe if new monitors are released, the old ones (new now) will go on sale? Or just go with the dell (I'd really get frustrated seeing that monitor not match my apple keyboard and mouse, I know its silly, but...)

Thanks.

winchest

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2006
Also with the rumor that new displays will be announced shortly at MWSF...you might wait and see if this drives down the prices of the current ACDs.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
i was trying to do the same thing as you a few months back. ultimately, i decided it just wasnt worth it b/c i could get a brand new monitor from dell or samsung for much less. sure, the old ACD look beautiful and all, but i just couldnt feel right paying that much for that old of a monitor. i was on a tight budget myself and altho i decided to just forget the whole idea, i woulda gotten a dell if i could. someone above put it best, its that much closer to not working given its age. i think that if you are on a budget then forget it but if you have money to blow then go ahead and indulge yourself

shaynek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
dell for video editing?

Would the Dell be good enough for video editing and light graphics and photo work? I'm starting to get used to the look of the dell, I've seen some setups posted on here that still looked good. I'm just wandering about the colors and quality of the Dell, especially because all I use the computer for is video work.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Taken into consideration that the original price for the old 23" Cinema Display was $4000, I'd say 300-400 bucks. It's still a good display.;)

Here is a buy it now for around $350.

shaynek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Yeah, thats a good deal, but I'm looking for the 23" HD display.

chris y.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
los angeles, ca
i think LCD tech has evolved enough that its no longer worth paying that much for a monitor. And I agree with the wornout backlight comment, I recently found out apple charges around 500 bucks for a simple backlight replacement.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
i wouldnt get an ACD...as pretty as it looks im not sure if they are really worth it...i would be very weary about buying an older monitor...it has burn out written all over it...if you could get a warranty...itd be nice...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.