The names in the Panama Papers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Apr 4, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think Cameron's father is probably the most damning figure found so far - but it isn't pretty for Iceland either.

You can invest abroad without having any money offshore. That said even if you want to buy real shares offshore in their local currency you'd be buying them in a country like the UK or Germany or China where you pay real taxes.*

* Although to be fair the US and UK are also guilty of allowing tax dodging.

3. juanm, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Because when you diversify, the safe obvious choice is to invest in a central american country. Wink wink.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am not sure we can say that with any confidence. it will be interesting to see how many bankers responsible for a certain 2007 bubble are on the list...

In any case, if I had any power I would make the tax havens, which tend to be puny countries, comply with international law or face being crushed militarily like over-ripe mangoes. But that's just me.

5. 617aircav Suspended

I keep seeing Putin as the headline on mainstream media websites, yet he is not even named in it.

6. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

When his closest friend, a cello player, moves hundreds of millions on an offshore account, it doesn't take a soviet rocket scientist to know that he's just the front man.

7. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Nope, the OECD following through with their own rules would have been enough.

Put up a list containing ALL tax havens and make it illegal for banks to deal with them and reverse the burden of proof on any money found there (read costumers would have to proof that it is legally earned and taxed).

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

In 2011 Panama forced Spain (then at the height of the recession) into taking it off the tax havens list in exchange of allowing two Spanish companies to compete for a large contract to modernise the canal. Don't you love shady deals?

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Crushing them militarily also gives access to their accounts and records - provided it is done swiftly enough. :D

10. 617aircav Suspended

How do you know his involvement ? Ukrainian president is on there. I wonder how much of it is US tax payers money.

11. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

So, another name to add to the list: Dominique Strauss Kahn. DSK, former head of the IMF* was a partner in a firm in Luxembourg that managed accounts in Panama to help tax evaders.

http://www.lemonde.fr/evasion-fisca...issement-de-strauss-kahn_4896612_4862750.html

Let's take the opportunity to remember who the last three IMF directors are:
    - Rodrigo Rato: currently standing trial for fraud, embezzlement, money laundering in several multi-billion cases
    - DSK: multiple rape accusations, pimping... and now this.
    - Christine Lagarde, who has a history of -alleged- corruption and is now facing trial for negligence in a multi-million arbitration deal.

I'm curious to see what will this leak result in. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't mind seeing the laws changed to allow for harsher sentences for white collar crimes, now that we're at it. In any case, many thanks to whoever leaked the data.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 6, 2016 ---
    Mmmh, let's see, the most powerful man in Russia has not one but several close friends, who have at least two billion in offshore bank accounts and investments, managed by the same law firm... It's not a proof, obviously, but the coincidence is striking nonetheless.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm reading that the published names have been selective: All are in countries targeted by US NeoCon interests. Few if any are from the US.

13. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Better than nothing. It's the main argument brandished by those who have found their names on the list while they play the victim. So far, the PM of Iceland has proven that the leak is accurate, along with many others.

Just remember, this is just part of it. The rest of the documents will be published in early may.

14. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

So, it took a few days, but David Cameron finally admitted to the obvious: he did have a stake in an offshore company for 13 years. He could have confessed straight away, but instead he made a pig's ear of it.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It wasn't to avoid tax though :rolleyes:

16. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Amusingly,

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...rillions-of-dollars-in-plain-sight-2016-04-07
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2016 ---
    We keep getting told how government interference in the free market has led to so much hurt. Yet how "hurt" and "interference" are defined never are. Especially after decades of deregulation and tax breaks, and how the US is nowhere near the highest taxed country in the world (or people who claim that still pretend it's 1952 :rolleyes: )... the devil is in the details, I suppose.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How would you know? Isn't he like 3 years late in releasing his tax returns?

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Another rat is smoked out of his hole and stands blinking in the sunlight.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

From that article: