The Music Library is Gone in watch OS 4 [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by blairh, Sep 19, 2017.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

One of my favorite things to do with my AW is to browse and select music from my iTunes Match library on my AW. Now we can no longer do this with watchOS 4. WHY?!?!?!

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

They want you to subscribe to their crappy Apple Music subscription service perhaps?

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

And also buy the AW LTE? That's absurd.

4. BigAppleNYC123, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Apple gives two choices:

1. Choose playlists on iphone and sync them over to the watch (2GB storage)
    2. Start playing on the iphone and use watch as remote

You can no longer browse your whole library.

5. punchdrunk55 macrumors member

Just updates to watch os 4 and it seems I no longer able to choose music to play on my phone? I used to be able to scroll through all the music on my phone and choose something to play?

If they took this away then that's just maddening and the next question I will be asking is if there is a way to downgrade back to OS 3.

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

That is absolutely ridiculous.

7. punchdrunk55 macrumors member

This honestly is one of the dumbest things ever. I wish I could go back 3 hours and never have upgraded. Son of a gun this sucks

8. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I'm dumbfounded by this change. I suggest you send your thoughts to Apple via their feedback page. Hopefully this will change at some point. This is ridiculous.

9. CowardlyRion macrumors newbie

Testing watch apps for same feature, Equalizer+ PRO works! Now to find a better one as this one cannot navigate by artist, album, etc.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

You can still use Siri on the watch to start playing music on the phone and use now playing from there to control it like before. I don’t understand why there can’t be an option to use the watch as a phone remote vs playing local files. They had that option in watchOS 1.

11. BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Can you pair the Apple Watch with Bluetooth headphones, and play music off of it?

12. CowardlyRion macrumors newbie

Yes, found another app, NePlayer Lite. I connected AirPods to iPhone and am now able to control music from iPhone (through NePlayer Apple Watch app).

13. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Well, I just know there are this many people that do something like this. I've never use the watch to browse music library before. Browsing on the phone is so much better and faster.

14. danny842003 macrumors 6502

danny842003

That's disappointing I use it at work with a Bluetooth speaker and have found it handy if my phone was on my desk whilst working around the workshop.

15. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

It’s madness that Apple would take this functionality away. It’s another deliberate step to force us to subscribe to their music service and LTE. I would love Apple to explain what the driver was to take this function away.
    If the watch was capable of storing 15 to 20 gb of music then i cold understand their reasoning as there was would less dependency on the phone but I don’t want to have to constantly sync albums and playlists to my watch depending on my mood at the time. It means that I can’t leave my phone at home if I want to listen to music that I haven’t synced to the watch

16. Sword86 macrumors member

I BT some earbuds and the watch to my phone and control it on the watch or, load a big playlist into the watch's onboard storage. I loaded 81 songs that used 606 MB of the 2 G. The latter is when you want to put the phone in a gym locker, or whatever out of BT range. The vast majority of the time I use either wired or BT buds. S

17. Anuba, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I am a subscriber. Think that helps? No. I only see the fraction of my library that I copied to the Watch against my will. I don’t want a single byte of music on the damn watch. I want to use it only as a remote for whatever is being played on the iPhone, like I always did. This is the dumbest, most perplexing, intrusive and destructive change of this whole iOS/watchOS package. Why weren’t testers up in arms over this? Why are those responsible for this idea not being strapped to breaking wheels right now?

Adding insult to injury, copying music to the Watch takes a hundred years.

Didn’t think anything would make me abandon Apple Music and return to Spotify, but here I go (there are a handful of 3rd party Spotify apps for the Watch, and an official one in the works). Apple Music just destroyed its USP.

I was also looking forward to ditching Runkeeper now that Apple’s own workout app would be able to start playlists automatically. But given that it can only play playlists stored on the Watch, I will use only Runkeeper in the future.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    In that case they maybe should’ve waited until it’s available everywhere. In most countries you can only get the GPS version.

18. Ryankontos macrumors member

Ryankontos

I might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the reason they removed the iPhone library from the Music app was to declutter it in preparation for whenever they add Apple Music to the watch. (I think it’s comimg to all Watches in watchOS 4.1, not just Series 3)

19. jallenclark macrumors regular

I cancelled my S3 order and will be canceling my Apple Music. I have no idea what I am going to do moving forward but this change is a deal breaker for me. I constantly switch playlists from my watch while running (2 hour runs) which I can no longer easily do without getting my phone out.

Anyone have any good plans after this change?

20. Anuba, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Weirdly, Siri on the Watch will still interface with the library on your iPhone just fine. So the portal to your full library is still there, but you can’t browse it visually. Once Siri has dug out the requested music she passes the torch to the Now Playing widget.

Taking this new solution to its logical conclusion, Siri on the Watch should only be aware of the music on the actual Watch, just like the Music app, so this is a loophole of sorts.

21. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Please take a moment to leave Apple feedback if you are angry about this. Mention in your message that 4.0 has taken away this feature that you enjoyed greatly. For some reason you cannot select 4.0 as the OS you are currently using, so please specify in your message that 4.0 removed a feature you used often. Thank you.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html

22. punchdrunk55 macrumors member

Feedback left. Going to e-mail all the execs at apple as well. Pretty much all of their e-mails are easily written to.
    Tcook@apple.com for example

23. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

You guys are jumping the gun a little. According to the keynote there is supposed to be an update to Music for the Watch in October. I would assume that the update would coincide with the release of the new Nike versions. But may coincide with the late October keynote where they discuss Mac and HomePod.

24. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

There is a late October keynote? Doesn't seem like they have anything left to announce this year.

25. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Usually every late-October they have one to discuss Mac. Since HomePod wasn’t discussed further at the Sept keynote. I would assume it would be discussed further here with the announcement of when preorders go live.